Need help - saw this creature on golf course>

Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2021, 08:07 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts
Default Need help - saw this creature on golf course>

Weird and unusual find on Marshview golf course yesterday. Between the 5th & 6th hole, this creature was about 10' between the path and a small pond. Spotted it and ????

I picked it up, turned it over and moved it closer to the path. Never saw anything like this in my life. It was about 14" long and 5" wide. All the 'insides' were picked clean. The remnants were very hard and was like a thin shell. Spiny vertebrae, along with a tail and fins. The shell, in the front had side holes for the eyes and nostrils. When I turned it over it seemed lobster-like with the shell extending a bit underneath.

If I was alone, I would have taken it with me to examine a bit more - but the ladies were scorning me for picking it up, and said "yuck" 8 times. Did take some pics. Home and googled for shell-like fish etc etc. NOTHING came up. I believe that a bird got it somewhere else, and flew/carried it to The Villages where it dropped it.

As I said - weird. Anyone have thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	0 (6).jpg
Views:	10248
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	91692   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	1 (4).jpg
Views:	10126
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	91693  
Old 11-29-2021, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Rotting fish?

Alien?
Old 11-29-2021, 11:11 AM

Looks like a young monk fish.

I just noticed monk fish are salt water so probably not, but looks the same.

Last edited by Calisport; 11-29-2021 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:13 AM

I think it is a flathead catfish.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/Earth-Sky-Wat...56613481&psc=1

Florida fresh water fish.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Could be a bluegill bass. https://bassfishingfl.com/species/bl...nfish%20family.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:14 PM

Yes, it looks like a monk fish. Probably interesting story on how it got here. Fish Market, Restaurant, etc.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:35 PM

armored catfish in Florida
– There is another invasive species causing problems in Florida. It's a fish, with a suit of armor, known as Plecostomus, or “Pleco” or the Armored Catfish. Despite the fact that it only eats algae, it's causing problems with one of Florida's most at-risk species.

Grown extensively by fish farms for the tropical fish industry.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsetc View Post
– There is another invasive species causing problems in Florida. It's a fish, with a suit of armor, known as Plecostomus, or “Pleco” or the Armored Catfish. Despite the fact that it only eats algae, it's causing problems with one of Florida's most at-risk species.

yes - a very common aquarium catfish from the Amazon area. Very invasive especially in southern Florida. Thankfully we don't have their iguana or python problem - yet.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:52 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsetc View Post

BINGO! Thanks.

Armored Catfish - Profile | Facts | Size | Aquarium | Lifespan - SeaFish
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	0169032b0fe4ca8dc41daf54d6ea04ec.jpg
Views:	4986
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	91701   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	1 (4).jpg
Views:	4992
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	91702  
Old 11-30-2021, 07:16 AM
Veteran member

Looks like a mutant from some nuclear accident. Better check your hands for radiation.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
Weird and unusual find on Marshview golf course yesterday. Between the 5th & 6th hole, this creature was about 10' between the path and a small pond. Spotted it and ????

I picked it up, turned it over and moved it closer to the path. Never saw anything like this in my life. It was about 14" long and 5" wide. All the 'insides' were picked clean. The remnants were very hard and was liken a thin shell. Spiny vertebrae, along with a tail and fins. The shell, in the front had side holes for the eyes and nostrils. When I turned it over it seemed lobster-like with the shell extending a bit underneath.

If I was alone, I would have taken it with me to examine a bit more - but the ladies were scorning me for picking it up, and said "yuck" 8 times. Did take some pics. Home and googled for shell-like fish etc etc. NOTHING came up. I believe that a bird got it somewhere else, and flew/carried it to The Villages where it dropped it.

I have lived here all my life and have never seen anything like that. Appears to be an invasive fish. I would highly suggest you contact the Florida Wildlife Commission (FWC).
Old 11-30-2021, 09:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

I picked it up, turned it over and moved it closer to the path. Never saw anything like this in my life. It was about 14" long and 5" wide. All the 'insides' were picked clean. The remnants were very hard and was like a thin shell. Spiny vertebrae, along with a tail and fins. The shell, in the front had side holes for the eyes and nostrils. When I turned it over it seemed lobster-like with the shell extending a bit underneath.

Do-Do-Do-Do, Ohhhh, the Twilight Zone! Sure is weird, never saw anything like it. Did you have anybody look at it?
Old 11-30-2021, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslices1 View Post
Looks like a mutant from some nuclear accident. Better check your hands for radiation.
The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 11-30-2021, 10:39 AM
Send a message via ICQ to GregG7 Send a message via AIM to GregG7

Quote:

It was still there this morning (Tuesday, Nov 30).
Closed Thread

Tags
shell, bit, picked, turned, path

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.