Need Clarification

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2015, 06:04 AM
Sage

Real simple to track. All ID cards have date of birth. If not on the card, on the application info.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT2TV View Post
That's one of the things I am going to put on my survey--to see if or how they track what the actual percentage is. Between all of the under 40 and under 50 that have built down south, and all of the linger ons that live with parents and grandparents, and all the renters under age that star in that other online news because of their "fun activities", I can't help but believe that we are way over 20%. and yes, I know within reason what 20% would approx. be based on who know what the population is at different times of the year. I just would be very interested in knowing. Not that I have any doubt that The Villages would find a way to sell to anyone who could buy a house. Before anyone sends nasty comments, my note is part tongue in cheek, part sarcasm, and part real question.
The 20% is based on ownership, not by who is renting.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
That's one of the things I am going to put on my survey--to see if or how they track what the actual percentage is. Between all of the under 40 and under 50 that have built down south, and all of the linger ons that live with parents and grandparents, and all the renters under age that star in that other online news because of their "fun activities", I can't help but believe that we are way over 20%. and yes, I know within reason what 20% would approx. be based on who know what the population is at different times of the year. I just would be very interested in knowing. Not that I have any doubt that The Villages would find a way to sell to anyone who could buy a house. Before anyone sends nasty comments, my note is part tongue in cheek, part sarcasm, and part real question.
You may have a common misperception about the law. It reads that 80% of the homes must be occupied by at least one person over the age of 55. Many people construe this to mean that 80% of the residents must be over the age of 55. Not true. Under the law it is possible for as much as 80% of the residents and maybe more to be under 55.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
The 20% is based on ownership, not by who is renting.
Sorry asianthree, but that is not correct. The law states that 80% of the homes must be OCCUPIED by at least one person over the age of 55. It says nothing about renting or owning. There are some over 55 communities made up entirely of rental units.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
We have neighbors who purchased a new home from The Villages, while it was under construction. <snip>
Are you sure? I have never heard of new house in TV being sold while the construction was ongoing. Maybe I haven't been paying attention.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Haven't met one under 40 living down here other than some disabled children living with their parents...as well they should be. Just sayin'....
Old 03-20-2015, 08:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Are you sure? I have never heard of new house in TV being sold while the construction was ongoing. Maybe I haven't been paying attention.
I believe she is correct. When we moved here 3 years ago it was possible to select a lot and build the home of your choice. I have a neighbor who bought a home while it was under construction. I believe the original purchase deal fell through while the home was under construction.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:33 AM
Veteran member

This first link is to the official HOPA (Housing for Older Persons) Act. It is not exactly light reading. The second link is a FAQ page which is much more easy to read and should answer most, if not all, questions.

http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/library/hopa_final.pdf

http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/library/hopa95.pdf

Note that the 80%, one person 55+ requirement is the absolute minimum to comply with federal law and maintain HOPA status. If a community fails to maintain and properly document their compliance, then the community would lose their HOPA status. However, individual communities can have much more stringent policies if they so desire. For instance, they could require that 100% of Homes be occupied by a 55+, or 60+, etc.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We were never asked for an ID. I guess it was pretty obvious that we were both over 55 ;-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
You are essentially correct. However, the deed restrictions state that no one under the age of 19 can live here full time, no matter how old the homeowner/renter is. Anyone under 55 would probably have to buy a re-sale home, since I don't think TV will sell that person a new home. I know that when we were starting our house search, one of the first things the TV sales rep asked us to prove was that at least one of us was 55 or over.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:51 AM
Gold member

Here is what my deed restriction says for my neighborhood.

The Villages Florida
Old 03-20-2015, 11:52 AM
Gold member

Been here long enough to hear about several exceptions.
1. Heard the under 19 year old children with 30 day visit limitation does not apply to special needs children.
2.Heard that the under 55 age rule does not apply to retired military or police & firemen.
3. Have also heard of many younger folks who purchase homes while under the 55 age and rent the homes out until they are ready for retirement.

Have also heard that the big change years ago that allowed Villagers to use their golf carts after sundown and before sunrise could be changed if the exception to the State Rules about golf carts results in too many deaths, accidents or violations of the Motor Vehicle Statutes.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:03 PM
Gold member

Following are FL Statute items that remain in effect and are worth noting. It took a long time for local authorities to allow 24/7 operation of golf cars in TV, but these same authorities while it is unlikely, could change things back to what they were.

From Florida Statute 316.212

(5) A golf cart may be operated only during the hours between sunrise and sunset, unless the responsible governmental entity has determined that a golf cart may be operated during the hours between sunset and sunrise and the golf cart is equipped with headlights, brake lights, turn signals, and a windshield.

(6) A golf cart must be equipped with efficient brakes, reliable steering apparatus, safe tires, a rearview mirror, and red reflectorized warning devices in both the front and rear.

(7) A golf cart may not be operated on public roads or streets by any person under the age of 14.

(8) A local governmental entity may enact an ordinance relating to:
(a)  Golf cart operation and equipment which is more restrictive than those enumerated in this section. Upon enactment of such ordinance, the local governmental entity shall post appropriate signs or otherwise inform the residents that such an ordinance exists and that it will be enforced within the local government’s jurisdictional territory. An ordinance referred to in this section must apply only to an unlicensed driver.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCV2015 View Post
So I am confused - where does the Fair Act law play out in the scenario you mentioned? Are the TV sales rep only allowing 55yr old or older to purchase and not allowing under 55 to purchase. Seems like age discrimination and not abiding by the Fair Act Law.
MCV, it is the Fair Housing laws that deal with age discrimination. The Housing for Older Persons Act (HOPA) was enacted as an amendment to the Fair Housing laws for the purpose of providing communities designed and intended specifically for older adults. As I pointed out in my previous post, the 80% rule is the minimum required by law in order for a community to retain their age-restricted status with the federal government. It doesn't mean that the community has to allow younger people to reside in the other 20% of the homes. They have the option to, but they don't have to. The communities can place much more stringent rules in place if they wish. The 55+ community that I lived in prior to moving here required that 100% of the homes be both owned and occupied by at least one person who was 55+.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
You are essentially correct. However, the deed restrictions state that no one under the age of 19 can live here full time, no matter how old the homeowner/renter is. Anyone under 55 would probably have to buy a re-sale home, since I don't think TV will sell that person a new home. I know that when we were starting our house search, one of the first things the TV sales rep asked us to prove was that at least one of us was 55 or over.
There are NO restrictions as to the age of a property owner in a 55+ community. The age restrictions are for residents.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
There are NO restrictions as to the age of a property owner in a 55+ community. The age restrictions are for residents.
Correction Indy...the HOPA itself does not restrict ownership to 55+, but an individual community can. Just like HOPA doesn't restrict residency to 19 and older, but the community can add that addition rule. In my previous residence, we could not purchase the house unless one buyer was 55+.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.