New Home Costs

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2015, 07:45 PM

We got a great deal in Labelle that easily offset the additions. ..and are delighted with the updated baths, kitchen, among other things. We bought all our 2 1/2" blinds for $1200 online...best quality. Ours came with under counter lights, roll out shelves, nice flooring. We put in attic stIrs and the attic already had plywood flooring. We're very happy with a new home.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
I agree about the resale, just make sure you can purchase sinkhole insurance. It has been mentioned on other threads that it's not always available on resales.
That is true.

Remember that there is a huge difference between a sinkhole and a catastrophic ground collapse. The catastrophic ground collapse is covered in all policies - the sinkhole is a very gradual sinking of the ground over a period of time.

Check with an insurance company for all their conditions of both.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:40 PM

Hills Gutters very pleased with service and price
Old 05-10-2015, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
1800 sq foot designer - 1700 for window treatments, and 1500 for a washer dryer, Golf cart of course is a cost if you want one. Other than furniture and household stuff, that is all you NEED. The landscaping is there, you can add to it if you want. We were told by the builder and others that gutters were not only not needed, they were detrimental since the water bounces off the gutters up under the shingles, not good. With the sandy soil, and no basement - gutters are really not necessary.

To be honest, I was surprised how cheap it was (we bought all new furniture from Showcase also btw, very happy). The only surprise was the water bill that comes as part of the Amenity fee, we knew about it, but it can by 60 bucks a month or more. Everything else is not bad. I would recommend a new home actually.
We have been here about 9 months, didn't have gutters. Rain rolled off the roof directly onto the compressor and on the other sides of the house was making trenches in the soil. Gutters were cheap.....we put them in. Had gutters in Pa, never had an issue with shingles even in the winter so not sure about that assessment but that may be how the shingles are installed here.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-10-2015, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfla06 View Post
In the Designers they come with fans, lights (Foyer, dining and kitchen),
And all appliances except washer/dryer.

We put in attic fan, attic stairs, water filter, window treatments,
Tiled lanai, kitchen undercounter lights, pullouts in kitchen and
Baths. Also had custom closet organizer for the master closet.
Also added security system and bought a new golf cart.

I can see where a resale might be easier.
But not as much fun

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

My suggestion is to wait a little while (except for mandatory things like privacy curtains and ceiling fans) before doing landscape, enclosing porches, etc. Live in the house. Figure out what you like and miss first. I changed my mind on window coverings twice in the first year. I think having a golf cart is important, but you can rent one for a month and then decide what to buy. If you have unlimited funds, then go for it.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:37 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Living in LaBelle and the bond on our,house is just under $20,000. Aluminum ladder was 250, blinds 1,000, gutters 500, closets 250. Not bad---we haven't done landscaping yet but don't plan on spending over 2,000.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:43 PM
Platinum member

The bond is high for a new house.
We ended up paying off the bond after a year.
Hope we don't end up regretting that!

We liked buying a new house and not having to "redo" things
we didn't like.

I think whether you buy a resale or new you will end up making
it a home and be very happy.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:46 PM
Platinum member

We have had our house for 2 yrs. and lived here for almost
A year.

Each year we'll do another item.

This year will be adding some shade trees and landscaping.

It is fun to see the house come together.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:06 PM
Gold member

Quote:
We were told by the builder and others that gutters were not only not needed, they were detrimental since the water bounces off the gutters up under the shingles, not good. With the sandy soil, and no basement - gutters are really not necessary.
They may not be necessary, but I never heard that before about water bouncing off the gutter and under the shingles. Sounds almost like he is not sure the roofers did a good job.Think many have found after moving in that depending on roof on some homes a gutter is needed under any roof that slants down toward the front entrance, unless you want to never enter or leave home via the front door during one of our summer showers with upwards of 3-4 inches of rain in a short amount of time. Most gutters are installed with downspouts that carry water away from house and the shrubs and plantings close to the house. The fact that builder did not provide them during construction is one thing but his reason sounds hard to believe.

Since you may be moving into one of the newer neighborhoods, you might want to travel around some areas in The Villages that are several years old and see if folks have gutters.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:15 PM

Surprised no one has mentioned all the monthly expense items such as:
Lawn care- cutting, fertilizer, weed control
Lanscape trimming, weeding
Pest prevention, including termite protection
These could add up to $100.00+\- per month
I'm sure there could be more... I'm sure you can do some yourself, but who has time for that!!!
Old 05-10-2015, 10:50 PM

Justjim-250 for closet? What did you have done for 250?
Old 05-14-2015, 11:14 PM

Am looking for the name of the village home builder or an assessment co to advice me the replacement value of my present home (built in 2004) for my home insurance.
Thanks
Old 05-25-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
BTW, don't forget there is a BOND on a new home, that is about $23000 or more, add that to the price they tell you and that is the ACTUAL price of a new house
Is there anyway to find out what the bond is/was on a particular home?
Old 05-25-2015, 11:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704 View Post
They may not be necessary, but I never heard that before about water bouncing off the gutter and under the shingles. Sounds almost like he is not sure the roofers did a good job.Think many have found after moving in that depending on roof on some homes a gutter is needed under any roof that slants down toward the front entrance, unless you want to never enter or leave home via the front door during one of our summer showers with upwards of 3-4 inches of rain in a short amount of time. Most gutters are installed with downspouts that carry water away from house and the shrubs and plantings close to the house. The fact that builder did not provide them during construction is one thing but his reason sounds hard to believe.

Since you may be moving into one of the newer neighborhoods, you might want to travel around some areas in The Villages that are several years old and see if folks have gutters.
Or maybe he is a lifelong Florida resident and has been building houses for 30 years and knows something you don't. I have heard people on here talking about replacing roofs after 10 years, maybe that is part of the reason 😳. He seemed very sincere, and had no skin in the game. I have not seen any problems from not having gutters but we will see.
Snow Flake until I retire
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.