Is the music at the Squares unbearably LOUD?

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2019, 07:58 PM
Location: Formerly Village of Gilchrist, now Pensacola Villas

There is a t-shirt that they sell at the Rock Hall in CLeveland.....If it’s too loud, you’re too old!
Old 12-15-2019, 10:10 AM

I don't believe it's the bands that are setting the level. It has gotten much louder over the years! And, no I don't wear a hearing aid! :-)
Old 02-27-2020, 12:01 PM
Talking Loud Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Uncle Bob's Rock Shop, Penta, The Hooligans, American Martian, Smokin Torpedoes.....the louder the better.
Steve
"if its too loud your too old"
Old 02-27-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
In my opinion, yes. Since last spring or summer or whenever it was when they installed new sound systems. We used to go into the square almost every night for the "loud" rock bands like Johhny Wild and it was bearable sitting in the middle areas. Now when we sit outside across the street at Starbucks very often it's impossible to carry on a conversation with others at the table. I have a sound measuring app on my phone which has been pretty highly rated as being quite accurate and very often it reaches 90db and occasionally the "dangerous" area of 100db and this is outside across the street at Starbucks. Of course it depends on the band and the type of music but those same R&R bands were very bearable in the square in the past but now are unbearable even across the street. My hearing is fine, just had it checked 3 days ago. I like loud music, but it has become painful at times recently. It's partly the fault of the guy running around with the iPad adjusting sound levels. I think he is hard of hearing.
Wow that is louder than my 80 db Harley exhaust
Old 02-27-2020, 12:41 PM

I have logged decades of listening to loud music as a disk jockey. It has done its damage, and I have significant hearing loss because of all those on air hours. Over time it does real harm. Now I need $5000 hearing aids. I understand enjoying loud music occasionally, but I need to protect what hearing I have left. I spend little time in the square if the band is too loud. I’m waiting for an acoustic quartet without 10kw of audio. Just stay away from the square if the music is too loud, there are lots of things too do in the villages that don’t cause pain, and damage your hearing. Earplugs anyone?
Old 02-27-2020, 08:23 PM

I'm a future Villager and I go to a lot of concerts. My wife and I always have a pair of ear plugs with us. They make acoustic ear plugs specifically for concerts and you can get a nice pair for about $40. They let certain frequencies in more than others so you get a better audio listening experience from them than you would with foam. Sometimes we wear them, sometimes not. Sometimes I'll just wear one for an ear that faces a speaker tower, or I'll wear them only partially in if the music isn't super load or is just bass heavy.

If you're going to be around a lot of live music, keep a set with you (or in my case my wife's purse).

We were just down there for another visit with my parents last weekend and got to see the Hooligans at Brownwood. One of my biggest concerns about getting to the Villages too early is my different taste in music than what I've seen at the squares. When I saw the Hooligans and the ginormous crowd completely digging the music I love, I just grinned and grinned and grinned. Can't wait to get there!
Old 02-28-2020, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Now when we sit outside across the street at Starbucks very often it's impossible to carry on a conversation with others at the table.
This statement always gets me. Why would you go to a place where loud music is being played to converse? If you want to have a conversation, you shouldn't go to a place where loud music, especially rock and roll is being played.

Carrying on a conversation while a band is playing is, IMHO, disrespectful to the musicians who have worked, and are working so hard to entertain you.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Quote:

Now when we sit outside across the street at Starbucks very often it's impossible to carry on a conversation with others at the table.
This statement always gets me. Why would you go to a place where loud music is being played to converse? If you want to have a conversation, you shouldn't go to a place where loud music, especially rock and roll is being played.

Carrying on a conversation while a band is playing is, IMHO, disrespectful to the musicians who have worked, and are working so hard to entertain you.
Ummmm, wait a second here. Firstly they aren't entertaining ME they are entertaining those who went to see/hear them who are sitting in the music area across the street. Others outside the music area may or may not be there to enjoy the music. Secondly that is where the restaurants are which is why one would go there.

Starbucks (and other restaurants) are businesses across the street from and out of the "music area" where quite often people like to gather to drink coffee or have dinner and have a relaxed conversation with friends and family as are many other places outside of the entertainment area. So you are saying it is "disrespectful to the musicians" to go to a restaurant like Starbucks to sit outside in the square OUTSIDE the "music area" and have a conversation and you shouldn't go out to eat and sit outside (and often inside) on any ANY nice EVENING between 5 and 9 at any of the squares 7 nights a week just because you don't like loud music while you are trying to digest a meal and you shouldn't talk because you'd insult the musicians. NOW THAT is funny!

Last edited by EdFNJ; 02-28-2020 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:39 AM
Veteran member

Maybe we should call OSHA?
Old 02-29-2020, 04:48 PM
Veteran member

Hmmm. I was at Lake Sumter a couple of weeks ago for the Spazmatics and I thought it wasn't loud *enough*!
Old 02-29-2020, 10:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Why would you go to a place where loud music is being played to converse?
Sometimes they play a song that we do not like and my wife and I like to say a few words to each other.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:02 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Yes

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-01-2020, 12:30 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Exactly my point and experience. Many folks here have my favorite intelligent answer to solve every comment which I see in just about every thread where someone complains (ie. posts their opinion) about something they don't agree with:

1) If you don't like it here move
2) Quit whining
3) grow up
4) move further away
5) eat somewhere else
yada yada yada

And my personal favorite “get a life.”
Meaning do not ever complain about anything.

Tags
music, lake, loud, stand, sat

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.