Need more Pickleball courts

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2019, 08:11 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

The newest courts are located in the Spanish Moss Recreation Center in the Village of Fenney. That was opened in March of 2017. It's now 2019 and Happy New Year.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:03 AM

I believe there are a couple of activity issues at play re Southern Oaks. There clearly are a current lack of PB courts south of Rt 44.Other than Everglades RC, I did not see any PB courts scheduled to be opened at any rec center in the Daily Sun supplement magazine today. Another impact issue is the lack of scheduling beginner, advanced beginner and intermediate PB at 10 am at the rec centers where nothing is scheduled at 10 am. For example, for yrs, the only advanced beginner PB scheduled on Friday 10 am is Big Cypress and a far north rec center. During snowbird season, this results in lines of 25 to 40 people waiting to play. For every 24 waiting the wait is at least 15 minutes. The Rec Dept has been made aware of this, for yrs, yet no apparent effort to solve the 10 am long lines problem.

The other glaring Southern Oaks activity omission is the current lack of any championship golf courses. Today's supplement shows one 18 hole course (as opposed to the usual 27) planned for some future date east of Monarch Grove. That has to be at least 2 yrs away.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
My point is that there have been no new courts built since March 2017 in all of TV including both above and below 44. Are they too slow in building courts? I believe that they are.

Usually they are ahead of the demand to show prospective home owners what they have to use.
It's been much longer since championship golf has been added, and the sports pools are very overcrowded and offer very limited dedicated lap swimming time. I agree that availability of certain recreational activities are not keeping pace with the population growth.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:03 AM
Veteran member

I was under the impression that the southern villages were being built to appeal more toward those who like nature and more of the natural outdoor activities. This is why they concentrated less on courts and championship golf course and more on nature trails, dog parks, archery ranges and such. Are the pickle ball courts south of 44 busier than Rohan?

I am doubtful the residents south of 44 are what is making the pickleball courts north of 44 busy. In the off season I’ve seen an explosion of pickleball 101, 102, and 103 classes being taught all over. They became so ubiquitous they weren’t even full. This means there are lots more trained pickleball folks ready to take on the beginner, advanced beginner and open crowds.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:59 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

I don't play pickleball but walk my dog in the park at the pickelball courts in Fenney. I don't know that I have ever seen anyone waiting to play and most of the time they're empty. I'm sure there are times throughout the day that they are very busy with leagues, etc. but not all day long.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:44 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Hopefully they will build courts up north by the new rec center by 1st Baptist Church of The Villages.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:13 AM

The quickest, cheapest solution to adding court time would to be to install lights at those rec centers where the lights wouldn't infringe on neighboring houses (Colony would be an example). This would add an additional x number of court hours during the early twilight winter times when the demand is greatest and also offer a safer option in the summer when demand is low but the heat is high. Just a thought
Old 01-02-2019, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rga20 View Post
The quickest, cheapest solution to adding court time would to be to install lights at those rec centers where the lights wouldn't infringe on neighboring houses (Colony would be an example). This would add an additional x number of court hours during the early twilight winter times when the demand is greatest and also offer a safer option in the summer when demand is low but the heat is high. Just a thought
Good idea
Old 01-02-2019, 03:49 PM
Veteran member

I wish manatee would have open pickleball at 10 am .
Old 01-02-2019, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Neighbors around the rec centers should love this suggestion...………………….
You read my mind. Could you even imagine.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:04 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
You read my mind. Could you even imagine.
Could be done at Rohan, Eisenhower and some others without issues. However, it's highly unlikely to be done as many don't like changes and the costs.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

There are houses behind Eisenhower and I suspect sitting on your Lanai for drinks and listening to the soothing sounds of pickleball won't be high on anyone's amenity list. I said it before, reach out to John Rohan and ask the question. Discussion here won't accomplish anything.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-02-2019, 06:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
There are houses behind Eisenhower and I suspect sitting on your Lanai for drinks and listening to the soothing sounds of pickleball won't be high on anyone's amenity list. I said it before, reach out to John Rohan and ask the question. Discussion here won't accomplish anything.
:

Recreation Administration
984 Old Mill Run
The Villages, FL 32162

Phone: 352-674-1800
Fax: 352-674-1805
Old 01-02-2019, 06:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rga20 View Post
Another way to add more pickleball courts would be to add painted pickleball court lines to the tennis courts. Years ago that's what they did in our Michigan community so the little used tennis courts in the area could support the pickleball. Maybe the rec dept. doesn't want to provide the tool to lower the net the couple inches required, but players could get used to the higher net. Or they could leave the tool in the equipment sheds.

We even played indoor pickleball in Michigan on a church's indoor basketball courts. The pickleball lines were painted a different color than the basketball lines. It wasn't hard to get used to. If you can get used to lines over a basketball court, adding lines to tennis courts wouldln't be a problem. Even now, there are some tennis courts with short court lines added.

Adding lines to the tennis courts is a cheap answer.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59;1612152[B
]I was under the impression that the southern villages were being built to appeal more toward those who like nature and more of the natural outdoor activities.[/B] This is why they concentrated less on courts and championship golf course and more on nature trails, dog parks, archery ranges and such. Are the pickle ball courts south of 44 busier than Rohan?

I am doubtful the residents south of 44 are what is making the pickleball courts north of 44 busy. In the off season I’ve seen an explosion of pickleball 101, 102, and 103 classes being taught all over. They became so ubiquitous they weren’t even full. This means there are lots more trained pickleball folks ready to take on the beginner, advanced beginner and open crowds.
I'm wondering where you got this impression. The draw of TV has always been the many different activities available throughout the community, and outdoor sports has always been extremely popular. I think there have been people who have defended against the negative comments when Fenney opened by stating that it was serene, had nature trails, and was uncrowded. The uncrowded part will not remain as building continues. These are almost the only new builds available, and I doubt everyone building there is doing it for the nature alone.

Tags
courts, single, added, pickleball, rec

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.