Neighborhood Social without Gathering

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2020, 12:17 PM
Default Neighborhood Social without Gathering

This is an idea that we are going to try in our CYV neighborhood during this quarantine:

I’m sure everyone here is about to go stir crazy with no activities going on. I feel especially sorry for our elderly neighbors who are living alone and getting very little human contact. I’ve thought of an idea that might be fun. Here’s the plan:

One evening a week, (we are doing Fridays at 6 pm,) we have a “Social without Gathering.”

On week 1, all the neighbors living in odd numbered homes pull out their chairs and “happy hour” beverages to the end of their driveways. All the neighbors living in even numbered houses take a walk or bike around the neighborhood (with drinks in hand) and stop to chat with those seated in the driveway - keeping at least 6 feet from everybody. (No dogs because everyone wants to pet them and there could be virus germs on them.)

Then, the following week, reverse it - odd numbers walk, evens sit in the driveway. No sharing of food or drink, just friendly conversation. The walkers can try to limit the visit to 10 minutes or less, keep the distance, and move on to the next house. Of course, those who cannot walk can park themselves in a chair at the driveway each week. We can find out if any of our neighbors need anything (like a roll of TP) that we could provide if we have it.

Neighbors in the driveways can bring out stereos with music! An old fashioned Promenade! Dancing alone in the streets! What do you think???
Old 03-22-2020, 12:30 PM
Sage

Sounds cool. How do you spread word to all the neighbors?
Old 03-22-2020, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Great idea .... very similar to the old English wartime news reels I have seen, when people would come out onto the streets just to make sure everyone was OK after an air raid.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 03-22-2020, 04:23 PM

We have everyone’s emails.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:46 PM
Platinum member

Nice idea.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:54 PM

GREAT idea!!!
Old 03-22-2020, 10:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Except it would be wise not to: "bike around the neighborhood (with drinks in hand)"
Old 03-23-2020, 04:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

In some areas of UK, some streets have organised a help system based on red and green squares of carboard place in windows
Green if all OK, Red if help is needed.
Neighbors can then quickly help anyone in need.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:05 AM
Veteran member

Sound great
Old 03-23-2020, 05:14 AM

It was sent out by email .
Old 03-23-2020, 05:30 AM
Send a message via AIM to JudyLife

Brilliant idea! Helps keep spirits up while adhering to the public health advice! Well done
Old 03-23-2020, 07:22 AM

What a fabulous idea! Been here 2 months, but haven't had a chance to meet many neighbors. Sure appeals to me!
Old 03-23-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyGirl View Post
This is an idea that we are going to try in our CYV neighborhood during this quarantine:

I’m sure everyone here is about to go stir crazy with no activities going on. I feel especially sorry for our elderly neighbors who are living alone and getting very little human contact. I’ve thought of an idea that might be fun. Here’s the plan:

One evening a week, (we are doing Fridays at 6 pm,) we have a “Social without Gathering.”

On week 1, all the neighbors living in odd numbered homes pull out their chairs and “happy hour” beverages to the end of their driveways. All the neighbors living in even numbered houses take a walk or bike around the neighborhood (with drinks in hand) and stop to chat with those seated in the driveway - keeping at least 6 feet from everybody. (No dogs because everyone wants to pet them and there could be virus germs on them.)

Then, the following week, reverse it - odd numbers walk, evens sit in the driveway. No sharing of food or drink, just friendly conversation. The walkers can try to limit the visit to 10 minutes or less, keep the distance, and move on to the next house. Of course, those who cannot walk can park themselves in a chair at the driveway each week. We can find out if any of our neighbors need anything (like a roll of TP) that we could provide if we have it.

Neighbors in the driveways can bring out stereos with music! An old fashioned Promenade! Dancing alone in the streets! What do you think???
Good Morning
My Name is Allen I am in Village of Sanibel I have my own keyboard and amp, and on my block I have played for informal house parties and driveway parties just for fun. I would like to have the opportunity to speak with you, and possibly have everybody lighten up and sing oldies doo wop music. Would love to help here please call me 352-633-6120
Old 03-23-2020, 08:02 AM
Default maama

Great idea! If only everyone were taking this as seriously, the curve would flatten a lot quicker. On my nightly walks, I see some doing this, but also see some not observing the social distancing at all. We are ALL supposed to be acting as though we have the virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyGirl View Post

Old 03-23-2020, 08:13 AM

We have been walking more and visiting keeping social distance. But this is an even better idea!
I agree 100. Let’s all do it.
Closed Thread

Tags
neighbors, week, walk, living, neighborhood

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.