To my golfing friends....warning!

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2020, 09:51 AM

The grocery stores are more risky than the golf courses. Golfers just need to keep their distance. Unless they live together, they should be in separate carts IMHO. :-)
Old 04-05-2020, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefforyj View Post
...I saw a picture of me and others in my group standing on a course at the end or our game. First and foremost WE DO, AND WERE practice "social distancing" we were, at minimum, 6 feet apart. In the picture it appeared that some in the group were nearly touching each other...
The Villages Florida
Old 04-05-2020, 10:10 AM
Veteran member

I prefer playing solo anyway. If I start getting too much "news", I may start playing with a mask on.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:36 AM

i believe they should closed the golf them
people don't have respect for others a
Old 04-05-2020, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
All that means is the virus may blow into your face from someone up wind.
So then the same concept would apply to cyclists, walkers, fisherman, hunters and most certainly the grocery store.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiban20 View Post
i believe they should closed the golf them
people don't have respect for others a
Fortunately, the authorities that make the rules couldn't care less about what YOU believe, and neither do most golfers
Old 04-05-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARFAP View Post
The six feet is to be safe from someone sneezing or coughing. The virus is passed in droplet form. Someone who spits when they talk can also pass it. Mind the six feet, but it's not liked the virus is floating in the air and you'll automatically get it by being less than 6 feet from someone.
You need to follow the news better before making comments like that. It has been clearly stated that it is also possible for Airborne Transmission, thus the strong suggestion for everyone to where masks. The Masks do not really protect you, but they keep anyone infected (many do not have symptoms) from spreading the Virus through the air. It is people that take your viewpoint that will continue to spread the Virus, by not following the rules.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:54 AM

Exactly. I golf but won’t die because I can’t or can if I practice social distancing. I worry far less about golf than I do to get groceries. I avoid the store like the plague (no humor intended.) Tell me how if the aisle in a grocery store is 6 feet, at best, how can go get groceries and be safe. People have no respect for social distancing. They will walk right next you without a care in the world. I have seen couples shopping standing right next to each other and will not file in behind each other so somebody else can go down the aisle. What if they shut the grocery stores down? I think that is probably safer than closing the golf courses.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:00 PM
Sage

And it probably is.

Please don't get the wrong idea from many of my posts. This pandemic IS serious and everybody should be extremely careful. Everybody should follow the law and engage only in permitted activities, and everyone is free to exceed the restrictions. I have defended golf because it is a low risk activity, in fact lower risk than many other things Villagers are doing every day. There is NOTHING anyone can do to make their risk zero. My objections are against those that want to dictate their choice of exceeding the restrictions to everyone else, and those that call anyone not doing what they are doing idiots, selfish, and entitled.

People are dying and that sucks. People are mortal and that sort of sucks as well. However, this is not the end of civilization as we know it (although it is rapidly becoming the end of civility---and I'm as guilty as the next person, sorry.)

But here are some numbers to ponder:

Since the first case appeared in China on November 17th, 140 days have passed and 66,560 people have died. Deaths from all other causes, worldwide, average 153,400 PER DAY or 21,476,000 since Nov 17. This is not wiping out the human race. Cases are increasing in some parts of the world and decreasing in other. It will end, sooner or later.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:30 PM

Forgive me, I am not a Villager yet and I don’t play golf and don’t know how to say this gently and get your attention at the same time. I am a competitive tennis player and can empathize how the golfers feel about continuing to play their sport. For the ones who continue to gather and play, you are taking a very big risk by doing so! For any of the golfers who are reading this and continue to play, do any of you have diabetes, hypertension, asthma, overweight, COPD, drink more than they should? If so, and you come in contact with the CoronaVirus and become symptomatic, the odds are against you!!! Even worse, if you are infected and asymptomatic, you are spreading the virus where ever you go, especially your home and whoever lives there!!!

STAY HOME TODAY TO BE HEALTHY TO PLAY GOLF WHEN THIS IS OVER!!!

CLOSE ALL GOLF COURSES ASAP!!!

Last edited by Sabrina&Bill; 04-05-2020 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Gramer
Old 04-05-2020, 12:36 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiganne View Post
Exactly. I golf but won’t die because I can’t or can if I practice social distancing. I worry far less about golf than I do to get groceries. I avoid the store like the plague (no humor intended.) Tell me how if the aisle in a grocery store is 6 feet, at best, how can go get groceries and be safe. People have no respect for social distancing. They will walk right next you without a care in the world. I have seen couples shopping standing right next to each other and will not file in behind each other so somebody else can go down the aisle. What if they shut the grocery stores down? I think that is probably safer than closing the golf courses.
So how long to boil a golf ball so it is ready to eat?
Old 04-05-2020, 12:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
Depends on how much salt you put in the water
Old 04-05-2020, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
About 5 mins less than a Pickle Ball
5 mins more than a Tennis ball
Old 04-05-2020, 01:34 PM

Sad to say if history tells us anything it is this: The last major smallpox epidemic in the United States occurred in Boston, Massachusetts throughout a three-year period, between 1901-1903. During this three-year period, 1596 cases of the disease occurred throughout the city. Of those cases, nearly 300 people died. We will not have anything to fight this virus for some time. Please stay away from others. You have no idea who is positive even if you know them. It is now thought (I thought all along) this is also an airborne virus. The positive people only have to talk to you and they spew the virus back out into the air. The virus doesn't know anything about six feet. MIT has measured a sneeze going 27 feet and lingering in the air for several hours.
Please stay safe and alive.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:30 PM
Cool The other was probably a "lawyer" :)

I've seen couples, not married, riding in the same cart.

They don't live together and one was an MD prior to retirement.

{The other was probably a "lawyer" }
Closed Thread

Tags
feet, courses, golf, carts, social

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.