Need help with outdoor post light

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2014, 08:46 AM
Default Need help with outdoor post light

I live in a Patio Villa in Ferdandina, the first year the bulb lasted about 3-4
months, but in the last 4 weeks i have used 5 lightbulbs. They burn out after
3-4 days. I have used regular bulbs, and the newer energy saving bulbs. It does not make any differance. Some came from my old house when i moved,
and some i bought new. Have any of you had similar problems?
By the way i put a bulb in my neighbors light, and mine at the same time, hers still works after 4 weeks, i have changed bulbs 4 other times. Any ideas
of the problem? Thanks
Old 02-28-2014, 09:01 AM
Veteran member

You may have moisture leaking into the base of the socket and shorting out the bulb. Get a rubber washer that fits around the neck of the bulb from the Hardware store. Put the washer on and screw in the bulb. We and a few neighbors had the same problem as yours and the washer fix worked for us. "Builders Quality" fixtures used by The Villages leaves a lot to be desired. Usually one step up from WalMart.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:26 AM
Gold member

My neighbor had the same problem - apparently the cheap light fixture leaks. Good solution suggested by Jim. I would also see if I could caulk the top of the leaky fixture with some silicone caulk.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:59 PM

Replace the head with a new aluminum painted white unit from Lowes. About $21. Do NOT use the plastic ones, sun eats the plastic.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Last week we had a flood light lamp (bulb) drop out of the recessed high hat in the ceiling -- the glass part only; not the guts. Luckily, neither my husband nor I or our pets were underneath it.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:28 AM
Gold member

This is a common problem, and Jim has right solution. Just need to stop moisture.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:57 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
You may have moisture leaking into the base of the socket and shorting out the bulb. Get a rubber washer that fits around the neck of the bulb from the Hardware store. Put the washer on and screw in the bulb. We and a few neighbors had the same problem as yours and the washer fix worked for us. "Builders Quality" fixtures used by The Villages leaves a lot to be desired. Usually one step up from WalMart.
Thanks for the tip, we'll try this, too. Same problem with light post as noted in this thread.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:30 AM

Try a 'rough service' bulb.
They are made for mechsnics work lamps, aka drop lights
Available at hardware stores, HD, etc
Also there is a special pole lamp, outdoor fixture bulb a available
Very expensive, I got good results with the rough serv bulbs
Old 03-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Gold member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg&sueby View Post
I live in a Patio Villa in Ferdandina, the first year the bulb lasted about 3-4
months, but in the last 4 weeks i have used 5 lightbulbs. They burn out after
3-4 days. I have used regular bulbs, and the newer energy saving bulbs. It does not make any differance. Some came from my old house when i moved,
and some i bought new. Have any of you had similar problems?
By the way i put a bulb in my neighbors light, and mine at the same time, hers still works after 4 weeks, i have changed bulbs 4 other times. Any ideas
of the problem? Thanks
I have made this exact repair for several neighbors. My first thing I would do is make certain the small connection tab in the base of the socket is pulled up and not compressed all the way down in the bottom of the socket. Simply make sure the power is off, reach into the socket with an index finger and give the tab a upward pull.This problem is a heat build up and bulb failure because of a poor connection. Other POs have pointed out moisture, this also could be the problem if rain or sprinkler water is allowed to get into the socket.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.