Need Attorney to deal with a reverse mortgage closure

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2018, 09:00 AM

Nobody has to take anything by "default". Property can not be put in someone's name without them signing something.

The bank is simply implying this so that you do some work for them and pay some money.

The IRA amount and the proceeds from selling the car will probably have to go to the bank, tho.

Please do get back to us with what the real lawyer says. (I just play one on the internet....altho, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night).
Old 03-23-2018, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Thanks. Will advise once we get back down to FL. Next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:58 AM
Default Based on our experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Just to clarify :

☑️It wasn't left to me other than the fact I get it by default [emoji4]
☑️I do not want it.
☑️The remaining mortgage is like $110k the value of the property is probably closer to $50k so I certainly don't want to buy it.

Will call an attorney Monday when I get back. He has no other debt but does have a small IRA and a 2011 vehicle which I put in my driveway before we headed up north today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Settling my parent's estate was a nightmare.

You did not mention if your parent lived in Florida. I would imagine you will want to hire an atty in the state where he or she lived-they will know the laws of the state, have contacts to get any needed record etc.

You did not mention if there are other heirs which will make things even more complex. You do not want others going after you in the future.

RE: ATTYS
Long story short. I researched an atty that would settle my mother's estate for a flat fee. My sister, with whom I had other existing issues wanted some guy who charged by the hour. I still suspect my brother in law got some kind of referral fee. When all was done, the atty bill was about 50% higher than the guy I had to do it for a flat fee. I insisted on an itemized bill. The sob charged us for bottled water and coffee offered at the initial visit. He charged not only for his time but for the time of his assistant to tell his assistant what to do-double billing. A little research and I found the assistant was a law student likely working for free. I insisted on an itemized bill. The atty cut the fee down by over 2,000. FOR WE NOT ATTYS THAT IS GRAND THEFT

RE: $2000 TO EMPTY THE APT.
You should ask the atty. If, you empty the apt you are acting as though you acct responsibility for apt. Since you report to us that it has negative value; you may not want to do that. If, your atty advises you to empty it, you may want to do it yourself. There are things you might want.
It is not unusual for people to has hidden valuables and cash in their home. A few phone calls and you can give furniture to one of the charities and they will move it out for you. Depending on what your relative had you can hire one of those tag sale services and perhaps make far more than you expect.

FOR A LITTLE LEVITY-I tried to settle my mother's credit card bill. The FOOL on the phone told me they would need to talk with my mother. I GAVE HER THE CEMETERY PLOT NUMBER AND TOLD HER THEY MIGHT HAVE TROUBLE SPEAKING TO HER AS SHE IS SIX FEET UNDER.

HOPE I HELPED SOME.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Ed sorry for your loss and the associated headache of mopping up the problems with the estate. This place called Shine that Villagetinker recommends is a great place to start. The rules for many things are different from what we were accustomed to at our old home. I hope things work out for you easily and most importantly sorry about dad. Take Care. Careful driving on Bayway Circle the Ultimate Roundabout. If you need a hand just PM me.
Closed Thread

Tags
deal, property, reverse, mortgage, deals

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.