Naively Surprised - now angry over cable in TV

Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2018, 05:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda West View Post
One of the Spectrum sales people said it absolutely is a non-compete and that the two companies agreed where the lines would be drawn. It is possible to live right next door to the competition and NOT be able to choose to have their service! Why doesn't this bother anybody else?
Maybe because after a life of work, this seems like a small issue now that we are living our earned retirement.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:21 AM
Sage

Not really true. Virtually all of The Villages has Comcast and all of The Villages south of 466a has Spectrum. That means a very large chunk of The Villages has access to both Comcast and Spectrum. In addition, virtually all of The Villages has access to CenturyLink, with a large chunk via fiber optic cable to the house. Where I live, there are 3 choices for Internet access and 5 choices for TV, plus TV streaming services and over-the-air antennas. In the northern parts of The Villages there is some limitation on choices but the southern half has lots of options.

Quote:
One of the Spectrum sales people said it absolutely is a non-compete and that the two companies agreed where the lines would be drawn. It is possible to live right next door to the competition and NOT be able to choose to have their service! Why doesn't this bother anybody else?

Last edited by biker1; 06-23-2018 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Have to talked with your Bonita neighbors about this? They may have already dealt with this and found a solution that isn't yet known to you. Good luck!
Old 06-23-2018, 02:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
You have plenty of choices, and they cost far less. You can install a roof antenna, aim it at the Orlando towers, and get TV for free! (What a great concept!)

Or, you can just get internet from Comcast for around 30 bucks. Then, you can subscribe to stream you choice of TV packages - YouTube TV, Direct TV Now, Hulu, Playstation Vue, Philo, Sling TV, etc. You can get all the "local" networks and anything else you want (including a cloud-based DVR recorder). WAY cheaper than any cable or satellite package that they offer. Stream what you want and change services every month if you wish. No contract; no equipment fees no "cable guy" showing up at your house. Cable is DEAD.
Dear Upnorth, YOUR HIRED

Let's talk bottom line. If you want network channels, HiStory, Golf, HGTV, PBS and Discovery, can you cut the cable???? AND save money every month.?????
Old 06-23-2018, 03:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Spectrum use to be Bright House and then 2 or 3 years ago they were bought by Charter and changed the name to Spectrum. They had a salesman on TOTV all the time about two years ago. It was pretty well known back then, if you didn't live below 466A, don't call them. Comcast and Century Link are just about everywhere.

Personally I've had Directv since 2008, three years in Maryland and seven years here. I've never had a technician come to my house to make a repair. The only time I had a tech come by was three years ago when I switched from a regular HD box to a HD DVR box. It can store 1000 hours of HD programming. I believe Directv is better than sliced bread, if you don't have Directv, then you're missing TV.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:42 PM
Sage

The YouTubeTV streaming service has DVR in the cloud. I suspect the other streaming services also have cloud-based streaming services. If you look at what programming you actually watch, you may be able to ditch cable/satellite services for a streaming service at lower cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Spectrum use to be Bright House and then 2 or 3 years ago they were bought by Charter and changed the name to Spectrum. They had a salesman on TOTV all the time about two years ago. It was pretty well known back then, if you didn't live below 466A, don't call them. Comcast and Century Link are just about everywhere.

Personally I've had Directv since 2008, three years in Maryland and seven years here. I've never had a technician come to my house to make a repair. The only time I had a tech come by was three years ago when I switched from a regular HD box to a HD DVR box. It can store 1000 hours of HD programming. I believe Directv is better than sliced bread, if you don't have Directv, then you're missing TV.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
The YouTubeTV streaming service has DVR in the cloud. I suspect the other streaming services also have cloud-based streaming services. If you look at what programming you actually watch, you may be able to ditch cable/satellite services for a streaming service at lower cost.
The biggest problem is nobody else has NFL Sunday Ticket. Red Zone is nice to watch if you're team is on a bye week or playing at night, but otherwise I want every game and not on my computer. I've got a 75" 4K Samsung, so I want the best. I'm a huge football fan. Interesting, I played golf yesterday at Palmer and a fellow joined us who was 77 years old. He has coached high school football for 58 years and he's a paid assistant at TV High School. Now that hockey season has ended and my Orioles suck, I'm ready for football season.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:08 PM
Sage

I hardly watch football so it is really not an issue. I prefer to go out and play sports myself instead of watching others. To each his own.

Quote:
The biggest problem is nobody else has NFL Sunday Ticket. Red Zone is nice to watch if you're team is on a bye week or playing at night, but otherwise I want every game and not on my computer. I've got a 75" 4K Samsung, so I want the best. I'm a huge football fan. Interesting, I played golf yesterday at Palmer and a fellow joined us who was 77 years old. He has coached high school football for 58 years and he's a paid assistant at TV High School. Now that hockey season has ended and my Orioles suck, I'm ready for football season.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:10 PM
Sage

This THurs.my Prism crapped out--was told they could not get a tech to me till June 30, my contract with Prism was due to expire on July 26--fired them just got Xfinity--Prism will no longer be supporting tv,they wanted us to go with Direct TV--after being without internet & tv for 4 days , and I own Centurylink stock,I would not recommend them @ all

The voice controls and picture quality with x-finity and I hope reliability will put CL out of business in TV
Old 06-24-2018, 12:12 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
You have plenty of choices, and they cost far less. You can install a roof antenna, aim it at the Orlando towers, and get TV for free! (What a great concept!)

Or, you can just get internet from Comcast for around 30 bucks. Then, you can subscribe to stream you choice of TV packages - YouTube TV, Direct TV Now, Hulu, Playstation Vue, Philo, Sling TV, etc. You can get all the "local" networks and anything else you want (including a cloud-based DVR recorder). WAY cheaper than any cable or satellite package that they offer. Stream what you want and change services every month if you wish. No contract; no equipment fees no "cable guy" showing up at your house. Cable is DEAD.
I don't know where you live but we're not allowed to have roof antennas and I thought that was the norm throughout TV.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I don't know where you live but we're not allowed to have roof antennas and I thought that was the norm throughout TV.

Per the FCC, that restriction cannot be enforced:

Q: What types of restrictions unreasonably delay or prevent viewers from using an antenna? Can an antenna user be required to obtain prior approval before installing his antenna?

A: A local restriction that prohibits all antennas would prevent viewers from receiving signals, and is prohibited by the Commission's rule. Procedural requirements can also unreasonably delay installation, maintenance or use of an antenna covered by this rule. For example, local rules or regulations that require a person to obtain a permit or approval prior to installation create unreasonable delay and are generally prohibited. Permits or prior approval necessary to serve a legitimate written safety or historic preservation purpose may be permissible. Although a simple notification process (e.g. post installation) might be permissible, such a process cannot be used as a prior approval requirement and may not delay or increase the cost of installation. The burden is on the association to show that a notification process does not violate our rule.

More:Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule | Federal Communications Commission
Old 06-24-2018, 01:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post

Not true. Unenforceable due to federal law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2018, 01:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
The biggest problem is nobody else has NFL Sunday Ticket. Red Zone is nice to watch if you're team is on a bye week or playing at night, but otherwise I want every game and not on my computer. ....
Not quite following you. If you can get NFL Sunday ticket on your PC you can send a HD signal to your huge TV, either by streaming it or HDMI. I use my Chromebook to get MLB.TV to my TV thru HDMI.

How to Get NFL Sunday Ticket Without DirecTV
Old 06-24-2018, 04:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
Not quite following you. If you can get NFL Sunday ticket on your PC you can send a HD signal to your huge TV, either by streaming it or HDMI. I use my Chromebook to get MLB.TV to my TV thru HDMI.

How to Get NFL Sunday Ticket Without DirecTV
If I'm correct, NFL Sunday Ticket is exclusive to Directv, they paid billions for the rights. I can get NFL Ticket on my computer but you have to buy NFL Ticket Supreme, which is the regular NFL Ticket plus an extra $100. That adds the Red Zone, the Fantasy Channel, and the computer capability, but I believe you can't get the Supreme as a stand alone. I have a smart TV and watch Netflix and Youtube videos all the time. I give my neighbor my password, who's a big Eagles fan, and he watches his team at his house on his computer and I watch on my TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker1
I hardly watch football so it is really not an issue. I prefer to go out and play sports myself instead of watching others. To each his own.
Since you don't really know me, here's where I'm coming from. From 2011 to 2016 I played neighborhood softball 15 seasons in a row and only missed six games playing shortstop for Ameila, Tamarind Grove, Liberty Park and Calumet Grove. Unfortunately I was diagnosed with emphysema in 2016 and I'm no longer able to do any running and I have 3 different inhalers I use everyday. So I gave up softball and also pickleball which I played on ocassion. I still play the championship golf courses weekly, go to MVP 3 to 5 days a week to keep what I have. I also was diagnosed this year with lymphoma, it's all tied in to my Agent Orange exposure.

I've only missed seeing one Baltimore Ravens regular season game since their inception in 1996 either on TV or in person. Baltimore is a small market that is wedged between Washington (40 miles south) and Philadelphia (100 miles north) and in 1995 when Baltimore put together the best sports package, the NFL awarded franchises to Carolina and Jacksonville instead and NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue said, Baltimore go spend your money on a museum. He said that to the wrong people. In the end, Cleveland lost their team for 3 years and has never fully recovered and LA had no pro NFL team for 20 years because he ignored St. Louis and Jacksonville has to cover a 1/3 of their seats to get a sellout on ocassion.

Baltimore is a football town, and even though I live in Florida I'm one of them. The Ravens get 71,000 people to every home game, there has only been one blackout game in 21 seasons. Some people don't care for football, I don't care for a few sports, mostly pro basketball, but NFL and especially the Ravens and before that, the Baltimore Colts for many years, and also College Football, golf and hockey I watch most of them religiously. To each their own.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:26 PM
Sage

That's fine but I have never seen much entertainment value in watching others play sports.

Quote:
If I'm correct, NFL Sunday Ticket is exclusive to Directv, they paid billions for the rights. I can get NFL Ticket on my computer but you have to buy NFL Ticket Supreme, which is the regular NFL Ticket plus an extra $100. That adds the Red Zone, the Fantasy Channel, and the computer capability, but I believe you can't get the Supreme as a stand alone. I have a smart TV and watch Netflix and Youtube videos all the time. I give my neighbor my password, who's a big Eagles fan, and he watches his team at his house on his computer and I watch on my TV.

Since you don't really know me, here's where I'm coming from. From 2011 to 2016 I played neighborhood softball 15 seasons in a row and only missed six games playing shortstop for Ameila, Tamarind Grove, Liberty Park and Calumet Grove. Unfortunately I was diagnosed with emphysema in 2016 and I'm no longer able to do any running and I have 3 different inhalers I use everyday. So I gave up softball and also pickleball which I played on ocassion. I still play the championship golf courses weekly, go to MVP 3 to 5 days a week to keep what I have. I also was diagnosed this year with lymphoma, it's all tied in to my Agent Orange exposure.

I've only missed seeing one Baltimore Ravens regular season game since their inception in 1996 either on TV or in person. Baltimore is a small market that is wedged between Washington (40 miles south) and Philadelphia (100 miles north) and in 1995 when Baltimore put together the best sports package, the NFL awarded franchises to Carolina and Jacksonville instead and NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue said, Baltimore go spend your money on a museum. He said that to the wrong people. In the end, Cleveland lost their team for 3 years and has never fully recovered and LA had no pro NFL team for 20 years because he ignored St. Louis and Jacksonville has to cover a 1/3 of their seats to get a sellout on ocassion.

Baltimore is a football town, and even though I live in Florida I'm one of them. The Ravens get 71,000 people to every home game, there has only been one blackout game in 21 seasons. Some people don't care for football, I don't care for a few sports, mostly pro basketball, but NFL and especially the Ravens and before that, the Baltimore Colts for many years, and also College Football, golf and hockey I watch most of them religiously. To each their own.
Closed Thread

Tags
choice, spectrum, satellite, compete, companies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.