My Rant (and then I'll feel better)

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2014, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
I, too, have bristled over this and also people not making choice before getting to order taker at Panera, etc. I try to take a deep breath and tell myself I'm retired now and a few extra minutes are not going to matter to me.
I frequently cannot read the menu board at some places (like Panera and Starbucks) from where I am a few people back in line. I either have to get a takeout menu or stand aside in a spot closer up to decide what I want. This is my own problem, not anyone else's, but it may explain why some people don't know what they want when they get up to the head of the line.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:29 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
It's called lack of situational awareness--many people are just oblivious to what's going on around them. Same thing applies when there's a checkout line and the person waits till the total is rung up to get out their checkbook and start writing.

So many of us are too self-absorbed, as well.

I think the cashiers should be trained in a polite way to fend off the grandma showing pictures, etc., and keep the checkout line moving.

Situational awareness!!!! My new favorite term...LOL I get irked at people in the grocery store who leave the cart on one side of the aisle (or in the middle) while they stand between it and the other side looking at products and don't seem to have a clue you are there. Noticed a couple of ladies in Publix the other day standing, one on each side of the aisle, talking. They were still there after I had pretty much completed my shopping and every person who went down that aisle had to say "excuse me" and manuever between them. Is there some reason they couldn't stand on the same side???

Thanks to the OP.....venting does feel good! I actually have a little mental pep talk before going into Publix this time of year....take a deep breath, smile (not often returned, btw) and just be patient. Now I will add....remember these people are afflicted with lack of "situational awareness". They can't help themselves.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:31 PM
Veteran member

I have a reverse problem and don't know how to handle tactfully. As a customer, I respond to a cashier's question of how are you doing, with well and how are you? Then for what seems like eternity, I get their long, drawn out background. I see the line forming behind me and truly don't know what to do. I don't want to be rude and find I simply stand there and smile moving my head up and down. It would appear to the people at the end of the line I'm chatting, when if fact, I'm having to listen.

My husband says I'm like a magnet and attract this type of response. After many years I'm trying to change my response to how are you, to well and thank you for asking. It isn't easy, but seeing this thread, I need to work on this a bit.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:36 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXNana View Post
I have a reverse problem and don't know how to handle tactfully. As a customer, I respond to a cashier's question of how are you doing, with well and how are you? Then for what seems like eternity, I get their long, drawn out background. I see the line forming behind me and truly don't know what to do. I don't want to be rude and find I simply stand there and smile moving my head up and down. It would appear to the people at the end of the line I'm chatting, when if fact, I'm having to listen.

My husband says I'm like a magnet and attract this type of response. After many years I'm trying to change my response to how are you, to well and thank you for asking. It isn't easy, but seeing this thread, I need to work on this a bit.
There's one at Publix and one at Fresh Market whose lines I will avoid, if at all possible, for that very reason.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by casita37 View Post
There's one at Publix and one at Fresh Market whose lines I will avoid, if at all possible, for that very reason.
We made the mistake one time of saying what we couldn't find, when asked by the cashier if we found everything we wanted. There were several people behind us, and he stopped everything to call someone over to go find the item.

We only wanted to know for the next time we came in and were quite embarrassed at holding up the line. Duh! If I really need what I can't find, I should go ask an employee before getting in the checkout line.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Yawn
Old 02-26-2014, 12:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
It's called lack of situational awareness--many people are just oblivious to what's going on around them. Same thing applies when there's a checkout line and the person waits till the total is rung up to get out their checkbook and start writing….
Thank you for mentioning that. One of my pet peeves at the grocery store. Please have your check ready, or your credit card ready to scan!
Old 02-26-2014, 12:50 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
Thank you for mentioning that. One of my pet peeves at the grocery store. Please have your check ready, or your credit card ready to scan!
Yep...I have to remind my own husband to go ahead and get his wallet out.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:54 PM

This is one of the great things about TOTV, it lets you know you are not alone. All the things listed here that bug the posters are things I have ranted about at one time or another. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone
Old 02-26-2014, 03:08 PM

That's another pet peeve - people still using checkbooks! Sometimes it takes for ever to write out the checks and the cashier needs to validate, on and on. Why would anyone still write out checks, especially at the grocery store? The only time I write out a checks is because I'm giving it as a gift.

Visited The Villages in Oct., '09
Working on making it permanent.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In awe of TV View Post
That's another pet peeve - people still using checkbooks! Sometimes it takes for ever to write out the checks and the cashier needs to validate, on and on. Why would anyone still write out checks, especially at the grocery store? The only time I write out a checks is because I'm giving it as a gift.
Of Course the ( Check Writer ) when the whole transaction is finished everything has to be neatly put back into place Neatly Tucked into it's proper area, a little pat on the purse, smile to the clerk, ignore the frustrated people waiting while this whole dog and pony show is going on, and prances off like the she/he is the only person around.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:42 PM
Sage

Regarding:

Quote:
As a customer, I respond to a cashier's question of how are you doing, with well and how are you? Then for what seems like eternity, I get their long, drawn out background. I see the line forming behind me and truly don't know what to do. I don't want to be rude and find I simply stand there and smile moving my head up and down. It would appear to the people at the end of the line I'm chatting, when if fact, I'm having to listen.
I'm wary of that too (having the cashier tell their life story when they really need a husband that will show up, act like a man, and support his children and household). I listen but try to break in to say, looking at the line behind me, "I hear you (with sympathetic voice)....but I don't want to hold up the other customers behind me who need to get going".

Another problem in these scenarios is when managers are standing right there, talking to bag boys or whomever, but they will NOT use their keys and hands and open a register to clear up the lines. It looks like collecting money from customers is a very low priority or beneath their level of managerial status.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:47 PM

For each and everyone who has responded to the original -- what's the hurry? What's so important that we can't wait an extra few minutes either in line in a store, on a cart path, at an intersection or on the road.

Enjoy your retirement, vacation or whatever...relax. Getting aggravated over something like this is not good for your mental or physical health.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:05 PM
Gold member

I agree it can be really aggravating, especially if you are already having a bad day. I remember the days that I had to get back to work, had to get home to let the baby sitter leave, had an appointment or needed to get my kids from school. Today, I try to make it to the square before happy hour ends. Chill...grab a magazine from the rack and check out what the Kardashians are doing (ugh!) or who has the worst body on the beach...try striking up a conversation with the person next to you..I have had great times chatting and didn't notice the time passing. Most of all...RELAX!!! It isn't worth getting your blood pressure up!!!
Old 02-26-2014, 04:23 PM

I guess I am just one of those southern people (no I'm not the one holding up the lines) but it doesn't bother me to wait...I just read all the titles on the trash magazines in the rack. I was at Walmart one day and when I got to the cashier she was so apologetic about the lady in front of me taking up so much time...I simply said, oh no problem, I'm not in any hurry...her response...well, you must not live in The Villages. ( Made me laugh)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.