Never, Never, Never say YES

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2023, 02:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
Regardless the point here is to never respond to scammers. At the very least you are validating that it is a valid phone number which makes it more valuable on the dark web. We never answer the phone if we to not recognize the number and we rarely receive these types of calls.
I am aware who to answer my phone too, and receive very few scam calls, but I still cannot get an answer to the 'YES' question.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:19 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I am aware who to answer my phone too, and receive very few scam calls, but I still cannot get an answer to the 'YES' question.
Once you answer yes they have a digital sampling of your voice. Most people will automatically answer this innocuous question when they would be more hesitant to answer something else. The recording starts after you answer the phone so the hello doesn’t count. It also verifies that it is a valid number. They wouldn’t do it if it doesn’t work.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:36 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,639 Times in 443 Posts

Not answering unknown callers solves the problem - but I will occasionally pick up if I’m expecting a call (I have one doctor that always comes across as “unknown” on my caller ID).
Old 03-27-2023, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Once you answer yes they have a digital sampling of your voice. Most people will automatically answer this innocuous question when they would be more hesitant to answer something else. The recording starts after you answer the phone so the hello doesn’t count. It also verifies that it is a valid number. They wouldn’t do it if it doesn’t work.
The number is verified as valid when you pick up the phone or say hello, they don't need a "yes" for that.

Once they have a digital sampling of my voice, then what? I'm not asking for speculation, I'm asking for examples where the recording of a voice saying "yes" has been the final piece of information needed to cause someone financial harm. In what state and in which year did it happen? What was actually done (open an account, empty an account, etc)?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-27-2023, 08:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Sorry.
Still cannot see how my voice recording can be used to get at my money, if none of the financial institutions I bank with, do not use voice recognition.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,710 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Sorry.
Still cannot see how my voice recording can be used to get at my money, if none of the financial institutions I bank with, do not use voice recognition.
It could be one of those old wives tales.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:15 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
The number is verified as valid when you pick up the phone or say hello, they don't need a "yes" for that.

Once they have a digital sampling of my voice, then what? I'm not asking for speculation, I'm asking for examples where the recording of a voice saying "yes" has been the final piece of information needed to cause someone financial harm. In what state and in which year did it happen? What was actually done (open an account, empty an account, etc)?
Why would they do it if it doesn’t work? Why would it be written up by law enforcement and government agencies? If you don’t want to believe it don’t.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It could be one of those old wives tales.
It possibly could. But why would state web sites warn of it?
Thanks for replying any way..
I will in future refuse to say yes to any caller, specially to the grand kids.
That will definitely save us a lot of money!
Old 03-27-2023, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Why would they do it if it doesn’t work? Why would it be written up by law enforcement and government agencies? If you don’t want to believe it don’t.
Both Wikipedia and Snopes have entries about this SCAM. Neither could find any cases where anyone has lost money to this "SCAM."

To your direct question, the Snopes entry includes:
It's not uncommon for police departments to spread dubious crime warnings on a "better safe than sorry" basis, such as one about a $100 bill carjacking ploy.
It's not a case of whether I believe it or not or whether warnings are issued, I'm simply looking for any reference to a case where someone lost money due to saying "yes" on the phone.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-27-2023, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,710 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Government agencies do a lot of things to justify their existence. One example is the "do not call" list. A total waste of time and money.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Not answering unknown callers solves the problem - but I will occasionally pick up if I’m expecting a call (I have one doctor that always comes across as “unknown” on my caller ID).
I just wait until they leave a message and then call them back...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-27-2023, 09:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Sorry.
Agreed. None of my banks and/or credit cards have a recording of my voice to compare with...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-27-2023, 09:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
It possibly could. But why would state web sites warn of it?
Thanks for replying any way..
I will in future refuse to say yes to any caller, specially to the grand kids.
That will definitely save us a lot of money!
Just because it's on a website, doesn't mean a stupid person didn't put it there...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
asked, hear, replied, phone, speaker

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.