Need Good Air Duct Cleaner

Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2021, 10:28 AM
Veteran member
Default Need Good Air Duct Cleaner

We have had our air ducts cleaned three times over the years and every one has been a disaster.

Right now there is lots of "sand" in the air and we need the ducts cleaned again but do not know who is really any good at it.

Please if you have had a good experience with a duct cleaner post the name and contact info.

Thanks!!
Old 12-01-2021, 11:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

I have had homes in Florida even when I wasn’t living here much for 30 years a. I’ve never had the ducts cleaned in fact I’ve read articles and heard from AC guys that it can cause problems with the ducts : I have lived on streets where they were still building homes , I have also lived with golf holes right in front of me and I’m a guy who sleeps with windows open most night even in hot weather and I have never had the problem you have described, personally I would look for other reasons for what you are describing
Old 12-01-2021, 12:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcdonald View Post
We have had our air ducts cleaned three times over the years and every one has been a disaster.

Right now there is lots of "sand" in the air and we need the ducts cleaned again but do not know who is really any good at it.

Please if you have had a good experience with a duct cleaner post the name and contact info.

Thanks!!
Far from an expert but I too have read cleaning the ducts can cause problems.
Have you checked your filter. We have the builder installed Carrier AC. We use the Carrier filters which cost a it more than the generic ones. Not sure if it is true of all of them but I had a guy tell me they are a little smaller. He makes them fit using wooden paint stirrers. On ours, now 9 years old when I changed the filter I noticed some of the rubber gasket had let go. I glued it back with gasket cement.

Our system does not take in fresh air. So anything should go through the filter. The seals are not as tight as say your car air cleaner. If, you let the filter run till your AC says you need to change it, it is fairly dirty and the air will and does by pass the filter.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

The HVAC ducts are flexible and they have lots of nooks and crannies. It would be impossible to remove the dust and dirt in the ducts with the type of rotating brush that they use. Also, the brush can puncture the flexible duct material, which would cause a leak and allow conditioned air to escape into the attic space. And, you would not know the leak exists until you start to experience problems. I would never allow a contractor to clean out the HVAC duct system.
Closed Thread

Tags
air, good, ducts, cleaned, cleaner

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.