Need help with decorating (baskets on wall)

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2021, 10:16 AM
Default Need help with decorating (baskets on wall)

too many, colors?

please give your opinion...thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2907.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	88285  
Old 02-21-2021, 07:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

I would swap the positions of the two of the white ones with brown ones, probably the far left and right ones, but what do I know, I was an engineer, not an interior decorator.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,596 Times in 5,193 Posts

I am an engineer also. I would put a cover plate on the duplex electrical outlet on the lower left side of the photo. It's not safe the way it is.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:00 PM

Several comments in no particular order. 1. This looks like a jumble. When grouping similar items, something theme usually ties them together. Shape, color, etc. If you want these baskets on the wall, I would use the brown and group them above the table. 2. The layout is unbalanced and awkward. While both sides need not be identical, they should balance each other out. The left side extends farther out from the table than one the right. Also, the right looks "heavier" to me. 3. I, also, think that it looks funny with the baskets extending so far on both sides of the table.

Are these baskets special to you? Do you want to display them? Or, are you just looking for something to cover the wall? Could you hang a few on the wall and use some on the table? I might try hanging the brown and stacking some of the others on the table. A black square with a larger white and smaller white on top might be cute.

On the other hand, if you want a basket wall, fill it up!

Those are my first thoughts. Good luck deciding what you want.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by macawlaw View Post
Several comments in no particular order. 1. This looks like a jumble. When grouping similar items, something theme usually ties them together. Shape, color, etc. If you want these baskets on the wall, I would use the brown and group them above the table. 2. The layout is unbalanced and awkward. While both sides need not be identical, they should balance each other out. The left side extends farther out from the table than one the right. Also, the right looks "heavier" to me. 3. I, also, think that it looks funny with the baskets extending so far on both sides of the table.

Are these baskets special to you? Do you want to display them? Or, are you just looking for something to cover the wall? Could you hang a few on the wall and use some on the table? I might try hanging the brown and stacking some of the others on the table. A black square with a larger white and smaller white on top might be cute.

On the other hand, if you want a basket wall, fill it up!

Those are my first thoughts. Good luck deciding what you want.
Those are exactly my thoughts too.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I am an engineer also. I would put a cover plate on the duplex electrical outlet on the lower left side of the photo. It's not safe the way it is.
Good catch.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:53 AM

I'm an interior designer. The baskets are too far apart from each other. Also, they have no relationship to the table.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:56 AM

How do I form a relationship to the table?

thank you all!
Old 02-22-2021, 01:38 PM

Stack them above the table ... same width as the table.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:48 PM

I like the texture of baskets in a home but agree on decreasing the width on the baskets.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayerose View Post
How do I form a relationship to the table?

thank you all!
There are sort of "rules" to home decorating. In the case of hanging objects above something, most people hang pictures too high. Large pictures should never be bigger than the object they hang above and the same generally goes with groupings.

When you introduce an accent color, it is best to repeat it throughout the room three times. Be sure your colors you use are next to each other on the color wheel or across from each other. Form a triangle with objects sitting on tables or mantles, three in a group with similar color or texture.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:00 PM

I do Home-staging for homes to help sell a home - you need to tie the table into this ---it kind of looks like you stuck it against the wall for no reason...I'd probably take a mix of the above baskets, but only 3 (three for grouping) - I'd also maybe add a vase of flowers, or a simple object that you love on the table (I love this question and could go on for hours). Good luck!
Old 02-22-2021, 05:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I'm not a fan of baskets on the wall, I don't know how you can put them in any way, shape or form and it will look good. I don't know the colors in your room, or even how big the room is, it could a foyer for all I know. Take the baskets down, but you can leave the table.

The Villages Florida

Wall art is what's made to go on the wall, especially above a table. Not knowing your room colors, tan walls are earth tones, which will go with any colors just about, so to add color to your room I would get colorful wall art. This art is for sale on ovestock.com. It comes in 3 sizes, in the largest 30" by 40" it's $83, I just grabbed it in a second, there's many more to choose from.

Like I said, I don't know the colors in your room. If this is near the front door, put one of the baskets on the table and keep your keys in the basket. Maybe put some books or a potted plant next to the basket on the table. The table as it is, is too plain.

The Villages Florida

Overstock.com: Online Shopping - Bedding, Furniture, Electronics, Jewelry, Clothing & more
Old 02-22-2021, 05:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Let's say you want to have something more personal than just wall art. When stuck at home in March, but having access to a computer, I did this. I bought 24 of these 8 x 10 picture frames with glass fronts. They were 6 for $15 on Walmart's website, they've gone up, now they're $18.99 for a 6 pack and orders of $35 or more get free shipping.

Mainstays 8" x 10" Black Linear Frame, Set of 6 - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

I bought pictures on eBay of old TV shows and movies that I liked and wanted to remember, most cost between $4 and $9. You could use family photos, or those you took on a trip, and or photos you would like to buy online of subjects like flowers, or whatever. Here's how mine turned out. I had a section of wall that I wanted to fill with something, so I used them there. You don't have to buy 24, do just 6 or 12 if you want above the table.

The Villages Florida
Old 02-22-2021, 06:52 PM
Smile A Few Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayerose View Post
too many, colors?

please give your opinion...thank you!

You need a lamp on that table and a few small decorative items. Notice I said "a few."

The baskets take up too much room width-wise; keep them within the width of the table. Get rid of the white baskets, maybe one of the tiny ones on the left and even one of the square ones.

Hang them lower to the table without interfering with seeing anything you have on the table. The baskets can be placed higher than a lamp you use but not much higher than eye level.

Space them closer together evenly, but not too close. If you have a couple of small pictures or an interesting item that can be hung, break up the look of the baskets with whatever you have.

Post a new photo and Good Luck!
Closed Thread

Tags
decorating, baskets, wall, colors, give

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.