Is the music at the Squares unbearably LOUD?

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2019, 02:11 PM

Agree! I won't go to the squares anymore for that reason. MUSIC WAY TOO LOUD!
Old 11-28-2019, 03:56 PM

What about the band that played that set the other week? Tony says is was not enough for him to hear! Betty though so too!
Old 11-28-2019, 04:46 PM
Veteran member

Don't sit next to the speakers ;-)
Old 11-28-2019, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,223 Posts

My Apple Watch Noise app often triggers over 90 dB at the squares in the seating areas.

More than 30 minutes day or over 4 hrs a week at that level can cause hearing loss.

Impact may be more diminished in those with cumulitive hearing loss but I'd be especially careful limiting the time with children in the squares.

How to Protect Your Hearing With the Apple Watch Noise App | PCMag.com
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	50B55B35-E0A2-4427-9016-B65FCB8EF755.png
Views:	90
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	82043  
Old 11-28-2019, 06:36 PM
Veteran member

Better enjoy the performers while you can. Most of them will be getting deaf soon, so new acts will need to take their place.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
My Apple Watch Noise app often triggers over 90 dB at the squares in the seating areas.

More than 30 minutes day or over 4 hrs a week at that level can cause hearing loss.

Impact may be more diminished in those with cumulitive hearing loss but I'd be especially careful limiting the time with children in the squares.

How to Protect Your Hearing With the Apple Watch Noise App | PCMag.com

I have the A.W. 4 also but use another APP called Decibel X Pro. As I mentioned in an earlier post that app has a coupe times hit over 100db at the square by the booze house and often above 90db sitting in front of Starbucks for the louder groups. The answer is NOT "move out of The Villages" or "go somewhere else to listen to music". It is just possible they have their levels turned up a bit high at various times. For the SAME BAND (Johnny Wild as a specific example) sometimes it is not bad but sometimes it is painful. They have no set levels. The guy from the sound booth runs all around playing with the levels on his tablet. He controls each connected instrument, and each microphone. individually. The "consistency" changed after LSL and SS squares upgraded their sound system and lighting. Brownwood always had the newer equipment. Sometimes even the
relatively "quiet" solo performer with the prerecorded music behind her has vocal volume turned way too high. They are not as bothersome but still not properly balanced for the area and way above what it should be for the size of the listening area.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Better enjoy the performers while you can. Most of them will be getting deaf soon, so new acts will need to take their place.
Like Rocky and the Elders?
Old 11-28-2019, 07:33 PM
Veteran member

Every concert I've ever been to, and I've seen many of the greats, was loud. IMHO, unless you're listening to ballads, love songs, or the old standards, rock n' roll is supposed to be loud. Maybe a pair of foam earplugs might be the answer.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:21 PM

Yes some residents may be hard of hearing but with the loud music we will all develop hearing problems. Usually the break time music is much lower and tolerable. There a difference in loud and intolerable!!
Old 11-28-2019, 10:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
Every concert I've ever been to, and I've seen many of the greats, was loud. IMHO, unless you're listening to ballads, love songs, or the old standards, rock n' roll is supposed to be loud. Maybe a pair of foam earplugs might be the answer.
THese are NOT CONCERTS that you are going to in professional venues. it's daily entertainment for the Villages "in the park." You're missing the point (well, my point, maybe not everyone's). We've gone just about every night for the last 2 1/2 years and the music was never THIS loud. It changed markedly and varies greatly. Loud is one thing, painful is another. It was not always that way. Now the same band on 2 different appearances at the same place can be twice as loud as the time before which was only a week or 2 earlier. These shows aren't intended for people in their 20's and 30's it for people generally 55+++. There is no need for dangerously loud music especially when it is different for the same band from one performance to the next. It's NOT THE BAND, it's the guy playing with sound levels in the booth.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 11-28-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
THese are NOT CONCERTS that you are going to in professional venues. it's daily entertainment for the Villages "in the park." You're missing the point (well, my point, maybe not everyone's). We've gone just about every night for the last 2 1/2 years and the music was never THIS loud. It changed markedly and varies greatly. Loud is one thing, painful is another. It was not always that way. Now the same band on 2 different appearances at the same place can be twice as loud as the time before which was only a week or 2 earlier. These shows aren't intended for people in their 20's and 30's it for people generally 55+++. There is no need for dangerously loud music especially when it is different for the same band from one performance to the next. It's NOT THE BAND, it's the guy playing with sound levels in the booth.
We go sometimes in the evenings to LSL for a sit out dinner. The last two times, the music has been so loud, that we could not carry on a conversation over dinner. Probably will avoid LSL in the evenings, until things get back to normal db ranges
Old 11-29-2019, 06:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN View Post
I am trying to post a new idea but can’t find where you click on new post. My question is does anyone know for sure if they will be charging for premier seating at New Years squares. Three very good entertainers. Scooter, Johnny Wild, and the hooligans. I’m sure if they charged 50 bucks to see a tree lighting, they will charge for New Years eve
Good question.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:14 AM

Most enjoy the added vibes the added volume produced!
Old 11-29-2019, 07:50 AM

The music has to be loud for those that desire to hear it...This, B/C everyone sitting around, are loudly yapping away to everyone around them..Really, not there to listen to music! NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 11-29-2019, 08:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
It's NOT THE BAND, it's the guy playing with sound levels in the booth.
That is not true.

When Johnny Wild was playing at LSL a few days ago, one of the band members asked to have the volume increased.

After they sang "Surfin Safari" at a reasonable volume at the beginning of the second set, the curly haired guy on Johnny's left asked to have the amplifiers increased, and the next piece of music was unbearable. So we left.
Closed Thread

Tags
music, lake, loud, stand, sat

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.