MVP Sports Club

Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2019, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I've been an MVP at Brownwood member since May 2014. The first couple of years we paid as a couple it was $102 a month and with tax it was $109 and was automatically paid with a credit card. In the third year I joined Straight Gun Club (Villages Club) and our membership dropped to $75 plus tax. Then my neighbor joined and gave them our name and it dropped to $70.

In January of last year 2018, about a year and a half ago, United Health which we belong and there is no premiums, created the Optum Group and the gym became free for both my wife and me. The regional rec centers do have a small workout gym, my neighbor belongs and he pays $375 a year. I went once and found the room was about the size that you would find at a condo or motel, ten people and it seemed crowded.

For 4 years we went Mon-Fri five days a week. Last year we stopped going on Tuesday and Thursday, it seemed to become almost like a job. Now just going M-W-F it's more enjoyable and you have a day in between for your muscles to rest.

The average age of a Villager is 70, you find all shapes and sizes at MVP. Some have been in shape all their lives and others are just now picking it up, like golf, starting something new with their new lifestyle.

Right now it is fairly comfortable with the amount of people and you can get a free 3 day pass at the front desk just for asking. My wife takes Zumba 3 days a week and her 10:15 class has had 70 people at one time in April. In the floor area January thru April it is very crowded and maybe you might have to wait 10 minutes for a treadmill, they'll have someone taking names and you'll find classes tight but you will get in. The workout benches in the free weight area use to have only 3 benches, now they have 5 or 6 depending on their use, so I usually can get a bench when I arrive at 10 am, sometimes I might wait five minutes. There use to be just two stationary bikes, now there four, since they started the United Health plan MVP has tried to keep up.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 07-28-2019, 11:14 AM
Sage

I go to MVP SS for personal training twice a week, I like the layout @ SS for training way better than Brownwood--the trainers a room set aside for training, which doesn't happen in Brownwood, also they have Nu Step machines which are not available in Brownwood

Most important the MVP staff @ all locations are trained for emergencies @ rec centers you are on your own, my wife was injured @ a rec center when she was not given any instruction on how to use a machine--she , goes to MVP Brownwood ,now
Old 07-28-2019, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,743 Posts

Great idea posting the photos, I couldn’t make out the brand of weight equipment Precor? Nautilus? Are there any hip abductors, can’t quite make it out from photo. Dumbbell weights in ladies weight sizes?
Old 07-28-2019, 11:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Great idea posting the photos, I couldn’t make out the brand of weight equipment Precor? Nautilus? Are there any hip abductors, can’t quite make it out from photo. Dumbbell weights in ladies weight sizes?
At Brownwood, they have some lighter weight bars, 25lb, besides 45lb bars. The smallest plates are 5lb. They a mix of machine brands but I don't think I have seen any of the brands you mentioned.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
When you join, they will give you one "training session" for free.
True, but it’s a here is what is available, not a evaluation of your strengths weaknesses, duration of peak calorie burn, health issues that may be impacted by workout. Even though we are in the gym 7 days a week, once a month we do a 4 hour personal trainer tweak.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:26 PM
Sage

For ladies there must be 5 lb and 8 lb and 10 lb and 15 lb dumbbells for exercises eg. shoulders... a lot of gyms are a bit short on these weights and they are not even expensive but I suspect that there would be less injuries if the correct weights are available especially to an older population.

There is a difference in how easy it is to work out on different brands of machines, some are a lumpy chore and others (high end) are smooth as silk.

Last edited by Velvet; 07-28-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:08 PM

Great information! Thank you.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Even though we are in the gym 7 days a week, once a month we do a 4 hour personal trainer tweak.
If I may ask, how much does the personal trainer cost?
Old 07-28-2019, 02:32 PM
Sage

I would say ask about their background.

Last edited by Velvet; 07-28-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:54 PM
Sage

Yes, that is why I put quotes on "training session". If you know what you are doing it is still worthwhile. I learned a few things. It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
True, but it’s a here is what is available, not a evaluation of your strengths weaknesses, duration of peak calorie burn, health issues that may be impacted by workout. Even though we are in the gym 7 days a week, once a month we do a 4 hour personal trainer tweak.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharonenright View Post
I can't put in a link because I had to login to see the info, so it wouldn't show up for you. Once you join you can have your own account page and get points for attending and for classes. I use to get about 500 points a year which was worth $50 off my monthly fee. Now that I don't pay, so I can use the points toward training, massages and merchandise. I find classes like "Group Power" are way better than any training I've seen. I watch trainers all morning, most of the people taking training are new and can't do much. I think taking classes would be more beneficial. Look into Mon-Wed-Friday Group Power at 10am, that's a good workout. I did for three years 3 days a week. There are a lot of classes with professional instructors all day long, get a schedule when you visit.

One-on-One Training
Live with passion, train with purpose.

Sessions 30 min 60 min

1 Session $40 $70
5 Sessions $180 $325
25 Sessions $810 $1,463
Old 07-28-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I can't put in a link because I had to login to see the info, so it wouldn't show up for you. Once you join you can have your own account page and get points for attending and for classes. I use to get about 500 points a year which was worth $50 off my monthly fee. Now that I don't pay, so I can use the points toward training, massages and merchandise. I find classes like "Group Power" are way better than any training I've seen. I watch trainers all morning, most of the people taking training are new and can't do much. I think taking classes would be more beneficial. Look into Mon-Wed-Friday Group Power at 10am, that's a good workout. I did for three years 3 days a week. There are a lot of classes with professional instructors all day long, get a schedule when you visit.

One-on-One Training
Live with passion, train with purpose.

Sessions 30 min 60 min

1 Session $40 $70
5 Sessions $180 $325
25 Sessions $810 $1,463
Great information. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Great information. Thank you!
Also if you are a member you can join plus one. For $40 a month you can get one massage a month if you like massages.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I would say ask about their background.
Lifetime personal trainers have been with company for close to 18 years, all have degrees in health and fitness. I get point that takes $$ off my sessions. My yogi charges $10 for two hour group session, or 30 for personal. Since they are company employees they still are paid their salaries. My personal guy charges $20 an hour and works out with me, he doesn’t get to stand around. Because of him I have stopped using an elliptical, just not tracking as well as I should
Old 07-28-2019, 08:07 PM
Default Fitness Centers at Recreation Center

There are 6 fitness centers in TV. A lot of people want to go to them because they are close to their house. A great deal of members are there 4 to 7 days a week. Most stay for 30 minutes. The fees are (single) $47.50/ month; $127.50 for 3 months; $214.00 for 6 months and $ 3??.00 (don't recall) for a year. There are memberships for a couple also. I like going there for the exercise and the social aspect, if you go the same time each day, you see the same people. The staff will help with instructions, no personal trainers.
Closed Thread

Tags
mvp, facilities, village, club, sports

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.