First Impression

Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2013, 10:41 AM
Default First Impression

We've taked and planned to move to FL upon retirement for some time. Still a few years away but I'm a planner and need to know my options. My parents could use it now and then it would be available when we are ready. Last weekend on our way to drive back up north (home) we stopped by the Villages for a few hours to see what everyone was talking about.

Obviously our first impression when we stumbled upon Sumpter Landing was Wow! - this is where I need to be. So we parked and walked around. Then we went into the real estate office and someone was happy to show us around. My husband make it clear we would not be purchasing today but we were just getting ideas. The agent was happy to accomodate us with no pressure.

My first concern that that we are "young" and would not fit in as we both are mid 50's. Well she took us to the community centers and we saw how active everyone was. Then she took us to the gym and I saw "older" folks working out and doing things that we could not physically do I thought - OK, the "older" folks are better off than we are.

They we went around and looked at some new houses (don't even know what villages we were in). The suggestion was then made that maybe we would look at resales. My next statement was "I don't want already furnished cause I don't want my house to look old". The realitor smiled and said you would be surprised.

After looking on line I see many beautifully decorated homes that I woud be so proud to live in.

In summary, this is the beginning. We both fell in love. We are planning on a time when we can come for a lifestyle preview later this year. I see it as a win-win since my parents would use it immediately and my mom would be going non stop. since I am her daughter I will fall into her footsteps rather quickly.

I've been creeping on these boards for some time, I've officially joined the boards, will be active in the discussions, and look forward to continue reading all of the comments and suggestions. Keep the ideas comming

Karen
Old 03-31-2013, 10:53 AM
Default Just do it!

I never did a Lifestyle Preview, I never spent a lot of time here in TV, I had never visited before, in fact I never took a trolley tour! I came to visit a friend, took a look around, decided that this is for me after doing my research, and bought a resale (bond paid and thousands of dollars of landscaping) where my friend knew the people selling. Just do it--and good luck!!!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:20 AM
Veteran member

My husband and I are in our 50's. We came to visit friends, came back 6 months later, looked at new, looked at resales. Walked out of our 4 house and went into negotiations. 24 days we were moving in!

While we are only part timers we try to get to TV once a month. We live in Atlanta so we are only 6.5 hours away.

Will be there in 2 weeks and can't wait!

We love our home in TV and looking forward to making it our final home in the next several years.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by klc1923 View Post
We've taked and planned to move to FL upon retirement for some time. Still a few years away but I'm a planner and need to know my options. My parents could use it now and then it would be available when we are ready. Last weekend on our way to drive back up north (home) we stopped by the Villages for a few hours to see what everyone was talking about.

Obviously our first impression when we stumbled upon Sumpter Landing was Wow! - this is where I need to be. So we parked and walked around. Then we went into the real estate office and someone was happy to show us around. My husband make it clear we would not be purchasing today but we were just getting ideas. The agent was happy to accomodate us with no pressure.

My first concern that that we are "young" and would not fit in as we both are mid 50's. Well she took us to the community centers and we saw how active everyone was. Then she took us to the gym and I saw "older" folks working out and doing things that we could not physically do I thought - OK, the "older" folks are better off than we are.

They we went around and looked at some new houses (don't even know what villages we were in). The suggestion was then made that maybe we would look at resales. My next statement was "I don't want already furnished cause I don't want my house to look old". The realitor smiled and said you would be surprised.

After looking on line I see many beautifully decorated homes that I woud be so proud to live in.

In summary, this is the beginning. We both fell in love. We are planning on a time when we can come for a lifestyle preview later this year. I see it as a win-win since my parents would use it immediately and my mom would be going non stop. since I am her daughter I will fall into her footsteps rather quickly.

I've been creeping on these boards for some time, I've officially joined the boards, will be active in the discussions, and look forward to continue reading all of the comments and suggestions. Keep the ideas comming

Karen
WHAT a great first post. Welcome. I think I see a new Villager.

We love it, love it. love it.

Hope you do too and your mother as well.

Age is only a number here.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:22 PM
Sage

Just do it!

Seeing the answers you found to your main "concerns", you've made more progress toward a decision than some make in years. You won't regret buying here. And if you do regret it, SELL it.

Years of searching for the "perfect" house in TV makes one miss out on all the fun and happiness outside the house, with wonderful neighbors all around who are truly "there for you".
Old 03-31-2013, 02:15 PM
Veteran member

We didn't do a lifestyle visit (no room at the inn when we were going to be here). We had been to TV a couple of times to visit an old friend of my wife and were going to visit him and take a look at Freedom Pointe. After looking at Freedom Pointe, decided we should look at some houses. Looked at houses for several hours each day for 3 days and found one we really liked. After a minor delay in deciding (we had actually left and driven down to Disney World before we decided that we should buy a house), we bought what we thought was the perfect house for us.

Having said of that, I had done research on the Villages over the course of 3 years before that trip. Lurked here on TOTV and read everything that I could find (pro and con) about TV. As the result, I didn't have any major questions to resolve before committing.

You're doing the right thing in reading up on TOTV. Most issues have been raised/hashed out/(sometimes) beaten to death here.

Most of us love it here. A few folks don't. From what I have seen, the ones that don't like it generally leave.

You will realize that there is a great variety in the houses here. Most folks find one that they really like. Look until one really grabs you. Trust me, you'll know when that happens.

Good luck and hope to see you around TV!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:31 PM

We, too, did the Lifestyle Visit, and 1 time was all it took! Fell in love with....everything!!! You'll love it here...that's a promise!

After a lifetime of adventures, the adventure of a lifetime.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:05 AM
Location: Mohnton PA, Raystown Lake PA, and NOW the village of Charlotte

We are both now in our 'mid' 50's ~ we came here 2 years ago for a day, loved what we saw, came back last year for LSV for one week, LOVED again what we saw, found our 'home'......had our 'checkbook' with us : ) 30 days later we were the proud owner of a new home. Never looked back!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Gold member

WOW!
Visited friends that were renting; bought a lot and moved in 6 months later.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:37 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

My parents have been renting 2 months a year for 3 years. Dad always wanted to buy but I didn't have time to come look (I pay Dad's bills). He got me to come stay with them this year and that is all it took! We will be a new owner next month.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:37 AM

The more you look at TV...the more it sells itself!!!!!!! Bring your checkbook!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:14 AM

Hi Karen,

We are also in our mid-late 50's. We heard about The Villages from a couple we met on a cruise who had moved from New Jersey and absolutely loved the place. My husband works online, so we rented a home in the old section for the whole month last September. We loved it! Found a home we liked but was overpriced, and just waited.......and put our home in Virginia on the market. In January we had an offer on our home, the one we liked in The Villages was still available and had just lowered the price in late Feb. so we made an offer which was accepted. The next day our buyer's financing fell through. But we loved TV house and knew we were getting a good price so we stuck with it.......just got our appraisal for $20K above our purchase price! We close on April 16 and will move down the next week after that to our new home in Del Mar! Now if only we would get another offer here, but I'm sure it will happen sooner or later.

Looks like there will be plenty of boomers and we are looking forward to making new friends soon!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by klc1923 View Post

Karen
Karen:

Great first post. I guess you found out how beutiful TV is.

I always say, "be prepared yo be blown away by the beauty of TV and it's friendly people" The second is "bring your checkbook".

There are some new villages that have the same age brackets, (younger), south of 466A but if you decide to buy a pre-owned that doesn't have or very little bond payment. No matter where you choose, there is no bad village.

Best wishes in moving to TV.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Location: Village of Charlotte (Lauren Villas) from Circleville, Ohio

We came for a one day visit just to look around about a year ago. I felt like someone had picked me up out of the "real world" and put me down in Utopia!! We loved it. We came back in September for a 5 day Life Style Preview and then loved it even more. We are come back in 2 weeks to look at the newest homes near Brownwood and if we find one we like will buy a house to use as a vacation home until we can move down full time. Soooooo excited!!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Sage

It's as good as it gets, when surrounded by so many happy people.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.