My Rant (and then I'll feel better)

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2014, 10:43 AM
Platinum member
Default My Rant (and then I'll feel better)

OK, I have to mention this pet peeve in hopes that some offenders will read it and maybe be a little more considerate of others. Several times in the last few weeks I have been in a situation where I am in a line to check out (Target, Barnes and Noble, Arden's Jewelry, Lowes, and Citizens First Bank where there were a number of people waiting to do business but one customer was obliviously engaged in a conversation with the clerk or teller that was completely inconsequential to the business at hand. Examples are: telling the clerk about a problem with another business, telling the clerk about how hard they had looked for the item they were purchasing, telling the clerk about the books they had read lately, etc. They were telling some story while a number of us were waiting(some more patiently than me I'll admit) for service. This is not the worst thing that can happen to someone, but please, notice when you are inconveniencing others and move along. Thanks. I feel better now. Comments?

Last edited by Cedwards38; 02-26-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:48 AM
Veteran member

Amen.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:55 AM
Sage

Amen.

If people need more social contact, which many do, TV is perfectly designed for socialization and conversation at 3 town squares and dozens of beautiful recreation centers where a person can go and chat all day long, with different people every day of the week.

Of course a cashier has to be friendly and courteous, but they should be doing their job, first, for all customers in line, not just the needier one.

A grocery store, bank or post office line is a place of business, not a social hall.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:22 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,300 Times in 536 Posts

OP, I hear you. There is a time and place for "long" conversations. Occasionaly I see something similar in restaurants---"long" conversations with the Server who needs to be getting our order and somebody's food.

This time of the year it's especially frustrating---but don't let it ruin your day. Patience is a virtue---good to remember.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:34 AM
Veteran member

Been there. Too much Jibber Jabber!
Old 02-26-2014, 11:42 AM
Platinum member

Part of it may be a southern cultural thing. The very first week I moved to Florida from New England, I was in a line at Walmart and several people in front of me, the lady checking out was busy showing the cashier (whom she didn't know) multiple pictures of her grandchildren. No one else seemed surprised or annoyed. I'm not saying it's "right", but I think it goes with the territory.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 02-26-2014, 11:42 AM

Did you talk with the manager of the store? Because if these clerks are talkative with one person and there are long lines, they will continue the behavior until someone steps in.

Just saying
Old 02-26-2014, 11:43 AM

Love this posting: How about this.

Waiting in line at Dunkin Donuts, Panera Bread et. etc. plenty of time to view what the choices are ...Then comes decision time when the clerk says the Magic Question, what would you like ?

And the reply is ummmm, aaaaa, ummmmmm aaaaaaa, oh gee, ummmmm, aaaaaaaaa, turns to the child and magically asks what would you like Johnny, Billy, Susie, etc. whatever, and there is more ummmmmmm, aaaaaaaa, gee I don't Know....Mommy, or Grandma, Of course most of the time without children and there is the same...ummmmmm, aaaaaaaaa, etc.

Please look at what is on offer, decide, make your choice before it is your turn and ORDER !
Old 02-26-2014, 11:44 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanOfWoodbury View Post
Did you talk with the manager of the store? Because if these clerks are talkative with one person and there are long lines, they will continue the behavior until someone steps in.

Just saying
I did not talk to the manager because I really believe the clerks were just being polite and the customer was the one initiating and sustaining the conversation.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

It's called lack of situational awareness--many people are just oblivious to what's going on around them. Same thing applies when there's a checkout line and the person waits till the total is rung up to get out their checkbook and start writing.

So many of us are too self-absorbed, as well.

I think the cashiers should be trained in a polite way to fend off the grandma showing pictures, etc., and keep the checkout line moving.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:58 AM
Platinum member

I, too, have bristled over this and also people not making choice before getting to order taker at Panera, etc. I try to take a deep breath and tell myself I'm retired now and a few extra minutes are not going to matter to me.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I was checking out at Radio Shack when two separate people came up, and asked a question which required a bit of time to answer. This took the cashier away from my transaction while I just stood there. My peeve, people who think it's ok to butt in because they are more important.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:15 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,300 Times in 536 Posts
Default Laid back culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
Part of it may be a southern cultural thing. The very first week I moved to Florida from New England, I was in a line at Walmart and several people in front of me, the lady checking out was busy showing the cashier (whom she didn't know) multiple pictures of her grandchildren. No one else seemed surprised or annoyed. I'm not saying it's "right", but I think it goes with the territory.
The region of the country you come from does make a difference. Coming from a small Midwest town not that far from Kentucky---life generally was pretty laid back. When we moved north to a big big city---"things" were different.

We might as well get over it---Florida is not New York, Jersey or Chicago. Thank God for that!!
Old 02-26-2014, 12:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrc4 View Post
Love this posting: How about this.

Waiting in line at Dunkin Donuts, Panera Bread et. etc. plenty of time to view what the choices are ...Then comes decision time when the clerk says the Magic Question, what would you like ?

And the reply is ummmm, aaaaa, ummmmmm aaaaaaa, oh gee, ummmmm, aaaaaaaaa, turns to the child and magically asks what would you like Johnny, Billy, Susie, etc. whatever, and there is more ummmmmmm, aaaaaaaa, gee I don't Know....Mommy, or Grandma, Of course most of the time without children and there is the same...ummmmmm, aaaaaaaaa, etc.

Please look at what is on offer, decide, make your choice before it is your turn and ORDER !
You hit the nail on the head. This is one of my pet peeves.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
It's called lack of situational awareness--many people are just oblivious to what's going on around them. Same thing applies when there's a checkout line and the person waits till the total is rung up to get out their checkbook and start writing.

So many of us are too self-absorbed, as well.

I think the cashiers should be trained in a polite way to fend off the grandma showing pictures, etc., and keep the checkout line moving.

What an astute observation. So correct, and quirky3's as well. We are a little more social here sometimes in certain situations than we should be.

But mostly, it is a nice kind of interaction. Sometimes it is a lapse, not thinking of others.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.