Need info please Home Insurance cancelled

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2021, 06:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,177 Times in 4,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Isn’t the problem the roofers who go house to house saying we will re-lace your roof and insurance will pay for it….’you have wind damage”.
They get a free roof, and insurance companies require everyone else to replace theirs.
The people who jump at the chance for a "free new roof" are also complicit...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-24-2021, 07:03 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,063 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
The roof is under contract to be replaced because it has only about five years left
When you say your roof has "only about five years left," are you referring to the original roof warranty? If so, that would indicate your current roof is, what, probably 25 years old? Is it the home's original roof? If that is the case, no insurance company will be interested. Have the roof replaced, and then seek out quotes for a policy.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
When you say your roof has "only about five years left," are you referring to the original roof warranty? If so, that would indicate your current roof is, what, probably 25 years old? Is it the home's original roof? If that is the case, no insurance company will be interested. Have the roof replaced, and then seek out quotes for a policy.
You make it sound so simple, it is a much longer complicated relationship with the Insurance company, I wish it were just simple.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-24-2021, 07:26 AM
Veteran member

Is this something unique to The Villages? Or, does the entire state have this issue?
Old 09-24-2021, 07:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
Is this something unique to The Villages? Or, does the entire state have this issue?
We WERE long time residents of Mass. and NH and we never, ever ran into an insurance problem with either of those States. I believe this is a Florida State problem due to our violent weather , but someone more knowledgeable than me can answer you.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-24-2021, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,005 Times in 2,199 Posts

As a follow-up to my previous comment, in todays (Friday 9/24) daily sun there was a short news clip about Citizens Insurance (the Florida State backed insurance) setting a new record for coverage. I am guessing that an internet search will get you to an agent for this insurance if you do not find a regular insurance company for coverage.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
As a last resort the is a state of Florida backed insurance coverage, not sure of cost or who to contact.
I believe you are talking about Citizens (State Backed Insurance) They tend to be more expensive, cover less, and now require roof inspections before writing.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Isn’t the problem the roofers who go house to house saying we will re-lace your roof and insurance will pay for it….’you have wind damage”.
They get a free roof, and insurance companies require everyone else to replace theirs.
That is the problem from the insurance company side. The flip side, is that over 70% of the cases denied by the carriers, when they go to court, are lost by the carriers. They are then required to pay ALL legal fees, both sides.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
As a follow-up to my previous comment, in todays (Friday 9/24) daily sun there was a short news clip about Citizens Insurance (the Florida State backed insurance) setting a new record for coverage. I am guessing that an internet search will get you to an agent for this insurance if you do not find a regular insurance company for coverage.
Tinker, you are incredible. You have always come up with the answer to any problem I had and I cannot thank you enough! I will certainly follow up on this. On the other hand, I have given this much thought during a sleepless night and have decided if I can get Catastrophic coverage I can handle the small problems on my own. I have some feelers out and hope to hear more today.

I have, just this moment, had a conversation with someone in the business who says this is an ongoing problem in the State of Florida. I have one suggestion for anyone .... NO MATTER HOW RIGHT YOU ARE, DO NOT TRY TO ARGUE WITH THE INSURANCE AGENT, SUCK IT UP!

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 09-24-2021 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,934 Times in 2,703 Posts

Quote:
Tinker, you are incredible. You have always come up with the answer to any problem I had and I cannot thank you enough! I will certainly follow up on this. On the other hand, I have given this much thought during a sleepless night and have decided if I can get Catastrophic coverage I can handle the small problems on my own. I have some feelers out and hope to hear more today.

I have, just this moment, had a conversation with someone in the business who says this is an ongoing problem in the State of Florida. I have one suggestion for anyone .... NO MATTER HOW RIGHT YOU ARE, DO NOT TRY TO ARGUE WITH THE INSURANCE AGENT, SUCK IT UP!
That is good advice, everything is in a data base nowadays. Any negative notation one agent enters into your profile is now out there for all other companies underwriters to see as a red flag when you shop around your policy.

Best of luck finding some reasonable coverage for your home.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:41 AM
Default Insurance cancelled

Quote:
We have just been informed that our home insurance has been cancelled due to roof problems and right now nobody will insure us. There are some really smart knowledgeable people visit this site and I would like any information or suggestions you may have. Thanks.

It's either TOTV or the house goes on the market and we end up back in the frozen north. and that is not a joke!
I have worked in insurance for many years but in Maine. I do not pretend to know FL insurance laws but know there has to be a company that will insure any risk. I looked into it for you and the link below is the company that insures you when there is no other insurer that will cover you. I would look into that for an option other than selling your home.

Get a Policy - Public - Citizens Property Insurance Corporation
Old 09-24-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
how old is your roof? unfortunately, this is the result of all the "storm damaged" roofs being paid for by the insurance companies. Progressive told me they would not do a new policy if the roof was older than 5 years. I expect I'll have problems at renewal time as well.
My roof in great condition was 18 yrs old. The insurance company wants a new roof because it is the MAIN protection to your home. but if I did not get a new roof, then my insurance payments would increase and still have less coverage of my home. ALL insurance companies require this. As I stated its the MAIN protection of your home. So I did do a new roof and have to say glad I did... found a hole about to happen underneath that I never would of seen , with major damage in my future.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Thinking outside of the box - is there such a thing as getting a home insured for liability only ? Screw all these what if the roof leaks, a hurricane, a flood. I'll fork out the money to fix providing the premium is substantially less than today's standard homeowners policy. In 50 years of home ownership I have had two claims. Neither close to the value of having to rebuild a house. This would be extremely attractive to me as a two homeowner snowbird. If one home is damaged significantly I'll be moving into the other while repairs are performed anyways.
if you do not have a mortgage, you can insure your home how ever you want. but keep in mind, its your nest egg and when something does go wrong.. its going to come out of your own pocket. Your taking a gamble. Now for conversation and something to think about. When I moved to Florida... house, insurance etc.... the second month I was here... Hurricane Andrew (what the heck) came , took , demolished my home...yup.... demolished.... no, doors, roof, windows etc. I was under a pile of walls ... anyway... I was sick about it... was I covered for 100% or was I covered for the pro rated of how old my furniture was...thank goodness my insurance was excellent... and my $$$ I did not lose my investment and take a major loss because I WAS NOT COVERED PROPERLY. So be careful to cover your major nest egg. Have to say... esp here in Florida anything can happen, sink holes and tornadoes. Up North have to say, a lot less can happen. The Villages did get hit I think with Hurricane/tornadoes in 2007... lots of serious damage. Oh , ya, also when I moved in to the villages, 6 months later, found racoons and babies in my attic... been there for long time.... aaah $15,000 damage...yup, had to gut all the insulation Fl Health code, and damage inside attic. Sooo all depends how much out of pocket is ok with you.. almost forgot... golf cart.. hey off the road don't have to insure it... right... yup, smashed into some bushes curving out of the way from an intoxicated driver flying past me... but my passenger need to go to the Urgent Care for there hand, they did not have personal health insurance and because it was my golf cart (uninsured) I ended up paying out of pocket $1,000 for there Doctors Bill... Now I am golf cart insured...

Last edited by Rose Ann Vinci Igoe; 09-24-2021 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,375 Times in 3,052 Posts

I don't know what part of the Villages you live in but...if you're in a manufactured home, and your current insurance won't cover it because of the roof - you aren't likely to find ANY company to insure it at all. Unfortunately even though our homes are "tied down" with grey pipes replaced, floors reinforced, attached to slab-foundation sheds, with many of us having replaced the single-pane glass with double-hung double-pane E-whatever hurricane-safe windows....insurance companies won't touch us because they're considered to be "motor vehicles". With no motor, and no wheels, and actually ATTACHED to the ground. It's pretty insane.

There are only a few insurance companies nationwide that will cover manufactured homes in Florida, and they charge what the market will bear. Which is to say - they charge a LOT. And we pay it.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Check your Clue report. They have them for car and houses like a credit report. It may show why you are having an issue finding insurance

What is a CLUE report?
Always learning something. I think we all know that insurance claims are a matter of record-just not aware of the report name.

As far as the CLUE report I did look at the link. The link says like a credit report, you are entitled to a FREE copy once a year and they mention false claims on your account.
What I don't understand is why I would want a copy. I assume any claim would result in a rate increase and I would surely notice that and question it as well as explore competitors.

Far as insurance, we tend to think I've been a loyal customer for xx years. The reality is they use lower rates to entice NEW customers. Satisfaction is another issue. Insurance companies are rated. Any company will gladly take your money. You are buying insurance, the company shouldering risk. If, they have a history of not being fair to customers, you are not getting what you think you are paying for.
Closed Thread

Tags
cancelled, insurance, home, information, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.