New homes quality?

Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2019, 05:05 AM
Sage

Wish the following code changes would be in effect in TV, front entry doors open outward instead of inward and install fire rated doors between the garage & interior of the house and make a fire wall in the attic above the garage and main house
Old 12-19-2019, 06:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Wish the following code changes would be in effect in TV, front entry doors open outward instead of inward and install fire rated doors between the garage & interior of the house and make a fire wall in the attic above the garage and main house
Why would you want the entry door to swing out ? If it does

1. The hinges would be exposed threaten security
2. The wind could catch the door when opening
3. How would you install a screen door
4. You need to step backwards when entering with a handful of groceries
Old 12-19-2019, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
When entry doors open outwards, the hinges are on the exterior of the home. Exterior hinges on a door make it a snap to remove the door. I would not feel safe with a door that opens outward.

We have solid wood doors between the garage and the interior of our home. One door leads to the foyer and one door leads to the laundry room. Isn't a solid wood door considered a fire rated door?
Old 12-19-2019, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Why would you want the entry door to swing out ? If it does

1. The hinges would be exposed threaten security
2. The wind could catch the door when opening
3. How would you install a screen door
4. You need to step backwards when entering with a handful of groceries
Yup!
Old 12-19-2019, 07:35 AM
Sage

Its easier to kick in the typical villages front door than remove hinges--the doors in S.Florida must swing out/ for wind protection

There are security hinges with set screws that make it difficult to remove the pins
Old 12-19-2019, 08:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Its easier to kick in the typical villages front door than remove hinges--the doors in S.Florida must swing out/ for wind protection

There are security hinges with set screws that make it difficult to remove the pins
Help me with why outward is advantageous. I promise to be open minded. Have you ever had a door blow off it's frame when closed ? Can one imagine what kind of damage the rest of the house must get (example roof ) with that kind of force. Another cynical thought is it would be easier for a bad person to come to your door and rip it out of your hands exposing you rather than you having some protection of sheltering yourself behind the door when you first open it.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:33 AM
Sage

You should never open a door to a stranger that you don't recognize--
Old 12-19-2019, 09:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
You should never open a door to a stranger that you don't recognize--
also squirrels

Old 12-19-2019, 09:30 AM

Re: Home quality and construction.....how are your windows this AM if you live in Mallory? (especially on the "older" side)
Old 12-19-2019, 09:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladila2 View Post
Re: Home quality and construction.....how are your windows this AM if you live in Mallory? (especially on the "older" side)
Is there an older side of Mallory ? I know Mallory was like half built when the tornado hit. Is that what is newer Vs older side ? If so did construction change at that point ? If so was it due to first hand experience with the tornado?
Old 12-19-2019, 10:38 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook
Smile

[QUOTE=Toymeister;1702518]Say OP besides all the fascination with water control devices, did you find your answer here yet?

I give up - no one seems to buy anything that is not top notch. Opinions are like you know what - but opinions can be changed.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranford61 View Post
I wouldn’t want to live next to a house that has had 30 renters in 5 years. The neighbors probably think it is a flop house.
Actually, I know all the nieghbors and have asked - None have any complaints. Most say the renters are excellent and polite. The winter renters actually attend most of the local village events. I keep the rentals looking as good as or better than the other houses in the neighborhood. My wife interviews all our tenants -they are all very nice people.

I actually think Renters are nicer than some permanent residents because they don't discriminate...
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 12-19-2019, 10:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagjr1 View Post
You fortunately have never returned home and found that the toilet, you never knew had a hairline crack in either the bowl or tank, let go and the water has been running so long it's now 3-4 inches deep throughout the house! All this could have been avoided by simply turning off the water at the toilets.
Why don't you just turn off the water to the whole house using the shutoff valve for the house? Way easier
Old 12-19-2019, 10:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
We removed all the carpet before we moved into a brand new designer, installed granite throughout, ,replaced all the builder line ceiling fans-installed a vessel sink in the guest bath-, replaced standard disposal with a multi-stage disposal--and a lot of Hunter Douglas drapes, enclosed the lanai and installed motorized shades
None of those things speak to the quality of the build. Most of them are taste issues - for instance my wife and I hate vessel sinks and granite counter tops... The fans that come with the house work great, and I have no idea what is wrong with the disposals-they work great..
at least the ones that came with our house.
As far as the carpet - yes it is builder grade, but it still looks great in both our rentals after 8 and 5 years - and we just clean it every other year..
Old 12-19-2019, 10:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
No plumber would ever install a push/pull valve when building a home outside of TV. They all recommend changing them when working on anything related to the shut off valve.
Sorry, They are standard in Wisconsin. I have done a lot of toilet work over the years and I prefer these to the steel ones that leak. I even had to change the actual valve out (long story, my fault), and I replaced it with a plastic push/pull valve. My home in Wisconsin is 13 years old and was built with them and never an issue. So I think you should check your facts.
Closed Thread

Tags
beige, north, valves, shutoff, push/pull

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.