Recycling

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Veteran member
Default Recycling

I read in the paper this morning that TV is going to start recycling on March 3rd. I think this is a good idea but I want to know why they are limiting us to a 13 gal. bag. I think this bag is alittle too small to use for recycling once a week. This means that by the day recycling is done there could be 4 to 5 bags in front of each house. I don't think that is great. Why can't we use a larger bag?

I came from Boynton Beach and each house had a yellow and blue container for recycling. This way we did not have a large amount of trash in front of the house.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Default Re: Recycling

FL Gal: Maybe you can just take your 2nd or 3rd bag to your neighbors house, if they don't have any out? IMHO,most people won't have enough to fill a 13 gal. trash bag once/week. Not sure, but that's my guess. I'm glad to hear TV is starting to recycle. Those landfills have to be full by now.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:56 PM
Eternal Member

Did you notice that they are going to tack a $1.47 charge onto your garbage bill for the "privilege" of recycling PLUS you have to buy the bags!!

Since this is The Villages I would assume you will pay the $1.47 whether or not you recycle or whether or not you are even in town - think snowbirds.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Nice going people ,,,,,,,
You get what you ask for !!!!!!!!
I'm sure the driveways will be very lovely.......Maybe you can spray the bags with pretty colors.....That should help some..........
fumar the artist
Old 02-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Sage

In Cali we have a small blue plastic rolling can for garbage (can maybe fit 6 ea 13 gal bags)

a Medium size brown plastic rolling can for recycle paper, plastic, glass etc(maybe 12 ea 13 gal bags)

and a large green plastic rolling can for grass, landscape cuttings and Food Waste - we have to separate our food waste from the garbage and put it in with the grass and leaves etc.

They are all collected once a week by three separate trucks, all equiped with auto loading arms so the driver doesn't have to lift anything (and if it ain't in the can it doesn't get picked up. With just my wife and I we usually only half fill each in a week.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 02-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Gold member

Gee, as I read the list of all those things that can be put in the recycling bag and then read that we need to buy the bags and have a small fee added to our monthly bills from the VCCDD, I wondered why there is no mention of a reduction in the monthly trash pick- up charge. I mean, currently those charges included all of the things that will now be recycled and I assume wont wind up at the tipping station and wont be sent to county landfill.

I see that we can place newspapers, soda and beer cans in our 13 gallon bags. Amazing that there have always been some organizations that derived income from collecting these things and never charged the residents, and these items will now be picked up and one would assume produce income along with the recycling fee.

Should we also expect that the recycling monthly add-on fee will also be impacted by increases in the CPI?

Guess there is money to be made in recycling and enough to spread around. But not enough to return it to the folks who are willing to recycle.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.