Need recommendations for home tech help ...

Closed Thread
Old 11-21-2021, 02:08 PM
Veteran member

I would forget about streaming thru the DVD player. Get a true streaming device like a roku, Apple TV, chromecast, and others. We use all Apple TV’s here to stream music and videos. If you want to go cheap and you have an iPad/iPhone, get a cheap chromecast and then you can do AirPlay from an iPad/iPhone to the chromecast device.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:56 AM
Default Firestick

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The issue I have with Amazon devices is that they try to block some apps that you want to install. This is true for the fire stick and their tablets.
You need to change to settings in developer's setting to allow any app to be installed. Have 4 firesticks and I have sideloaded many apps.The firestick works better then my Roku back home, I actually travel with one, they work great. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,588 Times in 5,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Man View Post
You need to change to settings in developer's setting to allow any app to be installed. Have 4 firesticks and I have sideloaded many apps.The firestick works better then my Roku back home, I actually travel with one, they work great. Good luck.
I understand that, but I would rather use a Roku instead of bypassing the Firestick setup. But, how does a Firestick work better than a Roku?
Old 11-22-2021, 01:43 PM
Default Internet Connecdtion

[QUOTE=Quixote;2031513]At one time our Blu-ray player with Internet capability was able to pick up the wireless signal from our CenturyLink (DSL) modem so that we were able to connect to stream wirelessly, for example, Netflix or YouTube.. One day it stopped working. Sony actually replaced the Blu-ray player, thinking that that was the issue, but it was not.
The Blu-ray player connected to the 'external' television recognizes the home network yet uounable to connect to it. We've tried a number of ways to get it to reconnect, to no avail. y post contact information publicly, for the benefit of other Villagers who may be having
Happyf

If you have a dual band internet modem you may be trying to connect to 5.0, yet the older blue tooth only connects to 2.4, try connecting to that.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:42 PM
Veteran member
Default Thank you, thank you all!

Buying this gadget for $29.00 on Amazon was easy enough–and equally easy (this is coming from a technophobe...) was equally easy. We are overwhelmed seeing how much is available out there, and even though we're not big television watchers, having all this available is terrific! We're so pleased that we just ordered two more—one for our 'primary' computer in our den, and the other in the guest room. Many thanks again, and a healthy, peaceful, and joyous holiday season to all!
Old 11-27-2021, 07:31 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The issue I have with Amazon devices is that they try to block some apps that you want to install. This is true for the fire stick and their tablets.
All you need to do is open settings then open My Fire TV, then open Developer Options then open intstall unknown apps change OFF to ON. Problem Solved.
Closed Thread

Tags
blu-ray, player, issue, connect, working

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.