Need info please Home Insurance cancelled

Closed Thread
Old 09-23-2021, 11:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Need info please Home Insurance cancelled

We have just been informed that our home insurance has been cancelled due to roof problems and right now nobody will insure us. There are some really smart knowledgeable people visit this site and I would like any information or suggestions you may have. Thanks.

It's either TOTV or the house goes on the market and we end up back in the frozen north. and that is not a joke!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-23-2021, 12:08 PM
Platinum member

how old is your roof? unfortunately, this is the result of all the "storm damaged" roofs being paid for by the insurance companies. Progressive told me they would not do a new policy if the roof was older than 5 years. I expect I'll have problems at renewal time as well.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
right now nobody will insure us.
Why is that??
Old 09-23-2021, 12:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

I don't mean to sound flippant, but if your roof is that bad, you won't be able to sell the home as it will fail an inspection and the buyer will insist on a new roof, or a cost reduction to cover the expense of a new roof. Your best option now would seem to be to pay to repair the roof if you can't get your present insurance company to pay for it, like everyone else seems to have done.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I don't mean to sound flippant, but if your roof is that bad, you won't be able to sell the home as it will fail an inspection and the buyer will insist on a new roof, or a cost reduction to cover the expense of a new roof. Your best option now would seem to be to pay to repair the roof if you can't get your present insurance company to pay for it, like everyone else seems to have done.

The roof is under contract to be replaced because it has only about five years left. There is NOTHING wrong with the roof at this time, but we did have two leaks one about 5 years ago which was the fault of the original builder not closing off the ends of the ridge vent. and one late last fall. We were officially told the insurance industry in Florida has completely changed the rules of the game.

The roof will be replaced and if it forces us out of Florida the house will sell with no problem, location, location.

I was hoping to hear from someone who might have been in the same position to know what they did. There MUST be someone out there who will insure our home for the right price!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 09-23-2021 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-23-2021, 03:13 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Check your Clue report. They have them for car and houses like a credit report. It may show why you are having an issue finding insurance

What is a CLUE report?
Old 09-23-2021, 03:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts
Default Oh please I know 3 people in the last month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
how old is your roof? unfortunately, this is the result of all the "storm damaged" roofs being paid for by the insurance companies. Progressive told me they would not do a new policy if the roof was older than 5 years. I expect I'll have problems at renewal time as well.
2 sold roofs roofs were 10 and 11 years old the other bought an 11 year old home , rumors are just that , there are actually facts out there that are easy to check, there were plenty of insurance companies that offered I know this first hand because I helped woman buy her new home , I did have to do a little more search for a good sinkhole policy but that’s not something I get all upset about either
Old 09-23-2021, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Thinking outside of the box - is there such a thing as getting a home insured for liability only ? Screw all these what if the roof leaks, a hurricane, a flood. I'll fork out the money to fix providing the premium is substantially less than today's standard homeowners policy. In 50 years of home ownership I have had two claims. Neither close to the value of having to rebuild a house. This would be extremely attractive to me as a two homeowner snowbird. If one home is damaged significantly I'll be moving into the other while repairs are performed anyways.
Old 09-23-2021, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Have you talked to an insurance broker, like The Villages Insurance? If no company will insure your house, it won't do you much good to put it on the market.

Another option is to try to get a fire policy instead of a homeowners policy. That type of policy will not provide the comprehensive coverage that a homeowners policy will, like liability, etc., but it would at least cover your house and possibly the contents. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2021, 04:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Have you talked to an insurance broker, like The Villages Insurance? If no company will insure your house, it won't do you much good to put it on the market.

Another option is to try to get a fire policy instead of a homeowners policy. That type of policy will not provide the comprehensive coverage that a homeowners policy will, like liability, etc., but it would at least cover your house and possibly the contents. Good luck.
The house is fine, it's us they don't like. We had a wind damage water leak that their guy could not find. We called in a private roofing company who found it was just a staple that had come up in the heat allowing the rain to get in when the wind blew in the right direction. We fixed the problem out of pocket and never asked the insurance company to reimburse us, and I think that is where we went wrong. I really don't know where to go from here, but I have a friend in the mortgage industry who is looking into this for us. We have an A+++ rating, and there are plenty of people who buy homes with no visible means of support. We have two months to find some type of coverage until we decide what to do, either stay or go.

Old 09-23-2021, 08:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

As a last resort the is a state of Florida backed insurance coverage, not sure of cost or who to contact.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

There is nothing you can't get if you pay enough for it including insurance.

Generally speaking for those who say "self-insure" if you have a mortgage your bank won't go along with that. If no mortgage and you feel you can survive a large claim like a (rare) tornado or hurricane or sinkhole or fire then no law says you need home owners insurance.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post

Doubtful a mortgage company would accept that (if you have a mortgage). They also require liability.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 09-24-2021, 01:33 AM
Sage

We have no mortgage and no debt. The house was purchased with cash and has never been mortgaged.

Old 09-24-2021, 04:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,589 Times in 934 Posts

Isn’t the problem the roofers who go house to house saying we will re-lace your roof and insurance will pay for it….’you have wind damage”.
They get a free roof, and insurance companies require everyone else to replace theirs.
Closed Thread

Tags
cancelled, insurance, home, information, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.