Need more Pickleball courts

Need more Pickleball courts

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Need more Pickleball courts
  #1  
Old 12-31-2018, 08:59 AM
twoplanekid's Avatar
twoplanekid twoplanekid is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton
Posts: 1,292
Default Need more Pickleball courts

The local paper mentioned that The Villages has 182 pickleball courts, the most of any single location in the world. However, not a single court was added in 2018.

While it looks like twelve new courts at the under construction Everglades regional rec center will be added in 2019, they are a little bit behind the curve in my estimation of the need for courts.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 12-31-2018, 09:04 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: From Ohio, now happily live in Laurel Valley
Posts: 35,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
The local paper mentioned that The Villages has 182 pickleball courts, the most of any single location in the world. However, not a single court was added in 2018.

While it looks like twelve new courts at the under construction Everglades regional rec center will be added in 2019, they are a little bit behind the curve in my estimation of the need for courts.
You didn't mention if you had difficulty getting a court?

It is high season. All activities are more crowded and the popular ones there is a wait. That is because the place is flooded with those likeable, loveable, seasonal residents that pay their amenity fees year 'round. Bless their little round heads.
__________________
I have to be myself, everyone else is taken.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 12-31-2018, 09:22 AM
twoplanekid's Avatar
twoplanekid twoplanekid is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton
Posts: 1,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You didn't mention if you had difficulty getting a court?

It is high season. All activities are more crowded and the popular ones there is a wait. That is because the place is flooded with those likeable, loveable, seasonal residents that pay their amenity fees year 'round. Bless their little round heads.
I have been playing year around for the past two years playing around 4 to 5 days a week. So, I understand the court situation fairly well. However, all of this talk doesn’t change the fact that not one pickleball court was added in 2018. Behind the curve which would be a little unusual for The Villages?

Last edited by twoplanekid; 12-31-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-31-2018, 09:37 AM
Two Bills Two Bills is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 634
Default

When my wife and I came here 20 years ago, and expansion was in full swing, recreational facilities were put in before, or alongside new housing.
The latest developments have reversed that trend completely. Now it is houses first, and recreational facilities after, which until the new areas catch up, is going to put a strain on existing facilities.
Also from what I can make out, the ratio of facilities to housing is shrinking as well.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-31-2018, 09:39 AM
njbchbum's Avatar
njbchbum njbchbum is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!
Posts: 5,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I have been playing year around for the past two years playing around 4 to 5 days a week. So, I understand the court situation fairly well. However, all of this talk doesn’t change the fact that not one pickleball court was added in 2018. Behind the curve ??
Your post makes me wonder what amenities were added to and/or improved in 2018 that would have added to the enjoyment of residents involved in activities other than pickleball.
__________________
Not sure if I have free time...or if I just forgot everything I was supposed to do!

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-31-2018, 09:47 AM
John_W John_W is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,836
Default

...

Last edited by John_W; 04-21-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-31-2018, 11:45 AM
vintageogauge vintageogauge is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Posts: 1,126
Default

According to the same paper today there are 121,000 residents in TV and last year on this same date there were 123,966 residents in TV Metropolitan Statistical Area. These figures are not comparing apples with apples and are a bit confusing. They did however put in more holes of golf, archery, air rifle, dog park, bag toss, bocce, shuffleboard, pools, outdoor exercise equipment, etc. Next year will bring much more including Softball and Soccer fields, RC cars and boats, lots of new stuff on the horizon. Does anyone ever use the horseshoes that are scattered around the recreation areas?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-31-2018, 12:05 PM
JoMar JoMar is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,684
Default

Not sure what the "curve" is? Have you talked to the District to understand the ratio? Have you asked for the projections? Also, this appears to be the largest expansion in The Villages history and amenities require residents so I suspect sales will take priority.
__________________
No one believes the truth when the lie is more interesting

Berks County Pennsylvania
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-31-2018, 12:26 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 12,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Your post makes me wonder what amenities were added to and/or improved in 2018 that would have added to the enjoyment of residents involved in activities other than pickleball.
From the Daily Sun.
Recreational opportunities flourish with more to come | News | thevillagesdailysun.com
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-31-2018, 01:38 PM
Topspinmo's Avatar
Topspinmo Topspinmo is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.
Posts: 4,076
Default

I feel for you all below the mason dixon line having to travel mile or less to next rec center. Where I live in the nortorious district 4 it’s 4 miles to next tennis, pickleball, or billiards tables. District 3 fairs little better, but, not much.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
courts, single, added, pickleball, rec

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 PM.