New Car Dealership - Ripoff

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2021, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinricci View Post
Beware Jenkins Honda
On April 24th I sold them my Honda Van and they assured me that after paying off my loan balance I would receive a check in about 5-7 business days. A week went by and I decided to check with Honda Finance. They did not receive payment. When I went back to Jenkins to ask why they hadn't sent payment, they couldn't find any paperwork showing they had purchased my vehicle even though my van was posted for sale on their website. They made me fill out everything all over again. By this time my payment to the finance company was past due. Another week passed and still no money from Jenkins. Their Manager told me that they were waiting for the title and release of lien. Furious, I complained to Honda Corporate Headquarters. After calling Jenkins they discovered that the dealer not only had the title in hand but had sold my van without paying me. Finally, on May 17, almost a month after my first visit and numerous phone calls between Honda Corporate, American Honda Finance and the Better Business Bureau I was paid. If you're thinking of buying a Honda I strongly suggest not using Jenkins.
It is not just cars. It is virtually everything.

Case in point: I’ve been looking for an Epson 8550 Ecotank printer, MSRP $650.00. OfficeMax here carries the Ecotank series but don’t have any 8550’s in stock and according to the sales guy they’re as scarce as hen’s teeth. Amazon carries them…at $900 a pop and even they have a limited supply. As another poster indicated, it is “charge what the market will bear”.

I have my own ideas as to why this is happening but the simple fact of the matter is that if merchants can’t get stuff, they can’t sell that stuff, and the merchants who DO have the stuff charge more for it because they know they will get it—sometime, from someone. It sucks but that is how things work.

The merchants who gouge though often get their comeuppance. I recall the day after 9/11, a gas station rocketed their price for gasoline from something like $1.25 a gallon to an even $4.00 per gallon. With ersatz piety they claimed that they did that so that they could slow demand for gasoline and give everyone a shot at buying some, given that they thought that the terrorist attacks were going to interrupt our oil supply and thus cause a gasoline shortage. Nobody bought it—not their gas nor their Bee Ess. The guy ended up going out of business about a year later. People remembered.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfla06 View Post
We went to look at a Honda back in the 1980’s.
We asked what the additional $3,500 on sticker was and they told us due
to the demand.

We walked out of that dealership & never went to Honda again!!
EXACTLY how you handle that. When the times are tough for them and they are more desperate for business, remember which dealerships were willing to put on car-stickers what scammers they are and treat them thusly.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,902 Times in 914 Posts

WTF people? you love low prices from imported manufactured goods, you have foreign made products all over your house and in your garage. The decline in product prices vs labor prices over the last 30 years means you could buy more and more each year for your money. All due to capitalism competing for your dollar by finding the cheapest production for your dollar.

Now there is a hiccup in the economy, or China to whom the corporate executives sold their future, is now flexing their global mfg control, and you all complain? you enjoyed the relationship, have a much better life style for the capitalistic model, and now you want to complain because its has changed?

It sucks but nothing stays the same in this world, adapt but don't complain, it doesn't get you anywhere. Just adapt and spend the extra effort to do what you have to do to enjoy the last years of life
Old 10-22-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penglobal View Post
While servicing my new Honda this past weekend (free warranty work) at the Honda dealership in Leesburg off US441, I looked around the dealership at the new Hondas. All the new cars on sale had an amended priced list which covered the usually high profit mark-up items such as wheel locks for $250 and floor mats for $400. I was amazed that every new car at this dealership also had a mark-up of $10,000 which was listed as a market adjustment charge and a new car salesman also informed me that their new vehicles were being sold at straight MSRP PLUS $10,000. Yes, they where charging an extra $10,000 more for the same vehicle that last year was sold for about 5% under MSRP. So a basic new Honda with a MSRP of about $26,000 was being sold for over $40,000, including all mark-ups, taxes and fees. My new Honda was purchased at another dealership in Orlando just seven months ago and it was purchased for under MSRP and without this $10,000 ripoff charge.

Why would anyone pay these exorbitant new car prices ???
Is this not price gauging???
Understanding that there is a new car shortage, but this dealership takes the cake for the biggest new car ripoff dealership anywhere in the area. I hope when things get back to normal, all us Villagers remember these companies that ripped us all off during this pandemic and not solicit their business in the future. Yes, the dealership starts with "J"!
It is called supply and demand. Very few cars for the number of buyers who "need" to purchase a vehicle now. Also, consider the dealership. It needs to keep its doors open so it can supply the vehicles to buyers. Their volume is significantly reduced because there is limited inventory. The cost to operate is the same however, thus increase in pricing is required to pay operating costs. You can't assume it is increasing its profit. You should consider yourself lucky that you bought when there was greater inventory, rather than assuming the dealer is taking advantage of the situation. I by the way do not know the dealer, nor have any financial interest in the dealer.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:44 AM

The new car dealerships in Florida are ripping people off. My wife just purchased a new Subaru Forester Limited edition and saved $500.00 off sticker price. Best yet, her Subaru lease car which she just turned in had EQUITY because the value was up because of the chip shortage. The dealership purchased our buy back rights as a trade in and we had over $4000 with the trade in tax savings and the equity to put towards purchasing a new car. Bottom line is all of the used car values are up, so this is a good time to turn in your lease car and save thousands on a new car purchase.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
While servicing my new Honda this past weekend (free warranty work) at the Honda dealership in Leesburg off US441, I looked around the dealership at the new Hondas. All the new cars on sale had an amended priced list which covered the usually high profit mark-up items such as wheel locks for $250 and floor mats for $400. I was amazed that every new car at this dealership also had a mark-up of $10,000 which was listed as a market adjustment charge and a new car salesman also informed me that their new vehicles were being sold at straight MSRP PLUS $10,000. Yes, they where charging an extra $10,000 more for the same vehicle that last year was sold for about 5% under MSRP. So a basic new Honda with a MSRP of about $26,000 was being sold for over $40,000, including all mark-ups, taxes and fees. My new Honda was purchased at another dealership in Orlando just seven months ago and it was purchased for under MSRP and without this $10,000 ripoff charge.

Understanding that there is a new car shortage, but this dealership takes the cake for the biggest new car ripoff dealership anywhere in the area. I hope when things get back to normal, all us Villagers remember these companies that ripped us all off during this pandemic and not solicit their business in the future. Yes, the dealership starts with "J"!

Two years ago, we wanted to buy a new car for my wife. The model we were looking for had an additional dealer markup of around $3,000 at the dealers here. We bought the car in a north-border state for below list. I won't even bother shopping a Florida dealer anymore.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:53 AM
Veteran member

Before moving here in July, we wanted to downsize to 1 new car and 1 new golf cart. We lived in Georgia before hear and I had my dealer give me a quote for our 2 trade ins and the new Nissan. I also asked another Nissan dealer near me and the quote was very close. I called Leesburg Nissan and they gave me a quote on the 2 trade ins for $15,000 less than the other dealers. So no only did my dealer in Georgia give me $15k more for my trade ins,I also got $7k off the price of the new 2021 car which also comes with a lifetime drivetrain warranty. I have purchased 7 new Nissans from them during he last 10 years and I will be buying any new Nissan from them in the future.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:

I'm not defending the practice BUT, it is a matter of competition and supply and demand. This has always been true everywhere. They are selling more cars than they can get. They have overhead-fixed costs. They can lower fixed cost by laying off people. It is a hard choice to make.

As a buyer we must chose to perhaps buy a different car or if you have a car keep it.
We all know that gasoline prices are way up. I do not drive much, way less than I used to. If, I needed a car, I've not looked but I expect you can get a great deal on a new or used car that gets poor gas mileage. We go through this every time gasoline goes nuts.

Our local Chevy dealer is running radio ads that they will not sell over MSRP. My last two cars are Chevy, I've owned popular foreign cars and I am a happy Chevy customer.

We have choices.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalina36 View Post
The new car dealerships in Florida are ripping people off. My wife just purchased a new Subaru Forester Limited edition and saved $500.00 off sticker price. Best yet, her Subaru lease car which she just turned in had EQUITY because the value was up because of the chip shortage. The dealership purchased our buy back rights as a trade in and we had over $4000 with the trade in tax savings and the equity to put towards purchasing a new car. Bottom line is all of the used car values are up, so this is a good time to turn in your lease car and save thousands on a new car purchase.
The chip shortage, is interesting. Modern manufacturing is just in time. You do not hold much inventory on hand. The chips are proprietary, they must pass the EPA so they cannot substitute another chip. Imagine you can't build a car because you can get a part worth at most a couple of bucks.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:30 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Does the salesman have a gun to your head saying that there will be one of two things on the sales contract, your signature or your brains?
Old 10-22-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgg7933 View Post
I have been dealing with Jenkins Honda for over 5 years and prior to that Jenkins Hyundai of Leesburg regarding their service and have purchased my last 2 cars from there. They are TOP NOTCH! Right now, it doesn't matter where you go, most all dealerships have an "ADM" (Additional dealer Markup) on new cars as they had 5 years ago as well. The difference is when I bought my HRV 5 years ago when the salesman walked over and introduced himself, I put my hand up to the window sticker and covered the ADM sticker and advised them "I would not pay them a dime toward that" so if he wanted to continue to try to sell us a vehicle that would be the only conditions acceptable AND I was not paying MSRP. It was the end of the month and he agreed to those terms. We shopped on and we bought a car that day. TIMES AND CONDITIONS HAVE CHANGED! It's purely supply and demand and all the dealerships are in on the game. It's a BAD time to buy a new car. Usually you can walk in and say "I want to buy, You want to sell" so let's deal. That is not the case right now. It's a good time to stick with what you have and re-visit new cars when things cool off a bit. But that is just my opinion.
a lot of dealerships are adding their own big profits on top of the price, but a lot are not. I think the point is - LOOK AROUND!! for a 90 mile drive to Clearwater, I saved $17K compared to Jenkins. it wasn't hard to make a few calls, drop a few emails to find out who is charging what
Old 10-22-2021, 08:36 AM

Might be cheaper to rent a car or buy a used car from a rental car company.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I'm no fan of car dealerships. I have to dig pretty deep into my layers of empathy to find a morsel of it to spend on them. However, I did come up with one idea.
If you have a. shiny new car showroom to pay for, and a staff of salespeople to feed, and all of the other items of overhead that come with running a business, and you have a scarcity of product to sell, then it stands to reason that you have to make more on each item you sell. Hence, a justification for the large mark-up.
Now, is that the case? I have no idea. The industry doesn't have a long history of giving a deuce for anything but skullduggery, and maximizing profits in the moment.
I doubt it's much different anywhere, but after 45 years of buying cars, I bought my first Honda 4 years ago, and I was not impressed with the way they handled the new car purchase experience, and I am very unimpressed with the way they've handled quality issues with the car itself. Not a fan of Honda. I'll never buy another one. We bought this one because DW loved it. In the future, if she loves a Honda, it will be a lease deal. They can continue to own their mistakes, instead of me.
That "J" dealership charged us $699 document fees on our car when we leased it AND THEN AGAIN when we bought out the lease!!!! There are NO DOCUMENTS that should cost $699 in his day and age of computerized forms! I could have typed the whole of those "documents" for free! I was furious, and let them now it. We loved the car - and still have it - but will not deal with those dealerships again.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:54 AM

Someone posted a car sticker for a Honda Civic on Reddit the other day. The regular price was $45000 but had a mark up to $85000!!! Unsure where the.was. EDIT: IT was Hayward Honda, Hayward CA.

Last edited by Gigi3000; 10-22-2021 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

You know this the 2nd time I heard how unhappy someone was with this dealership. I don’t understand why so many people think foreign cars are so much better than American made cars. Even I do my homework about a dealership. I even retired from an American auto maker after 38 yrs. All cars American & Foreign are good cars but don’t buy from a certain auto maker just because Joe the next door neighbor says they’re great because he likes them, do your homework, call the BBB, they’ll tell you if they’re a good dealership. Cars are a big investment!
Closed Thread

Tags
dealership, car, $10, 000, msrp, honda

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.