MVP Sports Club

Closed Thread
Old 07-27-2019, 07:10 PM
Default MVP Sports Club

Is MVP Sports Club, either Brownwood or Spanish Springs, a good alternative to the Village recreation facilities? I have heard that the Village facilities are so crowded that they are not available. Is MVP better? Do you enjoy using the facilities and the classes? How much does it cost?
My husband and I are planning to buy in the Villages in a month or so.
Thank you for sharing your experiences.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:24 PM
Veteran member

Some times of day Brownwood is crowded but most of the time it isn't bad. Some courses are popular but you should be able to find one you can easily get into. Our health insurance pays for our membership now but before it did it was around $110/month for my wife and me. There are other gyms just outside of The Villages that are less expensive. But MVP though is really very nice.

We've gone to various free exercise classes around the Villages. During the high season, some courses get full and people are turned away. The rest of the year usually most can take everyone who goes to a session.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
Some times of day Brownwood is crowded but most of the time it isn't bad. Some courses are popular but you should be able to find one you can easily get into. Our health insurance pays for our membership now but before it did it was around $110/month for my wife and me. There are other gyms just outside of The Villages that are less expensive. But MVP though is really very nice.

We've gone to various free exercise classes around the Villages. During the high season, some courses get full and people are turned away. The rest of the year usually most can take everyone who goes to a session.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
Are most people there really fit? Would a very out of shape person just starting out feel like a rhino in a herd of gazelles?
Old 07-27-2019, 08:24 PM
Default All sizes and shapes at MVP

Some are in very good shape and others (most) are like the rest of us. If you can get past your own body inhibitions you will easily fit in. Classes are structured to go at your own pace, so don't try to keep up with others that have been there awhile. Push yourself just enough to keep coming back. During high season and even during the summer at times the treadmills and other equipment get crowded. Visit a couple of times to find your best time.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharonenright View Post
...Would a very out of shape person just starting out feel like a rhino in a herd of gazelles?
Simple answer. No.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:58 AM

Thank you for your kind responses.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharonenright View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience.
Are most people there really fit? Would a very out of shape person just starting out feel like a rhino in a herd of gazelles?
No, not out of place, But if you have never worked out, I would use a private instructor couple of times, to introduce you to machines and a workout plan.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:13 AM

Last time I checked, Social Security Silver Sneakers was accepted at MVP.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:03 AM
Sage

With a "corporate membership" through one of the clubs, the cost for a couple is around $80 per month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post

Old 07-28-2019, 07:04 AM
Sage

I don't think so. I believe it is accepted at Anytime Fitness. If you belong to UHC Medicare Advantage, you can go to MVP for no additional cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeriteri View Post

Last edited by biker1; 07-28-2019 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:06 AM
Sage

When you join, they will give you one "training session" for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
No, not out of place, But if you have never worked out, I would use a private instructor couple of times, to introduce you to machines and a workout plan.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:34 AM
Gold member

I do go to MVP for spin classes because it's free with my health insurance. However the Regional Rec centers have fitness rooms with machines, etc...there are also several outdoor fitness machines at various locations thru out The Villages.
There are hundreds of various types of exercise classes at all rec centers and all sports pools. Yes may be a little crowded in winter but not impossible to take part. Also walking trails and the cart paths are for walking, running, whatever.
So yes, MVP is nice and I'm happy I can go there but most of the time I'd rather exercise outside or try many different classes at the rec centers. Since you'll be here soon New's a great time to try out all the classes before you pay for MVP. I know some people use it all the tine, others like me only go for spin class because you can only do so much in 24 hours!
And definitely every body does any activity they want.
You need to get a rec guide at any rec center.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Not correct
Old 07-28-2019, 08:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Not correct
Unfortunately, CWGUY is correct.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:31 AM

The UHC Advantage plan switched from Silver Sneakers to Optum Fitness as a benefit and is accepted at MVP and most surrounding fitness clubs (but not TV rec fitness center). Silver Sneakers still exists with other insurances and is accepted at many area fitness centers but not MVP or TV rec centers.
Closed Thread

Tags
mvp, facilities, village, club, sports

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.