New Friends on TOTV!

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2014, 10:34 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

We have been fortunate to meet many TOTVers over the last five years, mostly at Crispers functions in Feb or Mar., and have socialized with several otherwise. I won't mentions names so not to embarrass them by association

Last edited by eweissenbach; 07-07-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:55 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Tough task to recall them all. I have met Gracie, Redwitch, Another Linda, GLGene and Kathy, Kathie1, Blondie, tkreat, Bonny, Barefoot, and lots more that will come to mind after I post this. And to a person it was a great experience meeting them. I feel blessed to know them.

And there are so many others I would like to meet because I find their posts so full of interest and insight. Billy the Kid, KittyGilchrist, Chachacha, memason, and so many more that it would take me all day to remember and list them. When you read a lot of posts by someone you almost feel like you know.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Sage

Okay...this seems like the right thread to ask about something. My wife and I have been in TV for a fairly short time. And what little time we've been here, I've spent a good portion of it recovering from knee replacement surgery. (Went well and recovery is going nicely, thank you very much! )

Anyway...my wife and I are both by nature rather reclusive. (The word 'shy' probably even applies...heheh.) So while we're staying busy, making personal friends to socialize with does not come easily for us. Don't get me wrong. We're doing fine and we both have activities...dance troupe and golf (beginner) for my wife, softball, bowling, golf for me (with a hiatus due to surgery of course). We take some line-dancing classes and frequent the squares pretty regularly. We have some casual friends as a result. We're staying pretty busy and enjoying life in TV. So what's my question? Well...

Most of our close friendships from our pre-retirement life came from work. Retirement is...obviously...heheheh... a whole new world! Do you have any advice for TV newcomers who aren't as naturally adept at developing social friendships as most of you appear to be in this thread? Sounds like it comes very easily to most of you folks! I'm not even sure of specifics I'm asking about...activities, clubs, groups, whatever. I'm just soliciting advice from the experts!!

Last edited by Polar Bear; 07-09-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:23 PM

I've discovered that I'm making friends here by just doing the activities I enjoy. One person leads to another leads to another. It really is a village in the best sense of the word. I love it here (full-time 2 years, hard to believe because the time flies by!)
Old 07-09-2014, 08:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Okay...this seems like the right thread to ask about something. My wife and I have been in TV for a fairly short time. And what little time we've been here, I've spent a good portion of it recovering from knee replacement surgery. (Went well and recovery is going nicely, thank you very much! )

Anyway...my wife and I are both by nature rather reclusive. (The word 'shy' probably even applies...heheh.) So while we're staying busy, making personal friends to socialize with does not come easily for us. Don't get me wrong. We're doing fine and we both have activities...dance troupe and golf (beginner) for my wife, softball, bowling, golf for me (with a hiatus due to surgery of course). We take some line-dancing classes and frequent the squares pretty regularly. We have some casual friends as a result. We're staying pretty busy and enjoying life in TV. So what's my question? Well...

Most of our close friendships from our pre-retirement life came from work. Retirement is...obviously...heheheh... a whole new world! Do you have any advice for TV newcomers who aren't as naturally adept at developing social friendships as most of you appear to be in this thread. Sounds like it comes very easily to most of you folks! I'm not even sure of specifics I'm asking about...activities, clubs, groups, whatever. I'm just soliciting advice from the experts!!
My mom always said, to have a friend you have to be a friend. Saying that, Polar Bear, I will also say that people who I consider close friends in my life can be counted on one hand. But the people here I've met and consider friends and do social things with are people on my cul-de-sac, people I've met at the pool, people we bowl with and play shuffleboard with and people we played golf with and just took an instant liking to.

Our neighbors just took us under their wings and have loved us and adopted us as their own family. We made a point of introducing ourselves and going to their driveways when we saw them outside. We asked them for advise and they gladly gave it and we let them know we appreciated it and if their suggestions for various things worked or didn't work. We asked about their families and spouses and made a point of smiling and waving when we'd see them out.

At the pool, we would see people night after night and eventually we went out to eat and went see each other's houses and invited each other over to learn new card games or board games or just to watch a movie and before you knew it, we were going to funerals and kissing each other goodbye when people have moved away. This just in five years of owning here and three years of living here full-time. You have to hold your breath and close your eyes and take a chance. Life is short.

Ask people to teach you to play Mexican Train, Hand and Foot or join a shuffleboard team. Smile and ask people about restaurants and movies and then ask them to join you for a meal. I wish you the best. But it sounds like you are doing great and meeting people. Just take it another step and have them over for dessert or something.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:18 PM
Sage

Quote:

Most of our close friendships from our pre-retirement life came from work. Retirement is...obviously...heheheh... a whole new world! Do you have any advice for TV newcomers who aren't as naturally adept at developing social friendships as most of you appear to be in this thread. Sounds like it comes very easily to most of you folks! I'm not even sure of specifics I'm asking about...activities, clubs, groups, whatever. I'm just soliciting advice from the experts!!
Just talk to anyone, and everyone. We don't bite.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-09-2014, 09:58 PM
Gold member

Quote:

I am shy too! But I have met the most wonderful people here thru TOTV! I truly believe that everything we experienced in our past brought us all here! Destiny! You may even know my wonderful brother and sister- in- laws because they Line dance every night ! I met a woman who lost her husband through
Her postings on TOTV, we are like sisters now ! Pm me. I would be glad to meet you!
Old 07-09-2014, 10:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
My mom always said, to have a friend you have to be a friend. Saying that, Polar Bear, I will also say that people who I consider close friends in my life can be counted on one hand. But the people here I've met and consider friends and do social things with are people on my cul-de-sac, people I've met at the pool, people we bowl with and play shuffleboard with and people we played golf with and just took an instant liking to.

Our neighbors just took us under their wings and have loved us and adopted us as their own family. We made a point of introducing ourselves and going to their driveways when we saw them outside. We asked them for advise and they gladly gave it and we let them know we appreciated it and if their suggestions for various things worked or didn't work. We asked about their families and spouses and made a point of smiling and waving when we'd see them out.

At the pool, we would see people night after night and eventually we went out to eat and went see each other's houses and invited each other over to learn new card games or board games or just to watch a movie and before you knew it, we were going to funerals and kissing each other goodbye when people have moved away. This just in five years of owning here and three years of living here full-time. You have to hold your breath and close your eyes and take a chance. Life is short.

Ask people to teach you to play Mexican Train, Hand and Foot or join a shuffleboard team. Smile and ask people about restaurants and movies and then ask them to join you for a meal. I wish you the best. But it sounds like you are doing great and meeting people. Just take it another step and have them over for dessert or something.
Truer words were never spoken. Excellent post!
Old 07-09-2014, 10:33 PM

We will be frogs by the end of the month and are really excited to be back in TV. We came for or first trip in May. We met two people in person Kathie came to Brownswood the night before we had to leave. I also met Janice and Pete at Seabreeze for Bunco.

We haven't gotten there yet and already have some e-mails from some of our new neighbors in Lake Deaton welcoming us.

Our family thinks we are crazy since we don't have family in Fl. They are all in Ca. and all we keep saying is there is nothing like TV. and we want to be a part of it. Our house sold pretty fast and so did our boat, Sea doo, pontoon and trailer and lots of things in the 2 garage sales and as I am packing for the movers next week I am thinking I should have gotten rid of more stuff. When I am so tired and stress I bring up my pictures of TV and get excited all over again.

See you soon,

Kathy
Old 07-09-2014, 10:44 PM
Sage

uprivergirl, May your transition to froghood be smooth and happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uprivergirl View Post
We will be frogs by the end of the month and are really excited to be back in TV. We came for or first trip in May. We met two people in person Kathie came to Brownswood the night before we had to leave. I also met Janice and Pete at Seabreeze for Bunco.

We haven't gotten there yet and already have some e-mails from some of our new neighbors in Lake Deaton welcoming us.

Our family thinks we are crazy since we don't have family in Fl. They are all in Ca. and all we keep saying is there is nothing like TV. and we want to be a part of it. Our house sold pretty fast and so did our boat, Sea doo, pontoon and trailer and lots of things in the 2 garage sales and as I am packing for the movers next week I am thinking I should have gotten rid of more stuff. When I am so tired and stress I bring up my pictures of TV and get excited all over again.

See you soon,

Kathy
Old 07-10-2014, 12:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Okay...this seems like the right thread to ask about something. My wife and I have been in TV for a fairly short time. And what little time we've been here, I've spent a good portion of it recovering from knee replacement surgery.
I think that everyone feels somewhat shy. Friends made through softball, bowling and golf are a very good start. You and your wife have been in TV for a short time. Try hanging out at the neighborhood pool. That's a very good way to make new friends.

We bought in 2007 and have met many new friends over the years, but it's been gradual, you know? Most of our friends we met through TOTV, back in The Day. At that time the membership was only 2,000. And then we all banded together and had each other's backs. It was a fun time.
Two friends we've had for seven years are actually driving to Canada to visit us this summer, yay.

But it has taken years to deepen our friendships, and that is to be expected. And of course by now we have other Canadian friends that we met at the Loonie and Toonie monthly club for Canadians. We have a great time golfing with them.

With some new friends, the charisma is there and we click right away and before long we'll be making plans for something. One of my new friends is CFrance she's the cat's meow.

My husband belongs to a Remote Control Airplane Club. Every morning he goes off to the the flying field. He loves the companionship and shared interest. Our garage is full of planes, 13 at last count. But he is happy and that's what counts.

If I were new in TV and wanting to make new friends, I'd attend every neighborhood gathering ..... there are often neighborhood clubs, driveway parties, card games and usually a ladies group.

Some of my friendships have started or deepened over shared interests, especially my spiritual soul sisters.

Don't expect too much and don't sell yourselves short. Friendships will happen and deepen over the years. Give it some time, and soon you'll be saying "there is too much booked on my schedule this week".
Old 07-10-2014, 12:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Tough task to recall them all. I have met Gracie, Redwitch, Another Linda, GLGene and Kathy, Kathie1, Blondie, tkreat, Bonny, Barefoot, and lots more that will come to mind after I post this. And to a person it was a great experience meeting them. I feel blessed to know them.
And we all feel blessed to know you! You are one of the smartest guys I know.

You wrote a post this morning about the time you get up. And you talked about a project you'd completed. I copied the post you made about the garbage cans and emailed it to Fireboy along with pictures. The email I sent him was titled "your new project". So you're touching lives in ways you don't even realize!!
Old 07-10-2014, 04:51 AM

Finding people with similar interests is the key. TOTV is a safe place to feel others out in reference to groups and clubs in The Villages without going in unprepared.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:46 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
And we all feel blessed to know you! You are one of the smartest guys I know.

You wrote a post this morning about the time you get up. And you talked about a project you'd completed. I copied the post you made about the garbage cans and emailed it to Fireboy along with pictures. The email I sent him was titled "your new project". So you're touching lives in ways you don't even realize!!
LOL, thank you Bare. Hope you are having a great summer. My post made you happy because you got a new idea, but Fireboy, probably not so much. He got a new project. When your back for the winter, will show you the 800 bottle wine cellar I built, how I changed all the lights in the house at a very low cost, and what I did to customize a closet. Than he will really have some new projects. I have been the last 4 months completely redoing that house we bought just before you went North.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
LOL, thank you Bare. Hope you are having a great summer. My post made you happy because you got a new idea, but Fireboy, probably not so much. He got a new project. When your back for the winter, will show you the 800 bottle wine cellar I built, how I changed all the lights in the house at a very low cost, and what I did to customize a closet. Than he will really have some new projects. I have been the last 4 months completely redoing that house we bought just before you went North.

Come on Chris, some pictures, Please????

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.