To my golfing friends....warning!

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2020, 06:54 AM

The posters here are correct, people don’t understand that 6 feet does not mean 2 feet. However for the anti golf people, I was in one of the colony supermarkets last week and it was mayhem, I determined that while standing there in a line of 30 people waiting to check out my odds of getting the virus there was 10X what it would ever be on a golf course.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

I love golf play 5 times a week min..For now it's not worth the risk....
Guilty still play with 1 group 1 day a week how ever we all practice same health skills at home feel safe playing .
Old 04-05-2020, 07:08 AM

The reason is to stop the spread of the disease so people don't DIE!
Old 04-05-2020, 07:11 AM
Default Golf is seldom played in still air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismatta View Post
The latest study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine clearly demonstrates airborne virus for over an hour. I love golf, and want to live to play another day. Here is a clip from the study abstract. We can benefit from what these medical researchers have learned, and stay home, or we can wait for the result of our study called ‘Let’s play golf as usual in the villages and see what happens’

“ SARS-CoV-2 remained viable in aerosols throughout the duration of our experiment (3 hours), with a reduction in infectious titer from 103.5 to 102.7 TCID50 per liter of air. This reduction was similar to that observed with SARS-CoV-1, from 104.3 to 103.5 TCID50 per milliliter (Figure 1A).”

When I play golf in The Villages there is seldom an absence of wind. On the contrary, the wind is usually 15 to 25 miles an hour in my face.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARFAP View Post
The six feet is to be safe from someone sneezing or coughing. The virus is passed in droplet form. Someone who spits when they talk can also pass it. Mind the six feet, but it's not liked the virus is floating in the air and you'll automatically get it by being less than 6 feet from someone.
No, but you odds increase the closer you get. IMO it should be 10 feet. Microscopic water droplets fly pretty far.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:25 AM

Your are so correct about line item (b. The grocery stores and big box stores are 100 times more dangerous than any golf course.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
The six feet is to be safe from someone sneezing or coughing. The virus is passed in droplet form. Someone who spits when they talk can also pass it. Mind the six feet, but it's not liked the virus is floating in the air and you'll automatically get it by being less than 6 feet from someone.
Not necessarily true. Some as yet unpublished research has been done of air inside hospital room of patient with Covid and the air outside door of patient’s room. Possibly short lived but traces of Covid have been found. Sooo, how long does the virus float in the air? 60 seconds, 2 minutes?
Old 04-05-2020, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I believe you are referring to a post I made a couple of days ago answering the question of why would anyone take photos of people who are not adhering to social distancing. I said in my post that I have NEVER taken a photo of people who congregate together. I answered the question as I see it. It is a very easy question to answer. Why else would people take photos of people doing stupid things? Of course......to shame them. It is not lame at all. Duh!
Taking someone’s pic without their approval may get someone in their face real quick.

I worked UC for my last 5 years as a LEO and to this day I do not like my pic taken by anyone other than my wife, so things could get a little testy if I see someone snapping my pic.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:54 AM

Great Point ..... if the low IQ People want the courses closed then congregating should do it. What are they thinking?
Old 04-05-2020, 07:54 AM
Default Food for thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I believe you are referring to a post I made a couple of days ago answering the question of why would anyone take photos of people who are not adhering to social distancing. I said in my post that I have NEVER taken a photo of people who congregate together. I answered the question as I see it. It is a very easy question to answer. Why else would people take photos of people doing stupid things? Of course......to shame them. It is not lame at all. Duh!

Sorry but I disagree. here's why, most, if not all, amateurs do not understand "prospective". Here is a FACT. I saw a picture of me and others in my group standing on a course at the end or our game. First and foremost WE DO, AND WERE practice "social distancing" we were, at minimum, 6 feet apart. In the picture it appeared that some in the group were nearly touching each other. That individual is not knowledgeable enough to realize that we were in a circle and a circle has prospective. The further from the subject the photographer is, makes a world of difference, especially when the person on the far side of the circle is nearly 25 feet away. In the picture it appears we were only a few inches apart. People without knowledge need to quit being judge and jury. Are there some out there not practicing "Social Distancing? "YES to answer the question. . . . . . . Absolutely, however this back biting needs to stop, "judgement without knowledge is ignorance". For our nation, and our way of life I will continue to
Old 04-05-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Agree!

I played TDS today and the guy (6 feet) ahead of me on line had to have social distancing explained to him---twice!! (DOH). The staffer also mentioned that the people living in the homes on the course are busy taking pictures of golfers whom are too close, at least in their estimation.

This is not rocket science. Golf management has set it up so you can pay for your round and sign in without touching anything or getting inside 6 feet. Play you round as usual, just take 4 carts and stay 6 feet away from each other. You're playing on a 150+ acre field, surely 4 people can stay 6 feet away from each other.

As far as the Cecil B. Demills go, there are probably 3 types:
a) people who are so paranoid that they think if 2 golfers get 5' 11 1/2" from each other they are both going to get the virus, and then spread it to them in the grocery store, and then they are going to die. I'll refrain from calling them names because they are simply paralyzed with fear----they won't admit it, instead they post how they are saving lives
b) people who have been closed out of their favorite activity so they want others to lose theirs. Them I'll call idiots and worse
c) the usual small core of Villagers that are always miserable and complaining, so this just gives them something new to gripe about

Is this right, no, but it is the reality. You can be sure these Ansel Adams wannabees will be busy sending in their pictures to the powers that be in an effort to get golf closed down. Sad, because 99% of the golfers are following the rules, but drive through neighborhoods and past park and there are tons of non-golfers congregating. Maybe they should point their cameras in that direction. The only person who I asked WHY they take pictures stated it was to "shame" these people. Pretty lame, does she really think that people who are congregating in defiance of an executive order from the governor of Florida would be all broken up by her "shaming" of them. Get real.

So bottom line, golfers, just follow instructions signing in and stay 6 feet away from each other. PLEASE!
So who is taking the pictures, George Orwell. These people need to get over themselves
Old 04-05-2020, 08:15 AM

No offense but all this complaining about golf yet the churches are open.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:28 AM

Most people don’t have the spatial awareness to keep 6 feet apart. They need tape measures and marks on the sidewalk.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:46 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Actually, they now say that is exactly what can happen! That’s why there is new advice to wear masks whenever not at home, to keep those carrying the virus but who are not yet showing symptoms (could be anyone) from expelling the virus into the air. They discovered this when a choir group came together, in a safe manner they thought, but most of them ended up with the virus. Researchers now believe they exchanged it just by talking and singing. Washington coronavirus: 2 dead, 45 ill after March choir rehearsal - CNN
Old 04-05-2020, 09:49 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by danglanzsr View Post
When I play golf in The Villages there is seldom an absence of wind. On the contrary, the wind is usually 15 to 25 miles an hour in my face.
All that means is the virus may blow into your face from someone up wind.
Closed Thread

Tags
feet, courses, golf, carts, social

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.