Need help deciding

Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2011, 07:54 PM
Sage

I'd also think of the traffic on the particular street and the difficulty of exiting from the neighborhood onto a major roadway. I'm thinking in particular the congestion on Morse N of 466 where you have a lot of cars and golf carts all trying to use the road.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:02 PM
Default You will know when you see it

A house will grab you when you see it. I like the list Quirky had. Write down which ones are gotta haves and which ones are like to haves and which ones you could add later. Then if you aren't having a good time - come down to Sanibel. We are all newbies and we love everybody.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:10 PM

we need assistance too!!!! We came down thinking that the Hammock and the Allamanda were our 2 choices, the she showed us the Sunflower, telling us that depending on the lot we should be able to get it for $212000 ish. We found a lot but we cannot extend the lanai, so we have to regroup. However all the ones posted,and already built/under construction seem to be substantially higher in price than she is estimating. She tells us there isn't price list to look at to see what you would want would cost. My concern is we sell at home in 3-6 months to come down and find out we cannot do what we want for what we want To pay. I love the kitchen and lanai on the sunflower and the Florida room on the Allamada ... We will talk to her again tomorrow but Any advice would, of course be appreciatedw. Btw looking in the Village of Charlotte.
Thanks.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:15 PM

We Just had contract signed and looked at 20 houses last week. 90% were fine but the final one we saw just took our breath. You will know the ONE when you see it..kind of like "falling in love". Don't give up and keep looking. We will not be moving in until May, but started our search in Dec and had Feb & April trips planned to look at houses too if neded.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:28 PM
Sage

Re: neighborhoods. If you buy in an existing neighborhood (as we did), you won't get the same feel as you would buying in a new neighborhood:

- - - New neighborhoods - everyone's in the same boat as you....all new residents....everybody wanting to meet everybody....lots of energy....etc.

- - - Existing neighborhood - you'll be pretty much the only newbie....you'll probably be the one to have to go out of your way to meet everybody else....everybody else is already established and comfortable in the neighborhood....etc.

To us, it didn't matter. We've gone knocking on doors just to say "Hi" to the people who live close to our place. We go for walks and stop to speak with EVERYBODY who's outside in our neighborhood.

It doesn't matter where your place is - you'll find friendly people everywhere you go!

Bill
Old 12-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

When I looked at resales, one of my major criteria was a 'volume ceiling'. I figured if I was downsizing to half the square feet I didn't want to feel boxed in. I found many of the ranch homes, CYV and patio villas that were in my price range if built before 2005 have 8' ceilings and even some brand new ones. Then when I looked closer at resales I found many of the improvements weren't to my liking, example laminate flooring or the kitchens seemed dated.

Last edited by John_W; 12-30-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromct;***663
I'm visiting in TV and I've been looking at houses with both TV and MLS reps.

The good news - there are some very nice houses in my price range for sale right now.

The bad news - see the good news.......

There are 8 (and counting) listed for under $165,00 that I would consider buying but they are located all the way from Piedmont to Duval and a couple of villages in between. I know this topic has been posted before and the consensus seemed to be that 'when you find the right house you'll know it'. I've tried applying 'logic' and that helps me get it down to 4 based on # of bedrooms (3), direction that rear of house faces (E,N), the 'likely' future value based on the village they're in (??), their proximity to shopping, etc, the 'feel' of the neighborhood - you get the picture.....

To take a narrower perspective, if you were buying today looking strictly at the perceived investment value, where would you be looking and buying?

Based on the prior advice, if a house hasn't 'spoken' to me yet should I just keep looking?

Please help!
Fromct,
Welcome to TOTV! I agree with others who have said to make a list of your must haves and must NOT haves and prioritize your wants. If you haven't found a house that stands out to you, there's no need to be in a hurry. TV is such a big place, you likely will always have a range of homes to choose from in your price range.

Since you have mentioned that price is an important factor, be sure you are making an apples-to-apples comparison on price. Remember to add the bond, if any, to the price. Consider any upgrades that you would make that haven't already been made on a new or resale you are considering, such as attic stairs, solar tubes, special flooring, counter tops, or landscaping. Do you prefer a gas stove or do you have any gas appliances you plan to bring? Homes south of 466 are all electric. On resales, how old are the appliances? Are they near the end of their life cycle?

Also remember that the price on resales is negotiable. It is unlikely that you would need to pay the full asking price on a resale. Of course, price isn't everything, as long as it fits your budget. So buy something you'll love, even if that means you haven't found it yet.

Keep us posted on your search. All best wishes!
Old 12-29-2011, 11:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo;***836

- - - Existing neighborhood - you'll be pretty much the only newbie....you'll probably be the one to have to go out of your way to meet everybody else....everybody else is already established and comfortable in the neighborhood....etc.
Bill
We bought in an existing neighborhood. We were the new kids on the block. Neighbours welcomed us warmly, and made sure we were included in activities. Then more more new people moved in as others sold. Lots of newbies and opportunities for friendships.

As far as areas go, we love living just south of CR 466 and find it central to both Town Squares.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Sage

Barefoot, glad to hear of your positive experience. Our neighborhood seems to be pretty low-key. Everyone we meet is very friendly and nice - - - they just don't seem to be really all that outgoing as a whole. Not a problem for us!

Lucky you!

Bill
Old 12-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo;***998
Barefoot, glad to hear of your positive experience. Our neighborhood seems to be pretty low-key. Everyone we meet is very friendly and nice - - - they just don't seem to be really all that outgoing as a whole. Not a problem for us!
Lucky you! Bill
Bill, for sure, some neighbourhoods are much friendlier than others. We've had lots of new people moving into our six-year old neighborhood, and they're always appreciative of a warm welcome. Our neighborhood also has street parties, weekly golf games, etc. We even have a group of pet owners that meet up every night so the dogs can socialize! We moved to a our current house from an older CYV area and those neighbours were very congenial also.

We find that we tend to hang out more with friends than neighbours. Friends that we've met through clubs, the dog park, totv, special interests like mahjong, motorcycles, etc.

As a rule, I find Village people are incredibly friendly. Most have moved "from away" themselves and welcome new faces. It's hard to go to the pool or out to dinner without making new friends. It's all good.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:18 AM
Location: Wilbur and I live in Ohio 6 mo. and Bradenton, Fl. 6 mo. and want to live in the Villages 12 mo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Bill, for sure, some neighbourhoods are much friendlier than others. We've had lots of new people moving into our six-year old neighborhood, and they're always appreciative of a warm welcome. Our neighborhood also has street parties, weekly golf games, etc. We even have a group of pet owners that meet up every night so the dogs can socialize! We moved to a our current house from an older CYV area and those neighbours were very congenial also.

We find that we tend to hang out more with friends than neighbours. Friends that we've met through clubs, the dog park, totv, special interests like mahjong, motorcycles, etc.

As a rule, I find Village people are incredibly friendly. Most have moved "from away" themselves and welcome new faces. It's hard to go to the pool or out to dinner without making new friends. It's all good.
We have our eyes on a Courtyard Villa and I worry that might make it harder to meet new people although my DH hangs out in the garage a lot with his saw.

Nancy
Old 12-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyLou View Post
We have our eyes on a Courtyard Villa and I worry that might make it harder to meet new people although my DH hangs out in the garage a lot with his saw.
Nancy
NancyLou, I honestly don't think you have a thing to worry about!

We found our Courtyard Villa neighborhood to be extremely friendly. Almost all Villa developments have a monthly driveway party, and some do it weekly. There is also usually a Ladies Group. The Pool is a perfect place to meet new friends. If your husband hangs out in the garage, perfect. Men will be drawn to your garage like a magnet!
Old 12-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Smile Thanks for the responses!

I really appreciate the responses so far - the net result is that I have a better feeling about going more with my reaction to the house and letting go of some of the 'logical' reasons...... As it turned out, today we saw a house that really
rang the bell for the LOML and me and we're very close to making an offer on it...

Thanks again - I'll keep you posted,

fromct
Old 12-31-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner;***955
Fromct,
Welcome to TOTV! I agree with others who have said to make a list of your must haves and must NOT haves and prioritize your wants. If you haven't found a house that stands out to you, there's no need to be in a hurry. TV is such a big place, you likely will always have a range of homes to choose from in your price range.

Since you have mentioned that price is an important factor, be sure you are making an apples-to-apples comparison on price. Remember to add the bond, if any, to the price. Consider any upgrades that you would make that haven't already been made on a new or resale you are considering, such as attic stairs, solar tubes, special flooring, counter tops, or landscaping. Do you prefer a gas stove or do you have any gas appliances you plan to bring? Homes south of 466 are all electric. On resales, how old are the appliances? Are they near the end of their life cycle?

Also remember that the price on resales is negotiable. It is unlikely that you would need to pay the full asking price on a resale. Of course, price isn't everything, as long as it fits your budget. So buy something you'll love, even if that means you haven't found it yet.

Keep us posted on your search. All best wishes!
Not really....I am in Sabal Chase and have gas appliances. I think its more construction after a certain date went to all electric. I know there are homes in Duval that also are gas. Maybe you meant south of 466A they are all electric.
Suzanne
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.