Meeting People

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2007, 09:11 AM
mcelheny
Default Meeting People

I am a 56 year old married woman snowbird. I live in Ashland from Nov. to May. Here's the problem, my husband is working for another 2 years so I am here by myself. I have met many nice people but they are either married so I make the 3rd wheel or single. I would love to go to the single events but I am not really single and don't want to mislead anybody. If there are others out there like me, maybe you can tell me the best places to meet people like me.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: Meeting People

mcelheny:
almost in the same boat also in Ashland. Worst part of TV is going out alone. Hey we'd love you to dine with us when we are down. second house from pool, maybe 3rd wheel but no flat tire ??? ???
Old 09-29-2007, 01:15 PM
mcelheny

Thanks, I look forward to meeting you.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcelheny
I am a 56 year old married woman snowbird. I live in Ashland from Nov. to May. Here's the problem, my husband is working for another 2 years so I am here by myself. I have met many nice people but they are either married so I make the 3rd wheel or single. I would love to go to the single events but I am not really single and don't want to mislead anybody. If there are others out there like me, maybe you can tell me the best places to meet people like me.
TOTV is the place to meet people!! I've even met my next door neighbour through TOTV, yay! ;D

I'm also a married retired snowbird .. I will be in TV October until April. My husband is working for another two years and will be flying back and forth. So we can hang out if you want, but unfortunately I don't golf! Please feel free to send me a private message. I don't have a telephone yet in TV, but will soon.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcelheny
Sounds familiar, I will be in a similar situation myself. I to will be alone 20 days each month while my husband is working. We chose TV because of the activities available while I am "single." Going to a movie or dinner is always awkward alone. Let's get together for a movie or dinner, or whatever. Maybe we can get a group together of gals who are single but not!!!!I will be in Piedmont after the 14th of November.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:24 PM

Meeting people in TV is very interesting. Such a variety of people having one thing in common, they have just moved from everything familiar to everything strange.

We have made some interesting observations in our 4 years here. We did not know anybody when we moved down here. Most people are not used to making new friends, they have been so consumed with their jobs in the past that that is pretty much all they knew. Now they are in a new place alone.....sure there are all the activities which are great. Thats the best place to make new friends but many times its just the activity and then see you next week. We have met some wonderful people and enjoyed their company so much but "real friends" take time to develop.

Many situations are considered to be "clicky" because people tend to hang out with people they already know and they are not thinking about making new friends. It's human nature I guess.

Many of the Villages have neighborhood activities to keep everyone involved which is great. You can certainly keep busy. No one wants to be alone . But you have to find the right people, with similar interests and willing to be open to a new friendship. It takes time.

The whole retirement issue is truely life changing and it takes awhile to adjust to it. For many years our identity was our job. Now we have a clean slate..... which is wonderful to think about doing anything that you always wanted to do.. the Villages sure offers lots of opportunities to start fresh.

Have fun and try everything --thats what I do!

Old 09-29-2007, 06:23 PM

I will be down to The Villages on 10/22. I am single but I am looking forward to making friends - married or single - for movies, dinner, chatting, etc. I will be living in Hadley Village and I am looking forward to meeting all of you. As with Barefoot, sorry, no golf.
Pat
Old 09-29-2007, 07:19 PM

Great posts. While everyone is so very friendly I also wonder if my husband and I or even myself will ever have real close friends here in TV. Although my husband does visit, I have been basically here alone for several months. I have gotten use to doing things by myself. It has been okay since places I go (Fitness Center,
occasional classes at rec centers) people have been friendly, but it would be nice to go out with a group of "girls" to laugh and have fun.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Gold member

Sounds like there are a bunch of us gals that need to get connected, talk and laugh. Let's keep in touch and make it happen once we are all villagers and settled in our new digs.
Cheers, beady

Old 09-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNPA
People have been friendly, but it would be nice to go out with a group of "girls" to laugh and have fun.
OK, MSNPA, you've found us now .. GIRLS TO GIGGLE WITH .... I'm all for laughing and having fun. :bigthumbsup: So far it is Beady, who sent me a private post, (Thanks Leslie), and mcelheny ;D Not sure how we'll all link up! I don't move down until Oct. 24 and I don't even have a telephone yet, and who knows when I'll figure out how to hook up my computer. But TOTV is wonderful, we can always connect here on this site; and I think I can use the Library in Belvedere to access e-mail until I hook up.

:hot:
Old 09-29-2007, 07:47 PM

I am also a married and living here while my husband is working up North part of the year. I have found new circles of friends by participating in the many activities like water aerobics classes. I do work a few days a week but I still have plenty of time for movies and lunch out with my new found friends. I'll be happy to participate in any sort of get together planned.

Sea..
Old 09-30-2007, 09:04 AM
mcelheny

I am so glad I made the post. I am really looking forward to meeting everybody!
Sincerely,
Marti
Old 09-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Veteran member

I could be a "born again" Walmart Greeter, I can strike up a conversation with a light pole. ;D . I asked this question once "how does one meet your neighbors"? Answer was "lots of ways". Participate in everything you can that you enjoy such as your local village group meetings. sports, pot luck suppers, go for a walk and say hello to your neighbors and tell them how much you admire their yard. Strike up a conversation at the Square during the music. The one I found most successful was your neighborhood pool. Its the greatest laid back relaxing place to chat and get all the inside information about your local neighborhood.
Above all SMILE and get out there and have fun.
Handie :joke:
Old 09-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Gold member

Thanks Handie, good advise.
I will surely recognise you when I see someone talking to a lamp post : : :
Old 09-30-2007, 05:01 PM

most neighborhoods have monthly women's luncheons which are great for meeting neighbors you might not run across at the many single interest clubs in the villages.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.