Need more Pickleball courts

Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2019, 12:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post

You would get 3 tennis courts, being all the pickleball player complain the tennis courts aren’t used it would make sence to me. Beside tennis players don’t like the noise and movement behind them beings tennis is 10 times harder than pickleball and the ball travels 5 times faster.
When I was at Laurel Manor yesterday morning both tennis courts were in use, one pickleball court out of 4 was in use. I’m not sure that area needs less tennis courts and more pickleball courts.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:37 PM

Definitely need more pickleball courts. You shouldn't have to wait forever in a line to play. Many tennis courts not being used. Change them over
Old 01-03-2019, 02:11 PM
Veteran member

If the tennis courts are truely not being used, I agree with you. I’m curious which tennis courts don’t have any reservations on them. Can you tell us where these are?
Old 01-03-2019, 06:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
When I was at Laurel Manor yesterday morning both tennis courts were in use, one pickleball court out of 4 was in use. I’m not sure that area needs less tennis courts and more pickleball courts.
Under my opinion Laurel manner would have 3 tennis courts ( 4 pickle ball courts turned in to 1 tennis court) and saddlebrook would gain 6 pickleball courts refiguring the two tennis courts. Beings they are so close together it would be no inconvenience to either pickleball players or tennis players. Under this concept would gain two pickleball courts all at one location and loose 1 tennis court. But, tennis at laurel manner would gain additional tennis court.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewall1974 View Post
Definitely need more pickleball courts. You shouldn't have to wait forever in a line to play. Many tennis courts not being used. Change them over
There only not being used while you’re their, you can look at the schedule and see when reserved times are, pickleball courts are not full all day long even during snowbird season. IMO tennis and pickleball shouldn’t be beside each other anyway. Especially when the don’t put up windscreen divider’s
Old 01-03-2019, 11:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

[QUOTE=Topspinmo;1612732]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Another way to add more pickleball courts would be to add painted pickleball court lines to the tennis courts. Years ago that's what they did in our Michigan community so the little used tennis courts in the area could support the pickleball. Maybe the rec dept. doesn't want to provide the tool to lower the net the couple inches required, but players could get used to the higher net. Or they could leave the tool in the equipment sheds.

Not really the net posts net height aren’t the same, so you would have to have temporary nets and some one to set them up and take them down

Well IMO when you have rec center close there should be either pickleball courts or tennis courts. Example is saddle brook and laurel manor. Saddle brook could make 6 more pickle ball courts out of tennis courts And LAUREL manor could be all tennis courts. So you would get two more pickleball courts and three tennis courts, plus the noise from pickleball would be separated from tennis.
IMO lowering the tennis net height for pickleball would be better than nothing.The posts heights don't factor much in pickleball, and it's only a couple of inches. Tennis nets can sag a couple of inches. TV will never pay to light the courts. Way too much of an expense.

We need another bowling alley too!
Old 01-04-2019, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[QUOTE=CFrance;1613076]
Quote:
IMO lowering the tennis net height for pickleball would be better than nothing.The posts heights don't factor much in pickleball, and it's only a couple of inches. Tennis nets can sag a couple of inches. TV will never pay to light the courts. Way too much of an expense.

Perhaps they are disinclined because lighting the courts would cause noise to nearby homes at bedtime for some?
Old 01-04-2019, 11:07 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Night time pickle-ball would be extremely irritating to the people who live in the vicinity of the courts.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Night time pickle-ball would be extremely irritating to the people who live in the vicinity of the courts.
Absolutely.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Just passed Manatee......courts were empty

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-04-2019, 02:04 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Just passed Manatee......courts were empty
Most do not play between 2~4 P.M. because of weather. Too hot or windy. Today, it's now very windy!

Could try lighting at Rohan’s 18 courts as a test but not sure how late in the evenings people would want to venture out.

So, I would hope that they would just build more courts. As the population of The Villages increases, I would assume that more people would want to play pickleball. To relieve pressure on existing courts, I would hope that someone builds more to stay ahead of the demand/curve.

Last edited by twoplanekid; 01-04-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Most do not play between 2~4 P.M. because of weather. Too hot or windy. Today, it's now very windy!
You're kidding me, right? So we need more pickleball courts which will sit empty because of heat, wind, etc?
Old 01-04-2019, 04:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

[QUOTE=CFrance;1613076]
Quote:

What does TV have to do with bowing alley’s?
Old 01-04-2019, 04:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post

Could try lighting at Rohan’s 18 courts as a test but not sure how late in the evenings people would want to venture out.

So, I would hope that they would just build more courts. As the population of The Villages increases, I would assume that more people would want to play pickleball. To relieve pressure on existing courts, I would hope that someone builds more to stay ahead of the demand/curve.
“Someone builds” , who is someone?
Old 01-04-2019, 04:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
“Someone builds” , who is someone?
You know, “them”.
Closed Thread

Tags
courts, single, added, pickleball, rec

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.