New Home Noise problems

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2017, 05:07 PM

We had the same problem when we moved into our home in 2009. The noise was coming from the neighbors heat pump, was getting into the structure of the house and was loud enough in our bedroom that we could not sleep. We complained to warranty and the heat pump installer for the neighbors house came and put rubber bumpers under the compressor. That helped a lot. We also planted a row if bushes between the houses to act as a barrier. Not sure that the bushes helped. I think we also just got used to the noise. It does not bother us anymore. I checked into putting foam insulation in the interior walls and could not find anyone locally to do that.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:37 PM

Thanks. Yours sounds similar to mine. I think there is more metal in the houses today to resonate with compressors. FYI hearing that a thick rubber horse mat can be installed under the ac unit to tamper even better. Ear plugs can also help
Old 12-15-2017, 07:15 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
I have had something similar in a previous home with a Carrier Heatpump. It only occurred in heating mode with the compressor in low-speed (it had a two-speed compressor) and was best described as a "hum". The system had a fairly long lineset (about 75' IIRC) and I suspected the issue was that the lineset was effectively tuned to the frequency of the compressor. The Contractor had a similar theory and increased the lineset by a few feet (brazed a short piece to the liquid line) and it markedly reduced but did not totally eliminate the problem. The neighbors house was not part of the problem.
I suspect your theory is correct. I'm hearing the same type of low constant hum at nite in the bedroom. It only started when the heat came on this past week.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:08 AM

Interesting; how old is your home? There are things that can be done to minimize the vibration sources but I'm trying to get the house fixed also. Appears some construction mistakes occurred with our house.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageBud View Post
Interesting; how old is your home? There are things that can be done to minimize the vibration sources but I'm trying to get the house fixed also. Appears some construction mistakes occurred with our house.
Is your house under warranty? What construction mistakes do you think have occurred other than your theory of metal humming? I would be very surprised if warranty wasn't helpful.

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-16-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:46 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageBud View Post
A little over one year.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:10 PM

We have an electrical distribution box near our house. It can be heard, but, so far has not caused an vibration.....our house is block stucco.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:04 PM
Default for three years now

The neighbors unit makes that noise now, not the first two years we lived here, but the last three years. She took my recommendation and had a Munns tech. come out and check it out, and the tech told me her unit is working fine, and the noise is normal. He said that all the the homes heat pumps make that noise. Non of my other neighbors have that problem though, and mine does not do that. The tech said that I will have to live with the noise. I have never in my 60 years heard that noise from any heat pump, no matter how cold it was.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
The neighbors unit makes that noise now, not the first two years we lived here, but the last three years. She took my recommendation and had a Munns tech. come out and check it out, and the tech told me her unit is working fine, and the noise is normal. He said that all the the homes heat pumps make that noise. Non of my other neighbors have that problem though, and mine does not do that. The tech said that I will have to live with the noise. I have never in my 60 years heard that noise from any heat pump, no matter how cold it was.

The Munns tech lied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2018, 05:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

I have noticed a low frequency noise in the house during the recent cold spell, have not noticed it since the weather warmed up. I am GUESSING when the heat pump goes into heating mode there maybe a resonant noise frequency. In any case, this is the first time I recall hearing any low frequency noise over the last 4 winters.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:53 PM

It is the ac comp. . Munns changed ours and it was cured. Had a hard time convincing them but after three trips all was well
Old 01-23-2018, 07:45 PM

We have it at our house as well. I'm sure it is the air conditioner belonging to our next door neighbor. I got some good ear plugs.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:15 PM

I had that problem just last week...the A/C tech from SunKool tracked down the humming to the condenser lines that run up the outside wall of the house in a chase that looks like an aluminum downspout to the air handler in the attic. He moved the lines a little bit and solved the problem.
Closed Thread

Tags
house, vibration, units, pad--, concrete

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.