Need more Pickleball courts

Closed Thread
Old 01-02-2019, 08:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Could be done at Rohan, Eisenhower and some others without issues. However, it's highly unlikely to be done as many don't like changes and the costs.
At Eisenhower? No way. Houses to the side and rear. What are the “some others” you refer to. IMHO, you’ll never see lighted courts here.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:26 PM
Veteran member

I was looking to move our tennis game and I got to tell you, it was very hard to find unreserved tennis courts for 8-11 in the morning. But later in the day, if there is still a need for pickleball courts, the tennis courts are often free.

When I’ve seen tennis and pickleball courts shared they use smaller nets on casters for the pickleball nets. The tennis nets are used as the fence between the pickle ball courts. If you have two tennis courts side by side you can get six pickle ball courts.

Raising and lowering tennis nets tends to wear out the net hardware fairly quickly. It might be a maintenance nightmare to attempt to do that daily. Not to mention trying to get recreation staff to pick up that chore, as you really don’t want just anyone attempting to play with the nets.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

[QUOTE=CFrance;1612673]Another way to add more pickleball courts would be to add painted pickleball court lines to the tennis courts. Years ago that's what they did in our Michigan community so the little used tennis courts in the area could support the pickleball. Maybe the rec dept. doesn't want to provide the tool to lower the net the couple inches required, but players could get used to the higher net. Or they could leave the tool in the equipment sheds.

Not really the net posts net height aren’t the same, so you would have to have temporary nets and some one to set them up and take them down

Well IMO when you have rec center close there should be either pickleball courts or tennis courts. Example is saddle brook and laurel manor. Saddle brook could make 6 more pickle ball courts out of tennis courts And LAUREL manor could be all tennis courts. So you would get two more pickleball courts and three tennis courts, plus the noise from pickleball would be separated from tennis.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
I was looking to move our tennis game and I got to tell you, it was very hard to find unreserved tennis courts for 8-11 in the morning. But later in the day, if there is still a need for pickleball courts, the tennis courts are often free.

When I’ve seen tennis and pickleball courts shared they use smaller nets on casters for the pickleball nets. The tennis nets are used as the fence between the pickle ball courts. If you have two tennis courts side by side you can get six pickle ball courts.

Raising and lowering tennis nets tends to wear out the net hardware fairly quickly. It might be a maintenance nightmare to attempt to do that daily. Not to mention trying to get recreation staff to pick up that chore, as you really don’t want just anyone attempting to play with the nets.
Most tennis courts are reserved usually till noon at most rec centers. in district 4 which only have 4 courts north of el Camino Reno at Chatham are reserved everyday till 11 am and the only 4 court design that don’t have warm up back board, another short changed in district 4
Old 01-03-2019, 12:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
At Eisenhower? No way. Houses to the side and rear. What are the “some others” you refer to. IMHO, you’ll never see lighted courts here.
Ther are two places prefect for lighted pickleball. Paradise has two beside the lighted tennis courts and cross 441 at La Hacienda. No house nearby and the traffic from 441 will drown out the noise anyway.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:19 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rga20 View Post
The quickest, cheapest solution to adding court time would to be to install lights at those rec centers where the lights wouldn't infringe on neighboring houses (Colony would be an example). This would add an additional x number of court hours during the early twilight winter times when the demand is greatest and also offer a safer option in the summer when demand is low but the heat is high. Just a thought

The quickest, cheapest solution is less players.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post

Another option
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	light.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	77993  
Old 01-03-2019, 09:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Another option
Or glo in the dark balls and lines
Old 01-03-2019, 09:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post

or less villagers
Old 01-03-2019, 10:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Hopefully they will build courts up north by the new rec center by 1st Baptist Church of The Villages.
I will be surprised it they do. Probably be the horseshoe capitol of the villages. Starting the 7th January district 4 residents can put their two cents in and be trumped by nickel. Two tennis courts with practice backboard would be nice, platform tennis courts would be nice, badminton courts would be nice, 3 wall racketball/ handball courts would be nice, pitching green would be nice.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Another option
Or open them up for the blind like me that can’t see in daylight
Old 01-03-2019, 10:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post

Well IMO when you have rec center close there should be either pickleball courts or tennis courts. Example is saddle brook and laurel manor. Saddle brook could make 6 more pickle ball courts out of tennis courts And LAUREL manor could be all tennis courts. So you would get two more pickleball courts and three tennis courts, plus the noise from pickleball would be separated from tennis.
At Saddlebrook there are two tennis courts and six pickle ball. At Laurel Manor there are two tennis courts and 4 pickle ball courts. You could move all the pickle ball to Laurel Manor and get 10 pickle ball courts, and 4 tennis courts at Saddle brook, but that is the same number you have now. Or you could move all pickle ball to Saddlebrook and get 12 pickle ball courts, but only three tennis courts at Laurel Manor, as you can’t fit two full tennis courts in the space of 4 pickle ball courts. It wouldn’t be the most efficient use of space.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,932 Times in 2,702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I will be surprised it they do. Probably be the horseshoe capitol of the villages. Starting the 7th January district 4 residents can put their two cents in and be trumped by nickel. Two tennis courts with practice backboard would be nice, platform tennis courts would be nice, badminton courts would be nice, 3 wall racketball/ handball courts would be nice, pitching green would be nice.
An indoor sports pool would be awsome.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
An indoor sports pool would be awsome.
I agree, I thought I read where the developers were going to build the pool, but that was couple years go when the property was first on the table for district 3 and 4 law suit money.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
At Saddlebrook there are two tennis courts and six pickle ball. At Laurel Manor there are two tennis courts and 4 pickle ball courts. You could move all the pickle ball to Laurel Manor and get 10 pickle ball courts, and 4 tennis courts at Saddle brook, but that is the same number you have now. Or you could move all pickle ball to Saddlebrook and get 12 pickle ball courts, but only three tennis courts at Laurel Manor, as you can’t fit two full tennis courts in the space of 4 pickle ball courts. It wouldn’t be the most efficient use of space.

You would get 3 tennis courts, being all the pickleball player complain the tennis courts aren’t used it would make sence to me. Beside tennis players don’t like the noise and movement behind them beings tennis is 10 times harder than pickleball and the ball travels 5 times faster.
Closed Thread

Tags
courts, single, added, pickleball, rec

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.