My wife and I are are looking at homes and the lanai questions are our concern

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2021, 06:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Whichever you choose, make sure the lanai faces east. Facing west or southwest and you’ll bake every afternoon.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:01 AM

Now that I have an enclosed lanai with a mini split, I’d never go back to a screened lanai. If I want the enjoyment of the outside air, all I have to do is open my sliding windows. Also, enclosing your lanai and adding a/c does NOT increase your taxes. People that are saying that in this thread obviously don’t have theirs enclosed and don’t know what they’re talking about.

You are welcome to come by to see ours if you like.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:05 AM
Default Linai

We have a linai and recently enclose with single pain glass bu custom windows. Did not need double pain (twice as much). CW even said 80% at present single pane. The reason for enclosure was we face southwest. During summer excessive. Got an AC unit as well. Best decision we made. Use it every day!!! We also have a birdcage if we want fresh air. As well as two sliders on linai. BIGGER a issue in my opinion I’d WIDTH of linai. 8 ft width is way to confining!!!!
Old 07-17-2021, 06:05 AM

We’ve had both…glass over acrylic but we love our open lanai we just had a cover installed on the top so you can sit out when it’s raining. Open and cover on lanai roof. The best.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:09 AM
Default Screened Lanai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingfromCT View Post
We are looking at preowned homes and we aren't sure if we would be OK with just a screened in lanai or if it needs to be enclosed. If it should be enclosed what should we be looking for? Some homes have nicely enclosed lanais but they are more expensive. Some say you need acrylic windows and some glass and .......... on and on.

Is there some good basic wisdom from you all?? I know everyone is different but is there any general consensus? I would think that due to the heat that we would need an enclosed lanai to be able to spend time out there most or all of the year. I know I sound like such a rookie but we really are perplexed. Thank you in advance!!
We like sitting in our screened lanai in the morning... Sun not as hot and we own one third of an acre that backs to a forest.... In the afternoons we like to sit in the front of our house where in the front of our house where the sun is not as bad. Ah as bad. Also did you know that if you add permanent enclosure it is considered another structure to your home You will have to pay for that added space on your taxes. It is considered a room addition to the square footage of your home so you will have to pay for that if you enclose it with glass or make it permanent
Old 07-17-2021, 06:13 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

I prefer enclosed. It's easy enough to go outside if you want to be outside, but an enclosed lanai or Florida room is usually the best place to be on a warm/hot afternoon for me.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:20 AM

When we bought our house we had just a screened lanai - every time it rained I was cleaning liquid mud from the floor - so we decided to enclose it with hard screen acrylic windows that slide open ...I then also connected it to the main house A/C with a shutoff screen installed. Now we have the best of all worlds ...an A/C extra room if we need it. a non A/C extra room with the acrylics closed and an open lanai with all the acrylics open !!!
Old 07-17-2021, 06:23 AM
Default Windows or Screen - That is the Question

Quote:
We are looking at preowned homes and we aren't sure if we would be OK with just a screened in lanai or if it needs to be enclosed. If it should be enclosed what should we be looking for? Some homes have nicely enclosed lanais but they are more expensive. Some say you need acrylic windows and some glass and .......... on and on.

Is there some good basic wisdom from you all?? I know everyone is different but is there any general consensus? I would think that due to the heat that we would need an enclosed lanai to be able to spend time out there most or all of the year. I know I sound like such a rookie but we really are perplexed. Thank you in advance!!
Let me tell you from my perspective. When my wife and I purchased a FSBO Colony patio villa the lanai was screened in. It also had carpeting on the lanai floor which had become discolored from the sunlight. After about a week, we had our first hard rain which promptly soaked the carpet. It was at that point we decided to not only install glass, but tile the floor as well. When they removed the carpet, the floor was covered with mold that had to be removed.. I don't remember the cost, but whatever it was, was well worth what we paid. At some point, you may want to sell your home, and an enclosed lanai will be an attractive feature in moving it.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:32 AM
Location: Wisconsin, California, military, California, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, (Ugh!) and, FINALLY, TV
Default Lanai

Quote:

We bought a home with a West facing lanai and an East facing front "porch." We added a full screen to the porch so that we can sit "where the sun is" when it's cooler in the mornings or when it's cooler outside, and in the shaded side when it's warmer. We love having that flexibility, which allows us to be "outside" more of the time. Both the porch and the lanai have ceiling fans.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:39 AM
Veteran member

Enclosed with opening sliding windows allows use in cooler days with widows closed open on warm breezy days , best of both worlds glass is better than vinyl sliding windows.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:

Well, welcome to TOTV. You have now received the entire spectrum of responses to your question, as usual. At least the topic is neutral so the responses were civil.

It seems to me a lot of the responses depended on what type of lanai the owner originally had. What size, orientation, size of house already, does it have a roof or is it a birdcage, etc. So, I guess you'll have to take those factors into account and make the best decision you can. Good luck and welcome!
Old 07-17-2021, 06:42 AM

Quote:

Great question. It really comes down to personal preference. We rented a home on the golf course that had a great view and so the open lanai was great. We purchased a designer home NOT on golf course but no houses directly behind our lanai. Our neighbors never use their outdoor lanai until Fall. After living in Florida for 50 plus years I can’t imagine sitting in the heat in June, July, August. It’s not dry heat! If you have a swimming pool that changes everything. Jump in cool down relax. During the late Fall and winter months the outdoor lanai can be very comfortable. Being in Florida gives you lots of great options. Just think of all the pools, golf courses, and, amenities here in TV. Our home has enclosed lanai with sliding windows and we love it. I’m sure you’ll pick what’s best for your family. Welcome to the Villages!
Old 07-17-2021, 06:48 AM
Smile

Five years ago, we purchased a Wisteria model with a north-facing 9'x17' screened lanai. The lanai was just a bit too narrow for us which factored heavily into our decision to ultimately bump out the lanai an additional 8'. This made it a very usable 17'x20' room. We enclosed our new Florida room with five double-paned, low-E sliders that added 25' of wrap-around windows. We had our contractor (DnJ Construction) raise the floor to match the house, took out the slider doors and added a 12000 BTU Mitsubishi split AC unit****. Later on, we installed double cell shades (white on the outside to reflect the heat) which gives the room absolute privacy at night and keeps the room much cooler during the day.

For us, the extension added an additional 340 SQFT to the house which upped our taxes $180/year. We spent $32K to add the room, and almost immediately our estimated resale value jumped ~$41K.

We spend much of out time in the Florida room, and we could not be happier with our decision. Of course, for you, the decision is personal on your likes and dislikes. For us, it was a no brainer ...... have a screened lanai that we used infrequently or a beautiful room that gets extensive use.

*** BTW, the new mini split unit was a god-send when our main AC unit died for 9 days last summer. Besides, the unit was able to keep much of the house cooler and with considerably lower humidity.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
I was born and raised in FL and have always been confused about why people in the villages enclose their screened lanai?
I understand that if you live in areas of Florida with more potential for hurricanes you won't enclose your lanai. I came from up north and there is nothing I enjoy more than sitting out on my lanai.What I hate most is getting eaten alive by bugs., That's why you put screens in, to keep out the creatures. I love the outdoors and would never think of enclosing my lanai with windows and walls. I want to be outdoors.That's why I moved to Florida . It is just my preference.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:55 AM

After a couple of years with a screened in lanai, I enclosed mine with glass sliders. Game changer! No more heat, water, dirt, pollen, lizards, etc. to deal with. Now, regardless of the weather, I sit in there in my comfortable chair and read, drink my coffee or cocktail and enjoy. Plus, it cuts down on the noise from nearby neighbors.
Closed Thread

Tags
enclosed, lanai, homes, perplexed, general

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.