Neighborhood vs Sport Pools?

Closed Thread
Old 11-14-2021, 08:05 AM
Talking Neighborhood vs Sport Pools?

Hi,
I am fairly new here and want to start using the pool for light exercise. I am reading a few posts that mention swimming or exercising is not encouraged at the neighborhood pools only at the sport pools, could this be correct? I am not a "swimmer" who needs lanes or anything formal, so I am confused if I can use my neighborhood pool without unwelcome stares??

If true, this would be the oddest thing I have encountered, a pool that is not meant for swimming..
Old 11-14-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea3051 View Post
Hi,
I am fairly new here and want to start using the pool for light exercise. I am reading a few posts that mention swimming or exercising is not encouraged at the neighborhood pools only at the sport pools, could this be correct? I am not a "swimmer" who needs lanes or anything formal, so I am confused if I can use my neighborhood pool without unwelcome stares??

If true, this would be the oddest thing I have encountered, a pool that is not meant for swimming..
I do my version of an hour of water aerobics every morning in my neighborhood family pool-now that its a little cooler, I am often the only one in the pool. Occasionally other like minded exercisers are doing their own thing. The friendly rec center attendant will occasionally come out to chat. On warmer days, the sun worshippers come later, towards noon, to lay out. Its absolutely fine to exercise; you may not be comfortable if the pool was full of people just relaxing, but I haven't ever seen that in my neighborhood. Come and enjoy! With a hundred pools to choose from, you will find your favorite.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,295 Posts

Quote:
Hi,

Most of the neighborhood pools are not designed for lap swimming.

But no one says you can't try. Just don't be upset when the "loungers" are in your way...

If you want to do stationary exercises or even some with movement across the pool, no one will care...

-Tom Petty
Old 11-14-2021, 12:31 PM

Typically many folks exercise by walking back and forth in the neighborhood and Family pools in the mornings. In the afternoon it might be more difficult because more people are lounging around and floating around in these pools.

I personally have not seen too many people swimming laps in these pools because of the length. But it is possible.
Old 11-14-2021, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Hi,

The neighborhood pools are not for swimming whether "formal" or not "formal". The sports pools are for swimming laps. The neighborhood pools are more for relaxing. Many people bring noodles to hang on to so they can just float around and take in the sun and socialize while floating around.

There will be some people that walk in the neighborhood pools but I don't think that activity is really meant for neighborhood pools either. The sports pools are for walking besides swimming laps. Most times, "combo swim" in the sports pools has the pools set up so half is used for laps and the other half for walkers with no lanes in.
Old 11-14-2021, 03:43 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default All pools are for swimming, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
The neighborhood pools are not for swimming whether "formal" or not "formal". The sports pools are for swimming laps. The neighborhood pools are more for relaxing. Many people bring noodles to hang on to so they can just float around and take in the sun and socialize while floating around.

There will be some people that walk in the neighborhood pools but I don't think that activity is really meant for neighborhood pools either. The sports pools are for walking besides swimming laps. Most times, "combo swim" in the sports pools has the pools set up so half is used for laps and the other half for walkers with no lanes in.
when too crowded you won't be a priority...that's what the sport pools are for...and yet if you go early/late you'll likely find 0 to very few folks using the pool and swimming will likely be okay.

Anyone who says swimming isn't allowed in rec/neighborhood pools most likely doesn't know the only music allowed per the rules is in the rec center pools is supplied by the villages radio station. No music allowed in the adult pools. If you do and someone asks you to turn it off and you do not don't be surprised when you get a visit from the VCDD rep. You don't have the right to make others listen your choice of music.
Old 11-14-2021, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
when too crowded you won't be a priority...that's what the sport pools are for...and yet if you go early/late you'll likely find 0 to very few folks using the pool and swimming will likely be okay.

Anyone who says swimming isn't allowed in rec/neighborhood pools most likely doesn't know the only music allowed per the rules is in the rec center pools is supplied by the villages radio station. No music allowed in the adult pools. If you do and someone asks you to turn it off and you do not don't be surprised when you get a visit from the VCDD rep. You don't have the right to make others listen your choice of music.
Agree about no music in the neighborhood pools. Actually, it is just common courtesy to listen to your own personal music through head phones or ear buds.

It is also common courtesy to not carry on a conversation with someone in the pool while you are in a lounge chair. Shouting happens and that is not nice to subject those who wish to relax at the pool. I speak from experience so I'm not making this up.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
I am reading a few posts that mention swimming or exercising is not encouraged at the neighborhood pools only at the sport pools, could this be correct?
Yes, that is correct.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Yes, that is correct.
I think that people that dont feel swimming pools are not meant for swimming are way off base.. In many pools people huddle in circles for hours which i personally think is a misuse of swimming pools. Ive witnessed groups of people that move nothing but there fingers in a huge circle while doing nothing more than gossip about every thing under the sun. Sorry but some have turned swimming pools into there own personal sauna. Ive seen groups stand in one place for hours noting that none have even taken a restroom break. Pools are meant for cooling off from the sun, and swimming in a pool should be a more natural instinct more than just washing.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shbullet View Post
I think that people that dont feel swimming pools are not meant for swimming are way off base.
There are too many negatives in that sentence for us to understand what your point is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shbullet View Post
Ive seen groups stand in one place for hours noting that none have even taken a restroom break.
I guess your idea of a fun day is to sit and watch people standing in the pool. To each his own, I guess.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:41 PM

I always wondered why the pools don't have showers outside to wash off before and after. Human soup I call it. I would think you can swim in the community pools only if you aren't near other people who really don't care if they bump into you.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:54 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisport View Post
I always wondered why the pools don't have showers outside to wash off before and after. Human soup I call it. I would think you can swim in the community pools only if you aren't near other people who really don't care if they bump into you.
There are showers to rinse off under(not private ) but it is the nasal passage clearing in the pool that is disgusting. Also ear plugs are a necessity and not to keep water out of the ears
Old 11-15-2021, 06:24 AM

Oh, don't you know? It is perfectly ok for a group of "waljers" to walk abreast from side to side but if a person wants to "swim" a few laps these same people get upset. I understand if the pool is crowded that you shouldn't be swimming laps in a neighborhood pool but, when there are just a few walkers, a swimmer should have the same rights.
Old 11-15-2021, 06:59 AM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Most of the neighborhood pools are not designed for lap swimming.

But no one says you can't try. Just don't be upset when the "loungers" are in your way...

If you want to do stationary exercises or even some with movement across the pool, no one will care...
I've seen people swimming not just laps from one end to the other, but in different directions to get their exercise in.
I think if you go early (8am ish) the pools are pretty empty.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,604 Times in 942 Posts

If the neighborhood pool is packed with people and you are trying to swim laps, I would suggest not doing laps.
If it’s you and another person - I would think you could swim laps.

I know, the neighborhood pools aren’t made for swimming laps - but they are a rectangle - you can swim from one end to the other. I don’t think Michael Phelps lives in TV.
Same with exercise - I see a lot of folks walking, jogging, jumping - my opinion, it’s better that they are moving in the water vs sitting at home on their IPad.
Closed Thread

Tags
neighborhood, pool, pools, swimming, sport

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.