Need lawn care

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2021, 01:54 PM
Default Need lawn care

The company I was using notified me they will no longer be in business. I have made several calls to lawn services/landscapers and either no return call or they aren’t taking on new clients. HELP - I’m just looking for someone who is reliable to cut my lawn, weed plant beds on a regular basis and Trim the bushes as needed. If you know of anyone TAKING new clients PM me please. My lawn hasn’t been cut in over 2 weeks and looks bad and the weeds are taking over.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankygrl View Post
The company I was using notified me they will no longer be in business. I have made several calls to lawn services/landscapers and either no return call or they aren’t taking on new clients. HELP - I’m just looking for someone who is reliable to cut my lawn, weed plant beds on a regular basis and Trim the bushes as needed. If you know of anyone TAKING new clients PM me please. My lawn hasn’t been cut in over 2 weeks and looks bad and the weeds are taking over.
Choice Maintenance
352-502-2880
Old 09-05-2021, 07:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,589 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieJr View Post
Choice Maintenance
352-502-2880
I use Choice Maitenance - they are reasonable priced, and show up. They have flexible plans (i.e. trim quarterly or monthly).
Old 09-06-2021, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
You want to ask your neighbors. Most of these people stay in one area saving time and expense of running all over the villages.

"Lawn hasn't been cut in over 2 weeks and looks bad and weeds are taking over." When you find someone it should be brought down slowly. Cut high. brought down over several weeks so as not to shock the grass. Weeds, you are likely seeing weeds that were always there but were cut off. You can buy weedkiller, I use liquid weed killer, it is faster working than the granulated ones. I simple spray bottle like from empty cleaners and spray em-don't hit bushes etc. Almost fun if you regularly tell em TAKE THAT YOU SUCKER.

I've lived in the traditional private home with a lawn most of my life. In high school I started and ran a lawn mowing business. The climate was far cooler than Florida.
This is the first time in my life that I ever had someone other than me mow my lawn.
Lack of room to store equipment, a too old shot back and all my other excuses. In nine years in the villages, we always pay on time and I am not a particular customer. Good enough is good enough. Our first guy, the best so far, disappeared stealing a months pay from us. The next guy also a nice guy, not as good work as the first, family issues he too disappeared. I called him and he refunded us the half month that he did not do the work. We are now on the third guy in nine years, quality of work is the worst yet.
I do not complain. Not sure but I think one more and I will go back to mowing my own.
I already do the chemistry, the weeding and the hedge trimming.
Old 09-06-2021, 11:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,589 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
You want to ask your neighbors. Most of these people stay in one area saving time and expense of running all over the villages.
I called 2 of my neighbors landscapers, thinking the same things, you’re here, add another lawn with 0 travel - both said they were full - even after I said they do my neighbors.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:34 PM

From what am hearing, the ability of being able to retain or hire workers is impacting most of the lawn and yard maintenance companies, just the same as it is for all of the other service companies. It seems like ALL companies are having a hell of a time of retaining employees, and an even harder time addressing absences due to Covid illnesses or quarantine requirements. I wouldn't be surprised if that is one of the reasons there has been a change in the performance of lawn care services lately. So finding a lawn service company that can handle both mowing and trimming may be really difficult. And you may want to be a little cautious about "firing" your current provider before you get a new one lined up. It seems like they are facing the same situation as the restaurants and other companies around the country are experiencing. Who knows, if this keeps up we may have to start mowing our own lawn.

I've also wondered whether the huge number of homes that have been added to The Villages may compound the problem. Since there are only so many people in the tri county area that provide these types of services and with The Villages continually growing, the demand for these services will stretch available manpower to the limit. Even though the population of Sumter county has grown considerably, that growth is primarily us Villagers. And we all want the same services. I suspect that the population of working age men and women in this same area hasn't grown in the same proportion as seniors, so the number of people to work in these service areas is stretched really thin. Look at all the new homes built or going to be built south of 44 and consider how many additional workers it is going to require in order to provide services (including lawn & yard work). I sometimes wonder if the growth of The Villages will eventually exceed what the surrounding communities can provide for store, restaurants, and yes, lawn maintenance employees. Just a thought.
Old 09-06-2021, 02:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
From what am hearing, the ability of being able to retain or hire workers is impacting most of the lawn and yard maintenance companies, just the same as it is for all of the other service companies. It seems like ALL companies are having a hell of a time of retaining employees, and an even harder time addressing absences due to Covid illnesses or quarantine requirements. I wouldn't be surprised if that is one of the reasons there has been a change in the performance of lawn care services lately. So finding a lawn service company that can handle both mowing and trimming may be really difficult. And you may want to be a little cautious about "firing" your current provider before you get a new one lined up. It seems like they are facing the same situation as the restaurants and other companies around the country are experiencing. Who knows, if this keeps up we may have to start mowing our own lawn.

I've also wondered whether the huge number of homes that have been added to The Villages may compound the problem. Since there are only so many people in the tri county area that provide these types of services and with The Villages continually growing, the demand for these services will stretch available manpower to the limit. Even though the population of Sumter county has grown considerably, that growth is primarily us Villagers. And we all want the same services. I suspect that the population of working age men and women in this same area hasn't grown in the same proportion as seniors, so the number of people to work in these service areas is stretched really thin. Look at all the new homes built or going to be built south of 44 and consider how many additional workers it is going to require in order to provide services (including lawn & yard work). I sometimes wonder if the growth of The Villages will eventually exceed what the surrounding communities can provide for store, restaurants, and yes, lawn maintenance employees. Just a thought.
We all in conversation deal with one issue at a time. Yet, reality all happens at the same time. With endlessly extended unemployment, handouts galore, why work. People willing to work, is not just an issue around the villages or in Florida. It is a national issue. The cause is obvious.

Fortunately, I do not need to or want to work however as was done in WWII women entering the workforce was a major found, discovered labor force. I wonder if they adjusted the penalty of loss of Social Security to seniors for working if it would discover an obvious labor pool.

Seniors mowing seniors?????????
Old 09-06-2021, 02:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
We all in conversation deal with one issue at a time. Yet, reality all happens at the same time. With endlessly extended unemployment, handouts galore, why work. People willing to work, is not just an issue around the villages or in Florida. It is a national issue. The cause is obvious.

Fortunately, I do not need to or want to work however as was done in WWII women entering the workforce was a major found, discovered labor force. I wonder if they adjusted the penalty of loss of Social Security to seniors for working if it would discover an obvious labor pool.

Seniors mowing seniors?????????
LOL in the heat? They’d get stroke. And if they could physically, many would be doing their own lawns in the first place.
Old 09-06-2021, 02:36 PM

"Seniors mowing seniors?????????"

I like that. Especially since everyone keeps saying they can't make tee times anymore, it will give us all something to do !!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2021, 03:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
"Seniors mowing seniors?????????"

I like that. Especially since everyone keeps saying they can't make tee times anymore, it will give us all something to do !!!!!!!
I can't help it. Only teasing but your first customer could be the original post. For me, I will gladly charge you a franchise fee.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:38 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
I have made several calls to lawn services/landscapers and either no return call or they aren’t taking on new clients. HELP
I had the same problem. Called 6 recommended places - only one called me back to say they are not taking new customers. I finally found one by listening for he sound of mowers on our nearby streets and getting business cards or if the worker was the owner, asked him to stop by my house for an estimate. So far, so good. He now makes ONE stop on my street and does 6 designers houses in about 40 minutes. Economy of scale.

Good luck.

Skip
Old 09-07-2021, 05:06 AM
Veteran member

Deans
Old 09-07-2021, 05:36 AM
Default R&B Landscaping

Call Vicky Anderson. 352 874-1819. They are taking new customers and are nice people.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:59 AM

Do not use Isom or PAX.
Poor service
Old 09-07-2021, 06:54 AM
Veteran member
Default Why not

Well over down the road in Pennbrooke Fairways and several other HOAs communities for seniors, the hoa is responsible for cutting your lawn. Something to consider for The villages,
Closed Thread

Tags
lawn, taking, cut, clients, regular

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.