My mothers home is also in my name

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2022, 05:15 PM
Boomer Boomer is offline
Soaring Parsley
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,704
Thanks: 45
Thanked 1,488 Times in 480 Posts

Just for the record, the OP never said a lawyer or accountant would not be contacted. This is just one of those questions some like to ask as a starting point. There is nothing wrong with that. It does not mean the person asking is stupid or cheap or naive. Just floating a question out there. Geez.

I am about ready to get out the Grey Goose or the Woodford Reserve and start doing a shot every time a poster’s only contribution to this thread is to tell the OP to get a lawyer.

But I don’t really drink much so I better not do that. Who knows what I could end up posting before the thread ends.

Old 01-13-2022, 06:48 PM
Haggar Haggar is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 19 Times in 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Yvonnebang View Post
Joseppe, can you elaborate on your point about how it "depends on a number of factors"? If it was a gift (the house deed name changed to your child's) While you were alive, then it would be capital gain exempt when the child decides to sell, right?
When a gift is received such as stock or a house the beneficiary retains the basis the donor has - no step in basis.
Quit claim is gift so no step up in basis. Upon death the beneficiary would have gotten a step up for the portion the deceased had.

How the property is titled is critical both for taxes and estate. A mother and son own a house - Jane Doe and John Doe. The son passes away. The son's share of the house does not automatically go the mother because it was not titled "Joint Tenants Right of Survivorship". Since the son had no children his half of the house went to his mother and his father who was divorced by the son's mother. Now the mother owns 75% of the house and the divorced father owns 25%. The father was a good guy and gave up his 1/4 to the mother. Could be a lot worse because the title lawyer screwed up. Father could have retained 25% of the house the mother lived in - and would have received 25% of the proceeds when the house is sold.

Different tax results owning a house together instead in JTROS.

Check the title of all property now to make sure it is correctly titled. Both the property you own and your relatives!
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. John Adams
Closed Thread

house, advice, home, mothers, gift

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 PM.