New homes quality?

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2019, 01:59 AM
Sage

We removed all the carpet before we moved into a brand new designer, installed granite throughout, ,replaced all the builder line ceiling fans-installed a vessel sink in the guest bath-, replaced standard disposal with a multi-stage disposal--and a lot of Hunter Douglas drapes, enclosed the lanai and installed motorized shades
Old 12-17-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Why do you close them? I can see turning off the water to the home so if say a washing machine hose breaks you are ok but I do not see the benefit to only turning off the toilets. What am I missing?
If you leave your home for an extended period without turning off the water supply and a hose breaks, the insurance company may deny payment.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:56 AM

My house in TV is 16+ years old and never had reason to shut off the water using the push/pull valves
Old 12-17-2019, 07:03 AM

My hubby shuts off all water to house and he is a plumber. Our friend was on vacation for a few days and came home to a flooded house. New wood floors were installed a few weeks before
Old 12-17-2019, 07:14 AM

Well you will once you have to replace the flush kit in the water closet. My home is 14 yrs old here and I have replaced all the flush kits in both my main home and my rental property which are both 14 yrs old.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:22 AM

I wouldn’t want to live next to a house that has had 30 renters in 5 years. The neighbors probably think it is a flop house.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
In my opinion, the construction quality in The Villages is comparable to houses being built in most areas of the Country. The house I sold in Virginia cost about 5 times the cost of my Villages house, but the construction quality was actually lower than The Villages construction. For example, I had several high walls where the drywall was very wavy because of crooked wood studs. In The Villages, they use metal studs for the high walls, which results in a straighter drywall finish. I also think the quality control is very good, and they will fix almost anything you don't like during the warranty period.
However, it has been our experience that they won't fix a "very wavy wall because of a crooked stud." We have one and the builder pulled out a sheet of paper and said it was within specs. We had a lot of "within specs" issues. AND, they don't use metal studs for high walls because this one is wood. House is less than one year old.

Our builder said they were using metal studs now, so we drove around and looked at new construction to see for ourselves. We saw the metal studs in kitchens and bathrooms where they can run the electrical through the "studs" with the pre-positioned holes. Not one had the metal studs in the entry where the high wall would be. That was in Monarch Grove...one of the newest areas South of 44.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,739 Times in 1,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Just to point out a few other construction quality features that I was impressed with in The Villages houses.

1. The interior doors and trim tolerances are some of the best I have seen. I am extremely picky, but I didn't need to ask the builder to adjust any of my doors.
2. The trim painting job was very neat and almost looked like it was factory coated.
3. T&D, who does most of the new concrete work is an excellent concrete company, and very helpful and responsive with warranty issues.
4. The Great Lakes flooring company is an excellent company that installs much of the new house flooring. Obviously, the carpet is cheap, but no carpeting is going last more than about 5 years anyway.
5. Munn's is an excellent HVAC company. This summer, they fixed my AC system within 4 hours on a Saturday under the 5 year warranty.
6. The designer push type light switches are usually an optional extra charge in new houses, but standard in The Villages.
7. The Villages warranty program is the best and most concerned about customer satisfaction that I have seen anywhere.

I was involved with construction work for over 40 years, and I don't think there is a problem with The Villages construction quality.
Same experience here on my recent construction. I visited daily as I like to see the progress and when appropriate, shake the hands and thank the people on site doing the work.

The process is highly optimized and standardized. Multiple specialized teams do the work that is inspected by more experienced workers and the supervisors. Materials delivered just in time. The construction sites are kept clean and optimized. The operation is a virtual factory in the field.

Many of the workers I met have over twenty years building for The Villages and know their stuff. They work hard, are humble, proud of their work and appreciate the continuous stream of employment.

Construction supervisors periodically visit each other's homes as a level of in process QC and discuss best practices.

There are roughly 20 formal inspection points. The County inspectors are there in the house, when needed. They provide both positive and negative feedback and told me anything noted for corrrection is addressed rapidly without debate.

Previous homes I've built and purchased closed before the last coat of paint was dry. The Villages adds 3-4 weeks to give time for several follow-up cleanings, inspections/touchup and to allow the sod and landscaping to be properly watered in.

The Villages truly has a great story to tell about their product and workers.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:20 AM

We built a new home here in the Villages in general a good experience but two things upset me to no end they never told me they used not washable flat wall paint. With a women design assistant she should have told us and we would have upgraded out paint choice. Second our sheetrock cracked in the living room and the builder told us this was a common occurrence in this model you wold think with all the building here the engineers would be able to redesign the trusses as to alleviate this problem.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:27 AM
Sage

Seam cracks in designer ceilings are common
Old 12-17-2019, 09:31 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

No plumber would ever install a push/pull valve when building a home outside of TV. They all recommend changing them when working on anything related to the shut off valve.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2000 View Post
My house in TV is 16+ years old and never had reason to shut off the water using the push/pull valves
Your original faucets have never leaked or dripped or had to be replaced? The single lever faucets in our bathrooms lasted only 8 years, the kitchen faucet dripped after 6 years. These bathroom faucets are worth about $25, to pay $16 for a new cartridge to fix them makes them really just a throw away. If you hire a plumber, such as Kiley & Sons to do the labor, they will require you to have the push-pull valves replaced.

The Villages Florida
Old 12-17-2019, 10:07 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
No plumber would ever install a push/pull valve when building a home outside of TV. They all recommend changing them when working on anything related to the shut off valve.

Not true.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:12 AM
Sage

If they are Delta faucets--there is a lifetime warranty on springs, seats--call them give them the model # of the faucet & or shower control--you'll get the parts in less than a week

The push/pull were predominantly used in manufactured homes--never saw them in " real" structures

Its a shame that valves, which require two hands to operate are used in a retirement community--the second had is required to prevent pulling the valve out of the wall
Old 12-17-2019, 12:09 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

Say OP besides all the fascination with water control devices, did you find your answer here yet?

All the Villages homes come with a warranty that will be responded to. Even after it expires the home warranty Dept can provide info on which numbers to call for those components that exceed the overall warranty. You are not. forgotten after the sale.

Is there some particular question you had such as the HVAC quality, best things to have upgraded by the builder or by you after construction?
Closed Thread

Tags
beige, north, valves, shutoff, push/pull

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.