New Home Costs

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2015, 11:47 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGirl View Post
Justjim-250 for closet? What did you have done for 250?
I was told by Tim the Tool Man that he charged $ 10 a foot for wire shelving. Not too bad if you can't do it your self.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:48 AM
Veteran member

You will love living in Labelle, minutes from Colonly shopping, ten minutes LSL and only a little further to Brownwood. A new home has many upgraded code features not found in older homes. You get to decorate it the way you like it. Do a little at a time and love every minute. The homes are beautiful inside from day one. The only necessity is a washer and dryer. All appliances and the home is under warranty.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimandMe View Post
You will love living in Labelle, minutes from Colonly shopping, ten minutes LSL and only a little further to Brownwood. A new home has many upgraded code features not found in older homes. You get to decorate it the way you like it. Do a little at a time and love every minute. The homes are beautiful inside from day one. The only necessity is a washer and dryer. All appliances and the home is under warranty.
and, in my experience with 2 houses here, the Developer is faithful to his warranty obligations-- with a smile
Old 05-25-2015, 12:14 PM
Sage

Also, the builders fans are really worthless-changed them all, not enough pitch to really move air--a remote control fan in the master is a real +
Old 05-25-2015, 12:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Yep, in my opinion, a resale is the way to go. Do not forget besides seeing the finished product, you can negotiate price with a resale AND the bond will be less than on a new house.
I can understand that resales are not as emotionally satisfying to some people.
However, with a resale, you can enjoy a convenient mid-Villages location.
And if you want a golf course view, resales are much less expensive than buying a new view lot.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Also, the builders fans are really worthless-changed them all, not enough pitch to really move air--a remote control fan in the master is a real +
Mine move air.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Mine move air.
Our 4 fans that came with the home work as good as any Hunter Fan or Cassablanca Fan that we've owned up north. Hopefully the other poster knew there is three speeds controlled by pulling the chain downward. I know when I workout at home and I have the fan on high it rattles the shades pretty good.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:29 PM

For all of you that bought in Labelle, we need to get together. We too just bought in Labelle. We love our house and love being in TV. Just not quite here full time yet. But we are back and forth as we are close and have not sold our house in MS yet.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
it was another consideration when I chose to buy a resale. the new homes of the type I was interested in did not have blinds, ceiling fans, washer and dryer....I got all those with my resale plus a painted garage floor, upgraded stove, and a french door lower freezer drawer refrigerator
I have been hearing and have read that fans and blinds are frequently not included. Our designer bought in 2011 had them, but not washer and dryer.

We have six fans. A lot of windows. That's a real convenience to have. I would rather have the fans and blinds than the washer and dryer, as those appliances are a rather personal choice.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
1800 sq foot designer - 1700 for window treatments, and 1500 for a washer dryer, Golf cart of course is a cost if you want one. Other than furniture and household stuff, that is all you NEED. The landscaping is there, you can add to it if you want. We were told by the builder and others that gutters were not only not needed, they were detrimental since the water bounces off the gutters up under the shingles, not good. With the sandy soil, and no basement - gutters are really not necessary.

To be honest, I was surprised how cheap it was (we bought all new furniture from Showcase also btw, very happy). The only surprise was the water bill that comes as part of the Amenity fee, we knew about it, but it can by 60 bucks a month or more. Everything else is not bad. I would recommend a new home actually.
I disagree about the gutters. The rain coming off of the roof was staining our driveway in a line all along the garage, and the rain coming off the back of the house was hitting the grass and bouncing into the lanai (yes!), making it impossible to sit on the lanai during summer rainstorms. We had gutters installed along the back of the house and the garage, and along the front little porch area where the door is. It made quite a difference.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:06 PM

We got powerful ceiling fans throughout in our new home in TV and some homes get blinds included as well. Rounded corners, roll-out shelving, built in cabinet garbage cans and even a built in laundry basket in the master bath, dimming switches and other upgrades were included.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
Or maybe he is a lifelong Florida resident and has been building houses for 30 years and knows something you don't. I have heard people on here talking about replacing roofs after 10 years, maybe that is part of the reason 😳. He seemed very sincere, and had no skin in the game. I have not seen any problems from not having gutters but we will see.
That's funny. Maybe Owens Corning is part of the reason, too!
Old 05-25-2015, 08:15 PM
Sage
Default New Home Costs

I've read a piece by a geologist (months ago) that suggests a lack of gutters all around a house, and the rain just pouring off the roof next to a foundation may become a precursor to sink holes. I added gutters all around to be safe.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:29 PM
Default Resale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I can understand that resales are not as emotionally satisfying to some people.
However, with a resale, you can enjoy a convenient mid-Villages location.
And if you want a golf course view, resales are much less expensive than buying a new view lot.

We bought a resale on a championship golf course, with water and pool that had only been lived in a few months per year. It was like new condition, however, after new landscaping, tile on the diagonal, all new paint, plantation shutters, new granite in kitchen and baths, upgraded all the lighting inside and out, new custom fans, screen garage door, and more, we have probably invested 30K. It is very convenient to the first two squares and about 15-20 minutes to Brownwood.

I am still way ahead of buying the same finished product further south of me.
And it is for sale!!
Old 05-25-2015, 08:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachx4me View Post
We bought a resale on a championship golf course, with water and pool that had only been lived in a few months per year. It was like new condition, however, after new landscaping, tile on the diagonal, all new paint, plantation shutters, new granite in kitchen and baths, upgraded all the lighting inside and out, new custom fans, screen garage door, and more, we have probably invested 30K. It is very convenient to the first two squares and about 15-20 minutes to Brownwood.

I am still way ahead of buying the same finished product further south of me.

And it is for sale!!

Why is it for sale?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.