Need input on decision - New home with or without golf car garage

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2019, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

No matter the "fees" getting the golf cart garage now is the cheapest you will ever get it!!
Old 04-08-2019, 05:49 PM
Sage

You can't have too much garage. The more the better.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

Wish we had one. We can fit one small car (not my truck) and our two golf carts in our garage but the carts need to be parked on the same side. We are always shuffling stuff back and forth to make room or to be able to use the cart parked in front. A golf cart garage would be great. I need to check out the zoning offset requirements to see if it would be possible to add one someday, but I think it would be tight and rather expensive.

As far as renting, if you provide use of a decent golf cart and allow a pet, you will have absolutely no problem renting. When we did our home search and needed a rental those were our two requirements, and finding a rental that fit both of those criteria was not easy. That would fill a supply shortage for lots of potential renters.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:58 AM

We decided to go with our original Jade floorplan (I mistakenly said Ruby in the original post) without the extra golf car garage. It was just too stressful (and expensive) trying to switch out at the last second and we didn't really "love" the other house with the golf car garage as much as the Jade. I was worried whether we could get a long term renter for the Jade without the garage. We figure when we're able to come down and live full time we'll try it in the Jade for a while and if we need the garage space we'll look at buying a different home (maybe pre-owned) with the additional garage space. Fortunately, we were able to find a 2-year renter for the Jade so it worked out great.

Thanks again for all your input, it's great being able to post on this board and get help.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:33 PM
Default Your post is confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownBee View Post
Help, we're supposed to close on a Ruby (no golf cart garage) in Marsh Bend tomorrow but we're going to have to rent it out (preferably long term) until we can both retire and move down to the Villages full time. This morning we saw a nice Emerald style home with a separate golf cart garage that came available in a new neighborhood in Marsh Bend and are thinking of buying that one instead. It also has a larger yard with a fenced area for a dog. I read on this site that something a lot of homeowners wish they had was that separate golf cart garage. And, I've noticed it seems the extra golf cart garage is a big plus for long term renters. Problem is, the Emerald house is $25,000 more than the Ruby and it could cost us up to $2,000 in fees to switch to the Emerald this late in the game. The pro's of the Emerald as I see it are it would be easier to find a long term renter AND we would like the home better when we are able to live full-time at the Villages. The Ruby might sit empty for months while we hold out for a long term renter whereas the Emerald might be more desireable and we could get a renter in faster. It also might be easier to sell if we were ever to move in the future. If we went with the Ruby we would have to spend money on furniture, etc. outfitting it for short term renters. Anyway, we have to make a decision fast because we're supposed to close tomorrow so I'm looking for input. Thanks. We can swing either one financially.
You ask long term renter and then space for your dog.
I will just address golf cart garage. Space is limited in all of these homes. Translation I still miss my basement.

Depending on the model, not all the models have a full width golf cart garage. Without a full house width golf cart garage, you may not have room for a work table, storage or one of the all facing the same way four seat golf carts. I've never met anyone who says gee I wish I had less room. Of course bigger means more expensive. How much you can spend how much are are willing to spend is up to you and your bank account.

From the post I assume it is too late but, far as a golf cart garage, a piece of land bigger enough to have a straight drive way into the golf cart garage would be a plus. We have a two car garage and a golf cart garage. We only need one car as we use the golf cart or I use my bike to get around. The golf cart is in a side of the second car garage. Leaving the front of the second half for all my hobbies-OK my bikes and garden and, and and and
Old 04-10-2019, 06:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

Garage space is at a premium, if you need a golf cart get the garage space for it.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:06 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

With golf cart garage. My only regret on my house after 8 years is no golf cart garage.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

$25K is a lot to pay for a golf cart garage. When we were having our new house (Laurel Oak) built in 2016, it did not come with a golf cart garage. Even though we had no plans to buy a golf cart, and still don't, we payed $11K (as I recall) for a golf cart garage, and we are glad we did.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:30 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

You can NEVER have enough garage space!!!
Old 04-10-2019, 07:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

We have a stretched 2 car garage. One car and one cart. We have plenty of room and it is far from cluttered. We are not savers and there is room in my closets in the house.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Help, we're supposed to close on a Ruby (no golf cart garage) in Marsh Bend tomorrow but we're going to have to rent it out (preferably long term) until we can both retire and move down to the Villages full time. This morning we saw a nice Emerald style home with a separate golf cart garage that came available in a new neighborhood in Marsh Bend and are thinking of buying that one instead. It also has a larger yard with a fenced area for a dog. I read on this site that something a lot of homeowners wish they had was that separate golf cart garage. And, I've noticed it seems the extra golf cart garage is a big plus for long term renters. Problem is, the Emerald house is $25,000 more than the Ruby and it could cost us up to $2,000 in fees to switch to the Emerald this late in the game. The pro's of the Emerald as I see it are it would be easier to find a long term renter AND we would like the home better when we are able to live full-time at the Villages. The Ruby might sit empty for months while we hold out for a long term renter whereas the Emerald might be more desireable and we could get a renter in faster. It also might be easier to sell if we were ever to move in the future. If we went with the Ruby we would have to spend money on furniture, etc. outfitting it for short term renters. Anyway, we have to make a decision fast because we're supposed to close tomorrow so I'm looking for input. Thanks. We can swing either one financially.
I have a very different view to many posters. You are intending to rent for some years before you can retire. You are looking for a long term renter. I don't think golf cart garage or no golf cart garage is going to make a difference to renting the property, that means more to the owner resident than a renter. When you finally are able to retire there is a 101% chance you will sell this home and purchase a brand new shiny home in another area and when you are living in the home get all the bells and whistles you want. Just my opinion ...........

Sorry, I answered your post before I read about your decision. Good choice, you will not regret it!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-10-2019, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
We decided to go with our original Jade floorplan (I mistakenly said Ruby in the original post) without the extra golf car garage. It was just too stressful (and expensive) trying to switch out at the last second and we didn't really "love" the other house with the golf car garage as much as the Jade. I was worried whether we could get a long term renter for the Jade without the garage. We figure when we're able to come down and live full time we'll try it in the Jade for a while and if we need the garage space we'll look at buying a different home (maybe pre-owned) with the additional garage space. Fortunately, we were able to find a 2-year renter for the Jade so it worked out great.

Thanks again for all your input, it's great being able to post on this board and get help.
Congratulations on your new home purchase.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2019, 04:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We have lived here for 7 years in a villa with 1.5 garage. We have one car and one cart.. it works perfect. Unless you have some sort of shop in your garage, why would you need so much room for all of that stuff you don’t really need, probably never use and might not even know where it is.
When we down sized to move here my husband found he had two of a lot of stuff and a lot of things he didn’t even know he had.
Closed Thread

Tags
garage, golf, term, emerald, ruby

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.