need help on gas cooking

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2008, 09:25 AM
Default need help on gas cooking

Looks like we are going to buy in one of the sections that does not have gas. Our agent said that we can have a propane tank buried so we can have a gas stove. Has anyone done this or know if this is really able to be done? We did this in the house we just sold and it worked out well.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:42 AM

I propane tank must be buried within the setback restrictions of your property line. The biggest problem I see is that since your home is on a concrete slab, it may be difficult to run gas lines into the kitchen area. Some home styles would make this task easier than others. What style home are you looking to buy?
Old 10-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Eternal Member
Default Gas Lines Aren't Buried in the foundation in my house

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryrobinson View Post
I propane tank must be buried within the setback restrictions of your property line. The biggest problem I see is that since your home is on a concrete slab, it may be difficult to run gas lines into the kitchen area. Some home styles would make this task easier than others. What style home are you looking to buy?
One of the design characteristics of the existing homes with gas is the lack of gas lines in the slab. The lines are run underground to the house but from the gas main they go up into the attic and across the garage typically to the HWH, dryer, heat and stove, all of which are fairly close to one another in my house anyway.

By the way, there have been a number of lightning strikes that have hit roofs and allegedly burst the gas lines causing a fast-moving gas-fed fire in the homes. Having the installer use "black" pipe for the gas lines wouldn't hurt as I think the builder used some kind of flex pipe that could burst easier. Propane, being a more explosive gas, will likely have different code requirements for the plumbing anyway.

Why not look at a used house in one of the sections that has gas (and maybe lightning rods?)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.