Need input on decision - New home with or without golf car garage

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2019, 08:27 AM
Default Need input on decision - New home with or without golf car garage

Help, we're supposed to close on a Ruby (no golf cart garage) in Marsh Bend tomorrow but we're going to have to rent it out (preferably long term) until we can both retire and move down to the Villages full time. This morning we saw a nice Emerald style home with a separate golf cart garage that came available in a new neighborhood in Marsh Bend and are thinking of buying that one instead. It also has a larger yard with a fenced area for a dog. I read on this site that something a lot of homeowners wish they had was that separate golf cart garage. And, I've noticed it seems the extra golf cart garage is a big plus for long term renters. Problem is, the Emerald house is $25,000 more than the Ruby and it could cost us up to $2,000 in fees to switch to the Emerald this late in the game. The pro's of the Emerald as I see it are it would be easier to find a long term renter AND we would like the home better when we are able to live full-time at the Villages. The Ruby might sit empty for months while we hold out for a long term renter whereas the Emerald might be more desireable and we could get a renter in faster. It also might be easier to sell if we were ever to move in the future. If we went with the Ruby we would have to spend money on furniture, etc. outfitting it for short term renters. Anyway, we have to make a decision fast because we're supposed to close tomorrow so I'm looking for input. Thanks. We can swing either one financially.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Definitely get the house with a golf cart garage. Most people want it.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:41 AM

With golf cart garage withour a doubt.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:58 AM

Two houses on my street have added a golf cart garage in the past 12 months. They're pretty popular. It's got to be cheaper to have one from the get-go than adding one on later, I'd think.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:04 AM

I think most buyers want the golf cart garage if they can get it. Unless you get an expanded 2 car garage, you almost have to be able to get by with 1 car and 1 golf cart or you always have to park a second car in the driveway and then things constantly have to be moved around depending on what you want or need to drive that day. However, I'm not sure it's as big an issue for renters. I would think that most renters, even long term, would come here with only 1 car, so a 2 car garage would be plenty with a cart included. I believe the majority of rentals are villas and many of those have only a 1.5 car garage or the newer ones have 2 car garages. Villas with GC garages can be found but are more rare. I'd buy the house you want, when you finally get to move into it, and put it up for rent. Chances are it will rent like all of the others during the high season.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:12 AM

We did not purchase a home with a golf cart garage. We do have an expanded 2 car garage though. I would go for the Emerald. Having the larger fenced backyard was a huge plus for us. We have a large dog and its a good space for him. The other plus with a fenced back yard is the added privacy and noise reduction. Like you, we rent our home while we are not there. It is fully furnished and we get down there as we can...when it is not rented. We have a few more years before we can retire. Looking at the weather today makes me wish for those years to pass quickly!
Old 04-08-2019, 09:28 AM

Thanks everyone, great input and much appreciated. It's a big decision we need to make fast. I should clarify the Emerald has a small fenced back yard off the patio but it isn't a courtyard villa with a wall all the way around. The fenced area would be perfect for a dog-owner because it's a fairly large grassy area. There is a larger wall beyond the fence but the wall is just at the back of the property and not on the sides.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The only thing I miss on our home is not having a g/c garage.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 04-08-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownBee View Post
Thanks everyone, great input and much appreciated. It's a big decision we need to make fast. I should clarify the Emerald has a small fenced back yard off the patio but it isn't a courtyard villa with a wall all the way around. The fenced area would be perfect for a dog-owner because it's a fairly large grassy area. There is a larger wall beyond the fence but the wall is just at the back of the property and not on the sides.
For renters, if you are going to allow pets, the closed in yard is probably a bigger deal than a GC garage. I know when I used to rent down here, I searched pet friendly properties and never gave a thought to golf cart garage, though golf cart provided was a major plus. But I always only had 1 vehicle when visiting and rarely parked that in the garage of a rental anyway.

As a full time resident, now, though, I love my GC garage and wouldn't want to be without one and sometimes even wish it were a full 3rd car garage instead.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:28 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

While I would get the GC garage I would not consider the appeal to renter's. It is your home not theirs. You can easily adjust the rent down if it doesn't rent soon enough for you.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

It sounds like it's 'crunch time' for you.

Good luck with your eventual decision.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Definitely get at least the Golf Cart Garage. I wasn't able to on my plot but I extended the Garage 4 feet which was the max for my plot. If I ever move I'll have at least the Golf cart preferable a 3 car garage as not having a basement you run out of room believe me and there are items you can't store in the attic.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:16 PM

Getting the golf cart garage (or 3 full garage) may be the best descision you will make.

JMHO
Old 04-08-2019, 05:18 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

The renters really shouldn’t be a factor but even if you never get a golf cart, you’ll wish you had the extra space. There really is little storage in our homes. You’re limited to what you can put in your attic because of heat, bugs and vermin. So, a golf cart garage is a great thing to have regardless of whether you think you need it or not.

Bite the bullet, eat the costs and upgrade.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-08-2019, 05:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Even if you don't use the golf cart garage for a golf cart, it's the perfect size for a small workshop if you like to tinker.
Closed Thread

Tags
garage, golf, term, emerald, ruby

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.