New Home Discounted Prices

New Home Discounted Prices

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 03-10-2019, 02:33 PM

As already mentioned, new homes are only discounted based on inventory aging.

Old 03-10-2019, 02:39 PM

There are various reasons as many have pointed out. I have seen homes newly on the market advertised with a so-called discount. South of 44, some reps will tell you the properties are somewhat discounted due to ongoing construction, incomplete amenities, and still being disconnected by golf cart from the "mainland", so "get in now at a discount because the prices will go up once all that stuff is finished". But I've also seen homes sit for a while at one price and then get discounted. A home 2 doors down from me sat for a long time while all of the others around us were selling. They must have had 2 dozen open houses at that location. They discounted it, raised the price back up for a while, and then discounted it even further than the first time and then it finally sold.

But, OP, if your actual point is: "if they are willing to discount house X $15K, then why can't I make an offer on house Y for $15K less than asking?", that's not going to happen. They allow that once and it would open a whole can of worms they don't want opened.

It's not just homes next to non-villages property that get discounted. There are multiple scenarios. Once a village is almost sold out, you will sometimes see them discount the remaining homes, or most of them, to get that village closed out.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2019, 03:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Maybe over priced to begain with?, and they made enough profit to unload the rest, rather than set there and costing them money? Why else would the discount? retailer’s do it all the time to unload product the already made profit on and don’t want it to set on self.
No. No. No. Just what several people said. Read the posts above. Some items and lots are more to the liking of some and not others.. We chose a home right next to a rec center for our first home here in Hadley so we could go out the back door and swim. Some people wouldn't like the noise. The Villages is not having any problem selling their homes. This is the fastest growing area in the U.S. and the homes we all own are getting more and more valuable.

Those who have worked in sales of any kind understand marketing. I think every high school kid should have a summary course on economics and marketing. There is so much about both that are misunderstood.

I hear the word "Greed" overused.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-11-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:25 AM
Platinum member

Our home was "discounted" in 2008 when it wasn't even a home yet, just a piece of dirt. The large premium on the lot wasn't discounted, the stated price on the completed house was. We could either choose to take a cash discount or get a credit for $18,000 worth of furniture at Southern Lifestyles.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:12 AM
Gold member

Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Our home was "discounted" in 2008 when it wasn't even a home yet, just a piece of dirt. The large premium on the lot wasn't discounted, the stated price on the completed house was. We could either choose to take a cash discount or get a credit for $18,000 worth of furniture at Southern Lifestyles.
The "bubble" burst in 2008.
Marketing
Old 03-11-2019, 09:46 AM
Sage

Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Default Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsetc View Post
I think that "discounting" is built into the initial pricing structure. Since there is no real competitiveness in the TV new home market, I believe "discounting" is purely a marketing ploy to accommodate the consumes need to feel like they got a deal. I do not think this is deceptive, just a marketing stategy.

JMHO
Petsetc, I think you are spot on about The Developer’s marketing and it can be good for the buyers.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:49 AM
Sage

Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Default 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
The "bubble" burst in 2008.
Housing slowed but the “bubble” didn’t bust here in The Villages.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:48 AM
Gold member

Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Housing slowed but the “bubble” didn’t bust here in The Villages.
Correct, it only slowed down here but it did allow for better discounts than say 2006 and into 2007 when there were no discounts to be had for any reason. You even had to pay extra for a "peak a boo" golf front home at that time.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Petsetc, I think you are spot on about The Developer’s marketing and it can be good for the buyers.
Not totally sure about this. We bought our new discounted CYV for the same price as a new patio villa. So I don't think building in discounted CYV prices to sell at the normal price of patio villas would be something they'd do on a regular basis. Although there can be exceptions to every rule.

Tags
discounted, home, homes, price, villages