Must See Must Do. Dec 7-15.

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2019, 09:23 AM
Default Must See Must Do. Dec 7-15.

Coming down to TV round 2. My wife and I will be visiting Dec 7-15 with another couple. If we are as close as I think we are then you will want us to see or do this... Seriously or Funny all welcome.Thanks in advance!
Old 11-23-2019, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Vernon View Post
Coming down to TV round 2. My wife and I will be visiting Dec 7-15 with another couple. If we are as close as I think we are then you will want us to see or do this... Seriously or Funny all welcome.Thanks in advance!
I read all of your nine posts. (YOU will love it here!) Based on your interests, here are my suggestions;

Visit the Creekside Healthcare Center very close to Lake Sumter Landing and pick up some information and chat up the girls behind the information desk.

Drive around neighborhoods and see how people take care of things. I think you will find the same pride and work ethic you have lived.

Take a trolley ride. It is free and usually fun with the well trained narrator often a hoot.

Talk to anyone, come and drop in on us; Grace, Henry and Helene and see our neighborhood and talk to real people who live here and love it. Message first, so I can pick up the newspaper.

Talk to people at the rec centers..drop in on any of the art and craft groups at Laurel Manor rec center on 466. We get visitors all of the time and they like to see the Kiln and the paintings on the wall and the storage room with the sculpture in progress.

Stop by at Arnold Palmer Golf club and have one of their amazing hamburgers for lunch.

Visit the Publix on 466 and see how clean it is and how nice their help is and also notice as I have a time or two, that there are a lot of old people living here.

Stop by at Church Row on 466 and talk to the nice folks in the offices there.

And sir?

WELCOME HOME.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I read all of your nine posts. (YOU will love it here!) Based on your interests, here are my suggestions;

Visit the Creekside Healthcare Center very close to Lake Sumter Landing and pick up some information and chat up the girls behind the information desk.

Drive around neighborhoods and see how people take care of things. I think you will find the same pride and work ethic you have lived.

Take a trolley ride. It is free and usually fun with the well trained narrator often a hoot.

Talk to anyone, come and drop in on us; Grace, Henry and Helene and see our neighborhood and talk to real people who live here and love it. Message first, so I can pick up the newspaper.

Talk to people at the rec centers..drop in on any of the art and craft groups at Laurel Manor rec center on 466. We get visitors all of the time and they like to see the Kiln and the paintings on the wall and the storage room with the sculpture in progress.

Stop by at Arnold Palmer Golf club and have one of their amazing hamburgers for lunch.

Visit the Publix on 466 and see how clean it is and how nice their help is and also notice as I have a time or two, that there are a lot of old people living here.

And sir?

WELCOME HOME.
My solitary vote for the nicest response ever, anywhere. Thanks so much!
Old 11-23-2019, 09:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

And sir?

WELCOME HOME.
GG I love the joy you have of this place. I do as well my friend.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:40 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I think Gracie pretty much said it all. At the top of the list should be the trolley ride. You can make an appointment for it when you pick up your passes if they’re resident passes. Otherwise, just call the Sales Office to make an amount. The only thing to add is be sure and go to town squares in the evening. Enjoy the music and talk to folks. Most of us love to brag about how lucky we are to have landed here.

Have a great time and as any Southerner will tell you, “Y’all come back now, ya hear!”

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-24-2019, 10:12 AM
Default I the 4 of you are golfing .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Vernon View Post
From some of your previous posts I think you are planning to bring or rent golf clubs for this trip. I also believe you are staying in or near the village of Hemingway.
If so, I'd recommend playing Championship Courses at both nearby Havana CC and Mallory Hill CC. Both of these Country Clubs are also great choices for lunch or dinner after golf.
If you haven't played any of the Executive Courses yet, I'd highly recommend you play one or more of the following nearby exec courses; Roosevelt, Truman, Bogart, Bacall.
My wife absolutely loves the Executive Courses and it's the main reason we selected The Villages instead of other nearby retirement communities. I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of all the Exec Courses, and they can all be challenging to play, especially from the black tees.
I hope you and your friends have a great visit!
Old 11-25-2019, 06:07 AM

Avoid north of 441 (“Historical Side”is a code word for slummy) .... and south of 44 unless you like quarry blasting, prison lights and announcements and Turnpike road hum, and a dearth of golf courses and restaurants (unless you like food trucks with health citations).

Last edited by Cranford61; 11-25-2019 at 06:14 AM. Reason: More specificity
Old 11-25-2019, 06:26 AM

Slummy?You just insulted thousands of proud homeowners. Otherwise, Gracie has good advice and enjoy your stay.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:52 AM
Cool Historical Side Slummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranford61 View Post
Avoid north of 441 (“Historical Side”is a code word for slummy) .... and south of 44 unless you like quarry blasting, prison lights and announcements and Turnpike road hum, and a dearth of golf courses and restaurants (unless you like food trucks with health citations).

My husband and I rented in the "historical slums" in April of this year. I found the neighborhood very friendly, active and welcoming. It was a great way to experience the lifestyle and be able to use the golf cart to get to every square. When we went to the Pickle Ball Courts and the bocce ball courts the people welcomed us as if they knew us. The people there are certainly older and now aging out. But the lovely homes replacing the manufactured ones are very nice, NO BOND and among matured landscapes. Not everyone can afford the later developed areas and after experiencing the older area I felt more welcome than some of the other areas we rented. It is also a wonderful first home for those who can see the future. It is a bit insulting to those who keep their manufactured homes and larger yards beautiful. Give the older, original people a break. Your remarks do not reflect welcome to the many looking for a home. Also, I see younger retirees moving to the newest areas. The current areas will look like the "original" before you know it.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:56 AM

I'm "A" resident of "south of 44" and wouldn't change location for nothing in this world! Proud of the people there and having the best of two worlds.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw Man View Post
From some of your previous posts I think you are planning to bring or rent golf clubs for this trip. I also believe you are staying in or near the village of Hemingway.
If so, I'd recommend playing Championship Courses at both nearby Havana CC and Mallory Hill CC. Both of these Country Clubs are also great choices for lunch or dinner after golf.
If you haven't played any of the Executive Courses yet, I'd highly recommend you play one or more of the following nearby exec courses; Roosevelt, Truman, Bogart, Bacall.
My wife absolutely loves the Executive Courses and it's the main reason we selected The Villages instead of other nearby retirement communities. I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of all the Exec Courses, and they can all be challenging to play, especially from the black tees.
I hope you and your friends have a great visit!
Last time I visited in June I played two championship courses and our cart ride took us by Havana CC looked very nice. Will try that this time. I am looking forward to playing some Executive courses as well thanks for the information.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:04 AM

I love how people love to spread the "bad" they "hear" about the newer neighborhoods of The Villages. I will assume they have never set foot there! Every time I go "South" (yes...to the Food Trucks and Edna's...both yummy ..or to play golf..great courses) I think that I wish I could move there. There is something wonderful about being "new" together. Instead you may have to move next to someone like Cranford61 who sounds like a crank!
Welcome to The Villages..anything you decide to do will be awesome. DO visit ALL areas...you won't regret it!
Old 12-03-2019, 04:52 PM
Send a message via AIM to newgirl

Slummy? Really? There are no bad areas in The Villages. The older section has the best of everything from landscaping to shopping, neighbors don't care if you have a cross in your yard, they care about each other.
Your words told the world what a ugly soul you have.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
You may think the things you shared but putting them into words and sharing them with the rest of the people on the Forum services no useful purpose whatsoever.

Slummy, are you serious? I can't see how the post I quoted can stand but I'm not reporting it.

I'll let the people you slimed fight the battle over your assessment of their HOMES!

The view from your Ivory Tower must be magnificent.

The Historical Section has been Mis-Represented in your post.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
The minority report (total of ONE!!!!) is duly noted (reluctantly).

Obviously somebody with an axe to grind......... zero knowledge of the area.
Closed Thread

Tags
dec, 7-15, icon_wink, welcome.thanks, advance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.