New Home Construction

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2007, 09:58 AM
Default New Home Construction

We were visiting TV and looking at homes recently. I was wondering why they were still building loads of homes with vinyl siding and popcorn ceiling. Those ceilings went out of style in the 70's. All the other communities we looked at were CBS and had Textured Ceilings. Is the quality really that good or are they just trying to make a few dollars more and hope you don’t notice because you are caught up in a Disneyland frame of mind.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts
Default Re: New Home Construction

Several threads on here regarding The Villages and other communities and what you get for the money. If you want more house for the $$, there are several communities nearby.
If you want the golfcart lifestyle and the many many activities, you'll pay a premium at TV but get all that.

If you don't want the vinyl siding and popcorn ceilings, you can cerrtainly get that too.
Just depends on your price points and budget.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:30 PM
Sage

Actually most of the new construction is not CBS but the newer style of concrete with cement finish.

Isn't that correct?
Old 10-18-2007, 08:26 PM

My home just finished the end of August is concrete block and stucco with the popcorn ceilings. Hate the ceilings, but they came with the house.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Gold member

At the risk of sounding ignorant (iggorant?), what is a "popcorn ceiling"? Is this the typical ceiling in Villages homes? And if not, then what is? Thanks!
Old 10-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta0744
We were visiting TV and looking at homes recently. I was wondering why they were still building loads of homes with vinyl siding and popcorn ceiling. Those ceilings went out of style in the 70's. All the other communities we looked at were CBS and had Textured Ceilings. Is the quality really that good or are they just trying to make a few dollars more and hope you don’t notice because you are caught up in a Disneyland frame of mind.
As far as I know, there is a choice between vinyl and CBS in many of the home styles. In general, CBS costs more than vinyl on the same floorplan. Patio villas, ranches and some of the Courtyard villas and some Designers are vinyl. The Savannah villas, other designers and premiers are CBS.

As far as the ceilings go, never having had a house with popcorn ceilings before, I had no idea they went out with the 70's. I don't mind them at all, although the thought did cross my mind that if they need repair it could prove difficult to hide any work.

I don't know anyone who bought in TV without doing a reasonable amount of analysis. They are not buying a bobble-head Mickey to put on their shelf at home, so I think your insinuation that we (the folks who've already shelled out lots of money to own in TV) did so while we were in some euphoric "Disney state of mind" is inappropriate to say the least.

I bought into the lifestyle, and knew all along that I could get a house somewhere else for less (or somewhere else for more). Maybe I did pay some premium for getting a house in TV over another location in Central FL. I certainly could have bought something in the woods near Oklawaha for less. And on the beach in Naples? Probably would have cost a nickle or two more. But I did so happily, as I don't know of anywhere else like TV. Popcorn ceilings and vinyl siding aside, isn't real estate all about Location, Location, Location?

Maybe you'd be happier in another retirement community where you didn't feel like you are being ripped off?
Old 10-20-2007, 07:24 AM

Steve, its great that you were a good consumer, and well educated before your bought. But I've run into people who do get caught up by the sales pitch or "Disneyland frame of mind" as it were, and almost blindly make a purchase without thinking about the consequences or other options available to them.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:40 PM

POPCORN.. Cheaper and does not require any craftsmanship

Vinyl - Cheap and fast construction..BUT has r11 in the walls CBS = R5 insulation

Stoncrest and Del Webb Spruce creek have mostly CBS or Frame Stucco homes.. much nicer to the eye......... All Ceilings are finished too.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:00 PM

I loved my stucco courtyard villa and now I love my vinyl ranch home---I just plain LOVE The Villages no matter which kind of house I live in.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:40 PM

Donna Lee Amen ! :hot: :hot:
Old 10-20-2007, 09:02 PM

Donna

And you are one of the reasons TV is able to build these inexpensive homes with popcorn ceilings. Remember you are caught up in the(Disneyland frame of mind)
Old 10-21-2007, 05:35 AM

(Disneyland frame of mind)
No Disney World frame of mind. I don't really think much of Disneyland. I love it!!!!!!!!
Old 10-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Gold member

I love my new vinyl home.
I will admit I would have prefered CSB but I could not find the house I wanted in CSB in my price range. So, I compromised and now I have a home that is similar to the old florida cottage style. Perfect!! :#1:
Old 10-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Veteran member

Steve,
You said it very well. Yes, you CAN live in a retirement community for less, but what have you got? A nice house on ONE golf course and ONE resturant with minimal animities.

When me move to TV ( and we are as soon as this house sells), I don't plan on being home that much anyway--way too much to see and do!

Popcorn ceillings can be removed if its that much of a bother.

As for the Disneyland (World) concept--if this is how you see TV and think those who are there "bought" into it, maybe this isn't the place for some folks. Everyone I have met on this site seems very intellegent and researched their options well and make the Right choice FOR THEM. I feel I've worked hard and now is the time to play, so I'm with them (or soon will be)

I'll get off the soap box now.
Village of Hemmingway
Old 10-21-2007, 05:52 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy D

As for the Disneyland (World) concept--if this is how you see TV and think those who are there "bought" into it, maybe this isn't the place for some folks. Everyone I have met on this site seems very intellegent and researched their options well and make the Right choice FOR THEM. I feel I've worked hard and now is the time to play, so I'm with them (or soon will be)

I'll get off the soap box now.
It seems like some folks are just trolling out here, spoiling for a fight. I'm with you Peggy, the choice is personal, and I've made mine. If TV doesn't have the things you want, or it's priced wrong, or you resent the feeling that the place is like an adult Disneyworld, go someplace else!

:bigthumbsup:

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.