Nasty accident at Laurel Manor Dr and Buena Vista

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2018, 12:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts
Default Nasty accident at Laurel Manor Dr and Buena Vista

We were driving thru that area yesterday and saw that an accident had just happened.

We often drive up Buena Vista and turn right onto Laurel Manor to see our doctors, but we never consider coming home that way. Turning left out of Laurel Manor onto Buena Vista looks much too difficult for us. Especially since the traffic on BV is going 35+ MPH.

We saw another accident there last year. Do you have any idea how that intersection could be made safer?
Old 10-30-2018, 12:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
We were driving thru that area yesterday and saw that an accident had just happened.

We often drive up Buena Vista and turn right onto Laurel Manor to see our doctors, but we never consider coming home that way. Turning left out of Laurel Manor onto Buena Vista looks much too difficult for us. Especially since the traffic on BV is going 35+ MPH.

We saw another accident there last year. Do you have any idea how that intersection could be made safer?
I suggest building a roundabout. <ducking from the flack>
Old 10-31-2018, 08:53 AM
Sage

Maybe using some common sense. I see many folks driving here who either didn't have class-room and behind the wheel driver's education OR if they did---they've forgotten what they learned. THAT area is dangerous (as are several intersections (one is over by Southern Trace on 466 that doesn't have stop-lights) here! We try not to utilize those and go to where it's a bit safer.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

Short of widening the island area, so you would be able to stop and proceed when clear or a traffic light, I have no other ideas. I have made the left from laurel manor on to BV, but I have a convertible (roof down most of the time) which gives me lots of visibility, but I agree when the traffic is high, this can be a difficult intersection. I have also gone out to 466, made the U turn, then turned left at the light, which has it own problems.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:27 PM
Sage

Same is true for someone coming out of Savannah Center and is making a left onto Buena vista.

Making the island wider seems like a good good solution to stay in a safe spot and continue, when it is advisable.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-01-2018, 03:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

We are forgetting that the Laurel Manor/Savannah area was built when there was much less traffic in TV and far fewer people living here. Then add the number of non-Villagers who use these streets to get to where they want to be and you have a problem.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 11-01-2018, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Same is true for someone coming out of Savannah Center and is making a left onto Buena vista.

Making the island wider seems like a good good solution to stay in a safe spot and continue, when it is advisable.
But Joe, if people exit right from the Savannah Center and reverse direction using the Savannah roundabout there is no problem. People do not use their commonsense.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 11-01-2018, 05:09 PM
Sage

I agree that traffic has increased a great deal so your point is well taken.

Human nature being what it is, I think most people would not think of that option. It's always, I'm always first and then there's everybody else.

They are always making improvements here, so why not make the changes before someone gets killed.

Sounds like a suggestion for the annual survey people.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-01-2018, 05:16 PM
Veteran member

Look every road in The Villages are county roads with the exception of Courtyard Villas.....sooooooooooo...It's up to each county's to make any changes and that takes years.

End of discussion.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
I suggest building a roundabout. <ducking from the flack>
A roundabout few hundred feet pass stop light not going to work with amount traffic going up and down BV. IMO the only way to make safe crossing is the stop light has to go red for 15 or 20 seconds before green and no right turn form 466 west. This would create gap in traffic come south. I have no answer for north bound traffic which with the extra seconds would probably back up traffic blocking the intersection out of laurel manner, so I have no answer either
Old 11-01-2018, 05:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post

But the savannah center has roundabout. All you got to turn right, work to left lane, and go around the roundAbout. This time of the year I would never try to turn left out of there.
Closed Thread

Tags
buena, vista, accident, laurel, manor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.