Need Attorney to deal with a reverse mortgage closure

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2018, 08:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default Need Attorney to deal with a reverse mortgage closure

My dad just passed away and he had a condo apt with a reverse mortgage (in South FL). I'm not interested in the property and I ASSUMED I could just abandon it and let the bank deal with it. Been reading and it doesn't seem like it will be that easy.

Anyone recommend a lawyer who deals in this sort of stuff? I really really just want to walk away from the property and not have to deal with it or spend any money on it.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I would think you do not need an attorney. The house would be sold and the mortgage paid off. Excess cash to the estate.

I would call the bank and ask then if they need anything from the estate and tell them the estate is not interested in the home so they should sell it and send the estate the excess cash.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I would think you do not need an attorney. The house would be sold and the mortgage paid off. Excess cash to the estate.

I would call the bank and ask then if they need anything from the estate and tell them the estate is not interested in the home so they should sell it and send the estate the excess cash.
This is a REVERSE MORTGAGE. They have been paying HIM for 10 years. That is what I thought for the last 15 years and expected. I went online to the mortgage company website and they say they won't take the apartment unless it is fully emptied (a $2000 job in itself) and cleaned out. If it isn't left that way they will cal in the balance of the mortgage (over $100K for a place now worth about $50K) and blah blah blah. I have been reading they go after the family as well. There was lots more that really bothered me so I stopped reading. It is bad enough I have to deal with his passing and now this.

I'm hoping a lawyer would know how to legally tell them to F off and the apt is abandoned.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

I always suspected those reverse mortgages was scheme. I thought once the person passed it automatically when to the mortgage company? Sorry for your lost of you're father and have to deal with aftermath.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I always suspected those reverse mortgages was scheme. I thought once the person passed it automatically when to the mortgage company? Sorry for your lost of you're father and have to deal with aftermath.
Thank you. That's what my father always ASSumed but everything I have read wasn't very positive. All he saw was the $$$$ which really helped him.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,149 Times in 2,248 Posts

There is a seniors legal aid organization that should be able to help, at no or low cost. I saw it in an article in the daily Sun, but did not copy it down. Try a Google search for 'legal aid'. If I come across the info again I will post, sorry for your loss and the additional problems.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:22 AM
Sage

Good idea. Thanks. Will do that as soon as we get back.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
This is a REVERSE MORTGAGE. They have been paying HIM for 10 years. That is what I thought for the last 15 years and expected. I went online to the mortgage company website and they say they won't take the apartment unless it is fully emptied (a $2000 job in itself) and cleaned out. If it isn't left that way they will cal in the balance of the mortgage (over $100K for a place now worth about $50K) and blah blah blah. I have been reading they go after the family as well. There was lots more that really bothered me so I stopped reading. It is bad enough I have to deal with his passing and now this.

I'm hoping a lawyer would know how to legally tell them to F off and the apt is abandoned.
In general the debts of the deceased can not be collected from anyone other than the estate. If the estate paid money to beneficiaries and did not pay the debts of the estate then I think the debtor can try and recapture the money. Their are people - check classified adds etc that do estate liquidations. They will price and sell everything. You might also be able to get someone like Goodwill to take part of most of the items. Maybe a local church group can use the stuff.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post

You might want to look at this since the value of the home has decreased quite a bit:

What happens if my reverse mortgage loan balance grows larger than the value of my home?

We used Jeffrey Skates at Mclin Burnsed in Sumter Landing and were impressed with his knowledge and happy with his advice. It wasn't for reverse mortgage, it was for estate planning.

Jeffrey P. Skates — McLin Burnsed
Old 03-22-2018, 09:02 AM
Gold member

Your post is very interesting, and caused me to do some Googling - and I discovered some of my preconceived notions about reverse mortgages to be untrue. From what I read, it is up to the heirs to sell the house (or keep it by repaying the reverse mortgage principal and interest to the bank). So apparently any selling expenses would be yours. Check out this link. Lots of good info, explained in plain English. Good luck with settling this estate. I'm in the middle of settling my mother's estate, and it's never simple.

Reverse Mortgages: What Happens After Death?
Old 03-22-2018, 09:44 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,621 Times in 1,764 Posts

I would definitely hire an attorney who handles such matters. If I understand what you wrote correctly the estate could possibly be facing a deficiency judgment. Deficiency Judgments After Foreclosure in Florida | Nolo.com

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-22-2018, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

From the link provided by Collie;

Upon the sale of the property, all remaining equity belongs to the heirs, just as with a forward mortgage. A reverse mortgage is a non-recourse loan. Which means that, if with the combination of the accrued interest and current market conditions the property will not sell for enough to repay all amounts owed on the loan, then the borrowers’ heirs are not liable for any additional amounts owed.

As previously mentioned, borrowers pay for mortgage insurance to the Federal Housing Administration (FHA), a division of The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) which guarantees that the borrower and the borrowers’ heirs will never owe more than the property is worth on a bona fide sale to a third party. The program does require a bona fide sale to a non-related third party, heirs cannot “sell” the home to other family members for less than is owed on the reverse mortgage expecting the FHA insurance to cover any shortfall to the lender on the amount owed (there are no restrictions on sales to family members or otherwise, just in the case of a balance of the reverse mortgage being higher than the value of the property and heirs wanting the lender to forgive the over value portion of the loan and still keep the property within the family).

I took a seminar from Citizens Bank of the Villages about Reverse Mortgages last November and met with the loan officer Jennifer last week. They have handled about 400 reverse mortgages in TV and then resell to Sun West Mortgage. They provide the money using the appraised value of your home. In most cases homes increase in value, especially in Florida. There were changes to the law last Oct 2, right now they'll give you about 43% of the appraised value. Whatever funds you don't draw out, will accumlate interest at 5.5%. So if you had a balance or line of credit of $45,000 and didn't touch it, in five years it would have grown to $60,000. So in the OP's case, his father might still have money that is available that could be used to pay off the loan, but in any event he will not be responsible.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,149 Times in 2,248 Posts

OP, I did a google search, using "senior legal aid organization in florida", and there is an organization listed in Ocala:

Dept of Elder Affairs
Social services organization in Ocala, Florida
Address: 1515 E Silver Springs Blvd # 203, Ocala, FL 34470
Phone: (352) 620-3461

Hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:52 PM

If there were no other assets in the estate, then the estate is really just debt associated with the condo.

I, above all, would not take 'possession' of the condo. Just because your dad 'left' it to you does not mean that you have to take it. So, especially before you talk to a lawyer, do not sign anything that transfers the deed to you.

Basically, it is not your condo....keep it that way.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:52 PM
Sage
Default Need Attorney to deal with a reverse mortgage closure

Just to clarify :

☑️It wasn't left to me other than the fact I get it by default [emoji4]
☑️I do not want it.
☑️The remaining mortgage is like $110k the value of the property is probably closer to $50k so I certainly don't want to buy it.

Will call an attorney Monday when I get back. He has no other debt but does have a small IRA and a 2011 vehicle which I put in my driveway before we headed up north today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Closed Thread

Tags
deal, property, reverse, mortgage, deals

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.