Owners - Rental Cancellations?

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2020, 04:12 PM
Default Owners - Rental Cancellations?

Curious what owners are doing about rental cancellations due to COVID-19? Are you refunding their money or not?
Old 03-19-2020, 07:05 AM

I have a couple from Canada that would have been renting April 2020 but made the right decision for them, to stay home. They plan on coming in 2021 and yes, I did refund their money.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:34 AM
Veteran member

We refund their money. This is not a normal year.

Yes, we will lose money.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:55 AM

our renters decided to leave 2 weeks early, We refunded that portion of the rent. Yes, it was a hardship as we were traveling and lost $$ with airfare and our own rent of an apartment, but nonethless, we felt like it was the right thing to do.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:29 AM
Veteran member

We cancelled a rental we had on Anna Maria Island for April through ****.....surprisingly they refunded our deposit even after the cutoff date...
Old 03-19-2020, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

OP are you the renter or the owner looking for advice. As an owner this should be a no brainer. It would be just as if you had a death, you would offer condolences, send a card, and refund their money.
As an owner if it puts you in financial distress, you can always speak with your financial planner.

Next time, As a renter before you sign ask, about an emergency situation
Old 03-19-2020, 09:09 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

The opposite view is it is a business not a charity.

What if I had rented to someone else who wanted to stay?

Why should anyone fund your choice?

Why did you ignore the landlords advise and not buy insurance for this? It is recommend on vh4r.com

Why would you want to go back up north when you can stay here and enjoy activities, albeit less than normal?
Old 03-20-2020, 07:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
The opposite view is it is a business not a charity.

What if I had rented to someone else who wanted to stay?

Why should anyone fund your choice?

Why did you ignore the landlords advise and not buy insurance for this? It is recommend on vh4r.com

Why would you want to go back up north when you can stay here and enjoy activities, albeit less than normal?
Because their insurance may not cover out of network criteria. And some travel insurance will not cover certain events
Old 03-23-2020, 11:55 AM
Default Rental Cancellations due to Coronavirus: Owners - what would you do?

We are renters and have been doing so for five years now. This year is no different when we signed our 2020 contract last fall. We rented this year for two months, May-June, paid in full way before the coronavirus outbreak. I contacted the owner yesterday giving them my concerns about staying in The Villages during this time while the virus is still rampant. Our contract is fairly standard - no refunds unless the home can be re-rented for the same period. Trip insurance does not cover pandemics. I know that all activities, pools and restaurants are closed now for an indefinite period of time. Basically, he reminded me of the cancellation policy, he doubts it will re-rent given the current siutation (obviously), personally he would go himself and the current renters are very happy to be self quarantined in FL. He has offered to shift our dates a few weeks. So, from this I take it he is not willing to refund our two months rent, however, he did not say "no refund", just let's stay in touch... a wait and see approach. This will be the second year renting from this owner and it has been a very positive experience. There is no way to predict what the coming months will be like. All I know is today. I see from this forum a few owners have willingly, without question given refunds. One owner said the "it was a no brainer". No need to explain the business side for the owners - I know it and get it...just like all the other small businesses across America that are in trouble due to the coronavirus. These are not normal times. Appreciate your thoughts.
Closed Thread

Tags
owners, rental, cancellations, covid-19, money

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.