New homes quality?

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2019, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,242 Posts

Not a fan of plastic valves either but Accor claims the valves come with 10-year residential warranty includes a prorated labor cost for any defective valve replacement.

ACCOR(R) Technology FAQs | ACCOR(R) Technology
Old 12-17-2019, 03:44 PM
Sage

Pro rated labor costs are BS
Old 12-17-2019, 05:33 PM

You fortunately have never returned home and found that the toilet, you never knew had a hairline crack in either the bowl or tank, let go and the water has been running so long it's now 3-4 inches deep throughout the house! All this could have been avoided by simply turning off the water at the toilets.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,697 Times in 5,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagjr1 View Post
You fortunately have never returned home and found that the toilet, you never knew had a hairline crack in either the bowl or tank, let go and the water has been running so long it's now 3-4 inches deep throughout the house! All this could have been avoided by simply turning off the water at the toilets.
I'm not sure what you are referring to, but closing the main water valve to the house will prevent the same type of leak and other leaks. No need to turn the water off at every toilet.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Why do you close them? I can see turning off the water to the home so if say a washing machine hose breaks you are ok but I do not see the benefit to only turning off the toilets. What am I missing?
Agree....we turn off the main water any time we will be away a couple or more days.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post

The homes are fine. No faulty construction.
What I noticed is the tiled shower floors that were not straight. Our home was build in 2007 and the tile on the floor of our master bath is straight as an arrow.....perfectly square in all the three corners that are square. There is an angled bench which also has perfectly placed tiles and are even on each side.

The shower floor tiles in a few of the models (when I started noticing) are way off on one end as opposed to the other end of the floor. For example....the cut tile starts out at say 1" at one end and winds up with 1 1/2" at the opposite end of the run. It just looks sloppy and the walls are out of square. I'm not saying this is faulty construction.....just sloppy construction.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Eichaker View Post
My hubby shuts off all water to house and he is a plumber. Our friend was on vacation for a few days and came home to a flooded house. New wood floors were installed a few weeks before
My friend in NJ sold her home and closed on the home. It was vacant for a couple of weeks. All was fine during the walk through. Come time for the new owners to move in, the ceiling fell through and there was a flood in the home. There was a pinhead size hole in the water line of the fridge.

Had they shut off the main water, this extensive damage would not have happened. Most people would notice a puddle of water coming from under the fridge so the damage would have been minimal.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

I am not sure what these push and pull valves are. I shut the main off whenever I head north but have know idea about any valve.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagjr1 View Post
Why turn the water off at only the toilets? Turn off the water at the main (in the garage) and ALL the water sources will be taken care of. It does not make sense to turn off just the toilets water valves. What if you have a leak in the water line of the fridge such as I just mentioned in a previous post?
Old 12-18-2019, 02:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Consider the builder's perspective. He has to meet code, after that point there is a finite amount to finish the home. Now would you spend your money on a slightly nicer light fixture, perhaps an extra ceiling fan or something that virtually no one will notice, much less care?

The carpet is new, clean and smells nice. The valves work. This covers over 99% of the target audience.

Are the valves the cheapest available, yup. Should the carpet be removed before you ever move in? That's a great idea!e

I do commend you for noticing, I thought that was was almost alone.

The homes are fine. No faulty construction.
I hope you’re not a Dem. but had to laugh at your picture with your handle. That picture looks like Joe Biden, now you see why I asked if you were Dem. Have a great week & Xmas!
Old 12-18-2019, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,697 Times in 5,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
I am not sure what these push and pull valves are. I shut the main off whenever I head north but have know idea about any valve.
If your toilet starts to overflow, reach down near the floor and pull out the round plastic thing on the water pipe. It will shut off the water and stop the overflow. That is the push-pull toilet valve. Some people think you turn it, but you don't. You pull it out to shut off the water supply to the toilet.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 12-18-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
If your toilet starts to overflow, reach down near the floor and pull out the round plastic thing on the water pipe. It will shut off the water and stop the overflow. That is the push-pull toilet valve. Some people think you turn it, but you don't. You pull it out to shut off the water supply to the toilet.
Yes and to help remember off has three letters and so does out.
On has two letters and so does in.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Yes and to help remember off has three letters and so does out.
On has two letters and so does in.
Thank you. Thank you! That is what helped me get through school.....by association. It really does work. I use that method to today.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:43 PM

The basic construction is mostly fine, but they do use the cheapest items where possible, such as the push-pull valves. Another example I know of: the plastic sides of the exterior garage lights were so thin and cheap that they disintegrated in 10 years. If that is now a standard item to replace every 10 years, too bad for America.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybe View Post
The basic construction is mostly fine, but they do use the cheapest items where possible, such as the push-pull valves. Another example I know of: the plastic sides of the exterior garage lights were so thin and cheap that they disintegrated in 10 years. If that is now a standard item to replace every 10 years, too bad for America.

The villages will never win a prize for quality construction which is what I think you are basically saying. I find the price of new homes to be high considering what you get or should I say what you don't get. They deliver the minimum based on code and I even find code to be archaic in some ways. As they say, you are buying the lifestyle (not necessarily the house) and it appears the lifestyle is getting more expensive, too!

Last edited by Rosebud2020; 12-19-2019 at 03:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Closed Thread

Tags
beige, north, valves, shutoff, push/pull

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.