Neighborhood Social without Gathering

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyGirl View Post
This is an idea that we are going to try in our CYV neighborhood during this quarantine:

I’m sure everyone here is about to go stir crazy with no activities going on. I feel especially sorry for our elderly neighbors who are living alone and getting very little human contact. I’ve thought of an idea that might be fun. Here’s the plan:

One evening a week, (we are doing Fridays at 6 pm,) we have a “Social without Gathering.”

On week 1, all the neighbors living in odd numbered homes pull out their chairs and “happy hour” beverages to the end of their driveways. All the neighbors living in even numbered houses take a walk or bike around the neighborhood (with drinks in hand) and stop to chat with those seated in the driveway - keeping at least 6 feet from everybody. (No dogs because everyone wants to pet them and there could be virus germs on them.)

Then, the following week, reverse it - odd numbers walk, evens sit in the driveway. No sharing of food or drink, just friendly conversation. The walkers can try to limit the visit to 10 minutes or less, keep the distance, and move on to the next house. Of course, those who cannot walk can park themselves in a chair at the driveway each week. We can find out if any of our neighbors need anything (like a roll of TP) that we could provide if we have it.

Neighbors in the driveways can bring out stereos with music! An old fashioned Promenade! Dancing alone in the streets! What do you think???
Super idea. Especially with music. And, anyone and everyone can dance in the street. Count me in!!!
Old 03-23-2020, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,505 Posts

My sister lives in Koln in Germany, and every evening at 9 pm. the majority of the city go onto their balconies, or stand at their front doors an applaud for the health workers, and those working against the virus.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:44 AM

Hi Again. Looking over the message I just sent I realize my suggestion is not suitable at this time. The spacing would be a problem and people would be too close together. The offer still stands at a future date if there is any interest.

Allen
Old 03-23-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyGirl View Post
This is an idea that we are going to try in our CYV neighborhood during this quarantine:

I’m sure everyone here is about to go stir crazy with no activities going on. I feel especially sorry for our elderly neighbors who are living alone and getting very little human contact. I’ve thought of an idea that might be fun. Here’s the plan:

One evening a week, (we are doing Fridays at 6 pm,) we have a “Social without Gathering.”

On week 1, all the neighbors living in odd numbered homes pull out their chairs and “happy hour” beverages to the end of their driveways. All the neighbors living in even numbered houses take a walk or bike around the neighborhood (with drinks in hand) and stop to chat with those seated in the driveway - keeping at least 6 feet from everybody. (No dogs because everyone wants to pet them and there could be virus germs on them.)

Then, the following week, reverse it - odd numbers walk, evens sit in the driveway. No sharing of food or drink, just friendly conversation. The walkers can try to limit the visit to 10 minutes or less, keep the distance, and move on to the next house. Of course, those who cannot walk can park themselves in a chair at the driveway each week. We can find out if any of our neighbors need anything (like a roll of TP) that we could provide if we have it.

Neighbors in the driveways can bring out stereos with music! An old fashioned Promenade! Dancing alone in the streets! What do you think???
Great ideas
Old 03-23-2020, 10:09 AM

Superb idea!👏👍🏼
Old 03-23-2020, 10:44 AM

Thanks Alan. We would LOVE to have you at our next neighborhood social when the virus passes. I’m keeping your contact info.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:51 AM

What a great idra. Wonder if my street would like thst. We have 32 homes on my street. I might just distribute a flyer suggesting just that. Let me know how it works in you CYV
Old 03-24-2020, 01:44 PM
Veteran member

We have a group that drives to our pool’s parking lot and forms a circle with our golf carts. We are safely distanced and it’s great to see each other. I brought my wireless speaker and played Kenny Rogers’ Music on Saturday night. It was a true circle of friends.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:04 AM
Platinum member

Great idea! Some neighborhoods are doing something similar, only every evening.

QUOTE=SouthJerseyGirl;1731672]This is an idea that we are going to try in our CYV neighborhood during this quarantine:

Neighbors in the driveways can bring out stereos with music! An old fashioned Promenade! Dancing alone in the streets! What do you think???[/QUOTE]
Old 03-27-2020, 09:16 AM

We tried this in our villa neighborhood last night, thirty five people came out. An informal poll was taken at the end, all enjoyed it and want to make it a weekly event. You could either sit in your driveway, walk, or do both. It was opened up to all, without using, numbers or names. I wanted to keep it as simple and enjoyable as possible. Hopefully we’ll get more people next week, try it, you’ll like it.
Closed Thread

Tags
neighbors, week, walk, living, neighborhood

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.